Q8's need some help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenceo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I finally added an Akai CR-80D-SS to my Akai rack, only took 30 years. I usually collect Quad LP's, but I've gathered a few Q8's along the way. They all need a bit of help. New splice, new pads and anything else I find wrong with them. I thought I would see if anyone here has any links to few "How To" sites. Thanks,

Spence

spenceo said:
I finally added an Akai CR-80D-SS to my Akai rack, only took 30 years. I usually collect Quad LP's, but I've gathered a few Q8's along the way. They all need a bit of help. New splice, new pads and anything else I find wrong with them. I thought I would see if anyone here has any links to few "How To" sites. Thanks,

Spence
Do a search for "8 TRACK HEAVEN". Ton's of info there.

Splicing tape I found on Ebay. Splicers are still available at Radio Shack or Ebay. For pads I used some window insulation that I found at Home Depot that was around the same size.

Splicers are still available at Radio Shack

Many Radio Shacks have been closing out all legacy tape items since 2003. Sad to say, but a sign of the times.

dauQula said:
Many Radio Shacks have been closing out all legacy tape items since 2003. Sad to say, but a sign of the times.

That's too bad. I actually bought sensing foil brand new at a Radio shack only a few years ago.

I know you can still get head cleaner at least!

Also, buy some old tapes from Ebay-the stuff nobody wants that are cheap. I have used many an old Lawrence Welk tape as spare parts.

jrahrah said:
Also, buy some old tapes from Ebay-the stuff nobody wants that are cheap. I have used many an old Lawrence Welk tape as spare parts.

Really? Don't the Lawrence Welk parts cause "tiny bubbles" on the Q8 shell? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

jrahrah said:

Spare parts are one thing. I'm amazed at how many different styles and types of shells, wheels, and tape carriers there were. Like quad LP systems in the 70's, all these part variations usually are incompatible with one another. The other thing is the tape itself. I don't think Lawrence Welk ever put out a long double album on 8-track, but that's what you need for length if you want to replace a Q8 copy to replace a Q8 that's been hopelessly destroyed by a hungry machine. I've noticed that 90min sealed blanks (suitable for quad dubs) are commanding top prices lately. Expect to see a new round of Kiss Q8's showing up soon. :(

bizmopeen said:
Really? Don't the Lawrence Welk parts cause "tiny bubbles" on the Q8 shell? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

They have been known to do that , but the one's that really do is anything from Don Ho.

Back