Q8 Tape Player Gallery!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EYG: Try turning all four "recording" level knobs all the way up. On my 858, they were also active during playback as output level adjustments. I always set mine to full unless I was recording.

Yea, I had them all the way up, I found a good setting by ear, and they are the line out levels. The tapes are not dragging now, that could have been because the whole unit is room temperature and not freezing. The static is still there on most tapes unless I set it to repeat. I'm gonna have to try a recording soon

Just got this beauty on eBay a couple weeks ago for $112.50. So far, it is a flawless machine. The Harman/Kardon Model 8+. All the functions work smoothly, and the super shiny head tells me it was rarely used.

Attachments

• DSCN0932.jpg
    DSCN0932.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN0938.jpg
    DSCN0938.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 379
Just picked up this beauty last week on eBay for $26.00. I fully cleaned it and now its works excellent. Absolutely no crackle when sliding/turning knobs. Pretty rare find, considering how most Automotive Quad 8 Players are missing parts or are in rough shape. Really cool how the "Craig" lights up when a Quad tape is entered. This Craig Quad 8-Track Player was assembled and inspected in Compton, California. Also, the head shows signs of very little use.

Attachments

• Doob Quad 1.jpg
    Doob Quad 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 371
  • Doob Stereo 3.jpg
    Doob Stereo 3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Craig Head.jpg
    Craig Head.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 345
  • Front Lid.jpg
    Front Lid.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 358
The very first piece of audio gear I ever owned myself was that the GE in your first photo. It's long gone and I've been trying to locate another just for nostalgic reasons. Any idea what the model number is? I believe its an SC42XX something but haven't been able to locate anything until now.

Thanks -

I have that very Craig Quad deck in my '70 Gremlin. Good transport on that one. It can play any tape thrown at it. I think it puts out a whopping 4 watts but for the era, that ain't bad. I've got it driving 4 vintage Craig speakers (4 ohm) and the sound is good. My newest acquisition is a Toyo CS-721 QAudio car unit. $23, brand new in the box! Of course, it's belt had turned to goo and the "bridge" that makes the channel lights come on needed some work, but now it's mechanically sound. I've yet to hook it up. I'm curious to see what the "one button balance control" actually does. The manual says to press the button if only the driver is in the car, or to release the button when other people are in the car!

"One Button Balance Control" attenuates the left front speaker, since it's closest to the driver.

Not meaning to be a bitch, BUT I just discovered this thread. Your system is AWESOME, Q-Eight. The AN-300 (under the SH-3433) is a Teac, not an Akai.

These photos are a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Currently, I own a CR-80DSS Akai, which was the first Quad piece I owned. It and my SH-3433 have been part of my three main systems over the years. My second system has an RS-847US Panasonic 4ch player-only. My QP-444 Pioneer and Realistic Quad car decks are retired and in a box.

I sold all the Craig's, Audiovox and Sony listed here. I had a RS-858 for a short while when it was new. The motor on it and my RS-847 aren't as strong as the Akai.

Sorry, I rarely snap photos.

I have that very Craig Quad deck in my '70 Gremlin. Good transport on that one. It can play any tape thrown at it. I think it puts out a whopping 4 watts but for the era, that ain't bad. I've got it driving 4 vintage Craig speakers (4 ohm) and the sound is good. My newest acquisition is a Toyo CS-721 QAudio car unit. $23, brand new in the box! Of course, it's belt had turned to goo and the "bridge" that makes the channel lights come on needed some work, but now it's mechanically sound. I've yet to hook it up. I'm curious to see what the "one button balance control" actually does. The manual says to press the button if only the driver is in the car, or to release the button when other people are in the car!

And with a dry, cool wit like that..... you could be an action hero! :)

But back on topic, I DID spot a mid 70's Corvette at the Portland Swapmeet a few weeks ago with a Panasonic CQ-999 in the dash! Looked like a very nice installation - I almost didn't notice it. But then I also looked around and couldn't find any back speakers. I couldn't find the owner to chat but I couldn't figure out why anybody would install a Quad deck and not take advantage of at least having 4-speaker stereo.

I DID spot a mid 70's Corvette at the Portland Swapmeet a few weeks ago with a Panasonic CQ-999 in the dash! ... But then I also looked around and couldn't find any back speakers. I couldn't find the owner to chat but I couldn't figure out why anybody would install a Quad deck and not take advantage of at least having 4-speaker stereo.

Likely (s)he doesn't own any Quad tapes, or spent so much money on the car that (s)he didn't have the $$$ for those rear speakers. "Hey, these tapes all sound funky. It's like some of the music is missing!?!"

A couple of my Quad players here, as someone had mentioned the Panasonic convertible unit in a previous post.

Panasonic Model CX-601EU in the Home Mounting Cabinet Model CJ16-HEU.
I have recently restored it and it is painted in the Red Candy Metallic Tinted color of our 2011 Ford Edge Sport, as we had to have the rear bumper repainted recently and I had them do a few extra pieces!
I am dialing it in while temporarily set-up in the office. I may install it in the main bedroom?
I have the fronts going through a Yamaha powered subwoofer, YST-SW215. I would like to find another to send the rears through. I replaced the speakers with modern vehicle 4 inchers. It really sounds amazing and I know another subwoofer for the rears will balance it even better.
103_0022.jpg
103_0021.jpg
103_0023.jpg
103_0024.jpg

Miida Model 5000
on top of the Panasonic RS-855US (non-quad, mostly used for FF)
on top of the Westbury 8100 (non-quad, fabulous-sounding deck through Bose speakers/subwoofer)
103_0025.jpg
103_0026.jpg

And a gratuitous shot of some of my other 8-track collectibles. Trans-comm brand am/fm / cb radio / 8-track player contraptions built into Flambeau brand tackle boxes, manufactured in the Kansas City area. Some models had just a CB radio, some CB and am/fm radio, some CB and 8-track, one with CB, am/fm, and 8-track player.

