QQ 20th Anniversary on July 9th!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
July 9th, 2023 will be the 20th Anniversary of QuadraphonicQuad as we know it today. It's gone through quite a few changes, and new ownership, but it's been pretty much the same old since I created this first post almost 20 years ago. Very cool I must say.

Along the way we've met a lot of people, made a lot of friends, and sadly lost a few along the way, for one reason or another.

Regardless, I have to say that you all have been the greatest group of people I know on the internet, and when you consider how few problems we've had with all of the different people who have popped in here over the years, it's a great testament to you all for this is one of the most friendly, cordial and laid back internet forums I have ever seen.

Twenty years - my how time flies!!!

For old times sake, here is a link to the first every post on the vBulletin QQ Forum, made by me of course!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/new-forum-is-open-first-thread-on-qq-2003.1810/

July 9th, 2023 will be the 20th Anniversary of QuadraphonicQuad as we know it today. It's gone through quite a few changes, and now ownership, but it's been pretty much the same old since I created this first post almost 20 years ago. Very cool I must say.

Along the way we've met a lot of people, made a lot of friends, and sadly lost a few along the way, for one reason or another.

Regardless, I have to say that you all have been the greatest group of people I know on the internet, and when you consider how few problems we've had with all of the different people who have popped in here over the years, it's a great testament to you all for this is one of the most friendly, cordial and laid back internet forums I have ever seen.

@JonUrban many thanks for all your efforts to establish and maintain this wonderful community. QQ has brought me so much joy and I have also learned so much.

I was approximately 20 years old when the MCH SACD and DVD-Audio discs were hitting the shelves at Circuit City and Best Buy. I bought one out of curiosity and I was hooked! Imagine my surprise when I discovered that “ancient relics” like CD-4 and Q8 existed. 😎

I’ve been a quadaholic since the early 1970s when I got my Sony SQD-1000. Of course, along the way there have been plenty of ups and downs, and I’m still not at the peak I know I can achieve, but this forum is certainly a source of inspiration, even at great financial cost! Thanks @JonUrban for your foresight in giving birth to a great place to meet new friends.

I’m not much into social media, but I’m here every day.

July 9th, 2023 will be the 20th Anniversary of QuadraphonicQuad as we know it today. It's gone through quite a few changes, and new ownership, but it's been pretty much the same old since I created this first post almost 20 years ago. Very cool I must say.

For old times sake, here is a link to the first every post on the vBulletin QQ Forum, made by me of course!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/new-forum-is-open-first-thread-on-qq-2003.1810/
Congrats on being such a Quadravisionary Jon!

But when I click on your link to the 1st post it says the 8th, not the 9th. At any rate it was delightful reading that thread & fun to see @Bob Romano was the 1st member to respond. So his 20th Forum Anniversary is coming up too!

I got in on the fun a couple of years later. Like @barfle I'm not into other social media except passively. QQ is my home away from home. I just wish some of the great people I've "met" here could be my neighbors.

"Build it and they will come".....you certainly did and we came! I have been able to gain friends and hear from many interesting people....what a great job you did...something that will be here long after some of us are gone....Speaking of people who aren't here anymore...did something happen to bmoura...his last post was in 2020...when Covid was causing havoc on our lives....I hope he wasn't a victim..

Last edited:
It's not overstating things to say that this forum changed my life. It's not that I didn't know about quad and other surround options prior to that, but I had never before encountered so much specific information about it until this came along.

But my memory clearly has gaps in it...I remember getting a Tate while working in San Francisco, which I stopped doing in June 2000. And I'm sure I wouldn't have known why I wanted such a thing without a forum like this. Were we a Yahoo group or something similar prior to this?

Anyway, I genuinely can't thank you enough. I'd have missed out on so much fun without what you built!

"Build it and they will come".....you certainly did and we came! I have been able to gain friends and hear from many interesting people....what a great job you did...something that will be here long after some of us are gone....Speaking of people who aren't here anymore...did something happen to bmoura...his last post was in 2020...when Covid was causing havoc on our lives....I hope he wasn't a victim..
he's still going Mr.E, i saw him chipping in on a Facebook group the other day 🙂

Jon, thanks so much for starting this forum and all the time that you have spent on running this site.
Then on top of that for most of the years this site has been running on your own hard earned money so that we could hang out here and learn all about this magical surround music world.
You are a QQ HERO, :)

Wow, 20 years, I didn't realise I joined up that early(aug,2003) to when this site started.
As you said,"Time Flies' and isn't it something that another surround hero wrote a great song on that subject.
Thankyou Steven Wilson(Porcupine Tree-Time Flies).

Yes, thankyou Jon. I have been here since the beginning pretty much. I have learned a lot. When I sold my physical collection a few years back almost all the discs were sold on this site to QQ members. A big help. Things have changed a lot since then. Who could have imagined that we would have a service like Apple that offered Atmos titles for $10 a month! Anyway, thanks again.

Back