I have collected 5 of the 8 models, and there is a picture of one with a Marine radio in it in a 1976 electronics magazine, though I'm unsure what model below had the marine radio:

Model 2700: w/8 TRACK Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1983
Model 2400: ROYCE Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1983
Model 1600: DIESEL DADDY Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1982
Model 1400: SWAMPER Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1982
Model 2800: Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1983
Model 2500: ROYCE w/8 TRACK Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 -1983
Model 1700: BIG RIG Trans-comm CB Radio - Car 1977 - 1982
Model 1500: GEAR JAMMER Trans-comm CB Radio -,Car 1977 - 1982

You may also spot my working 4-track Lear Jet player and 4-track tapes, my non-quad Panasonic Home Mounting Cabinet Model CJ-18HEU with Player/FM Radio CQ-880EU (I also have the non-FM radio CX-880EU and a car mount), as well as my, reportedly rare, folding 8-track.:banana:
103_0019.jpg

Sorry for the non-quad stuff. I can remove it if not appropriate. I thought some might like to see the Trans-comm portables, though.

Quite a collection, workmeistr and welcome to QQ. I had originally considered buying the Panasonic convertible Q8, but wound up getting a Pioneer QP-444 for the car, and an Akai CR-80DSS for the home. It's a beauty, though!

So what's the verdict of history? Which of these Q8 players is now the most highly regarded by audiophiles?

:confused:

I'll go with Akai CR-80DSS. It has the strongest motor and actually records in Quad. It was my first Quad piece and has been on every main system of mine since. I made lots of homebrew Q8's back in the day on ConvertaQuad cartridges. I also own an RS-847US Technics Q8 player, which is on my second system. It and the RS-858US I had also owned are wonderful decks. Their motors aren't anywhere as stong as the Akai, which means that a "very tight tape pack" can sometimes stop.

I sold all the component hifi brands available in the US. Most don't record in Quad. Many have weak motors. Sony & h/k players were very good (they're the same.)

There were many good car Q8 decks. I own an Pioneer QP-444 and a Realistic, both retired. QP-444 is one of the best. Sony TC-84 and the Panasonics are also very good.

it does record in quad? thats cool, I didnt realize, I just love pseudo-scopes and directional controls on 8 track units

I thought only the Wollensak, Akai and Panasonic/Technics had quad recording capabilities?........I wonder if Superscope made a quad recorder?, I think their parent company is marantz

I just need a technics sa 6700x, then I will have a real oscilliscope, 4 vu-meters, and directional control (I already have the technics sh-1010 quad remote so I just need a technics unit to hook it up to)

the marantz 4400's are just too expensive (and ugly, squares for buttons....they always look like they are not aligned correctly....yuck awful looking reciever in my books)

im suprised no one has chimed in about the wollensak units, its appears to be the forgotten quad deck, the 8080 looks like a pretty cool unit, with some wierd features added on (plus it has dolby reduction)

The 8080 only records 2 channel it has 2 meters which are the front L/R channels,the dolby only works on the front channels a big disappointment The 8080 was the most expensive deck back in the day more than the RS858,CR80Dss,etc.
Panasonic also had a quad/2 channel 2 meter 2 channel record deck RS855
I have these decks as well but I don't use them.

panasonic8-trackrecordermodelrs-855_1.jpg

CC

Attachments

• panasonic8-trackrecordermodelrs-855_1.jpg
    panasonic8-trackrecordermodelrs-855_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 260
I take it that the quad 8-track players would have no problem playing regular stereo 8-tracks.

Twould also seem to me as if tape, 8-track or otherwise, wouldn't present the decoding problems inherent in quad vinyl and that tape could therefore offer better quad than could vinyl. Am I wrong?

Quad 8 players allow you to play 2 stereo 8 tracks at once. KIDDING!! :ugham:

Yes, they play stereo 8's, as 2ch, of course. There is a notch in the upper left hand corner of Q8's. All Quad players recognize the notch, and will only play 2channels when the notch isn't sensed.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Quad 8 cartridges are DISCRETE and play two programs of four channels. There is no decoding. Q4 Quad reels are also DISCRETE. Stereo 8's play 4 programs of two channels. Either have a total of 8 tracks.

There have been a few "Quad" matrix encoded cassettes and 8 tracks. They don't decode well because of head alignment issues. The phase information can be severely compromised by alignment and it will decode poorly. Hence, the reason that tapes were nearly always DISCRETE.

I take it that the quad 8-track players would have no problem playing regular stereo 8-tracks.

Twould also seem to me as if tape, 8-track or otherwise, wouldn't present the decoding problems inherent in quad vinyl and that tape could therefore offer better quad than could vinyl. Am I wrong?

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Quad 8 cartridges are DISCRETE and play two programs of four channels. There is no decoding.

I'm trying to determine whether there's something I don't understand. It seems to me that quad tape should be better than quad vinyl because there is no decoding necessary in quad tapes because, as you say, the tapes are DISCRETE as per this definition:

Wikipedia said:
Discrete reproduction is the only true Quadraphonic system. As its name suggests, with discrete formats the original four audio channels are passed through a four-channel transmission medium and presented to a four-channel reproduction system and fed to four speakers. This is defined as a 4–4–4 system.

Yet you're saying I'm wrong which is leaving me bewildered. What am I wrong about?

Back