Quadblocking! (Courtesy of Mobile Fidelity)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
What this thread aims to do is provide a central resource for listing stereo-only Mobile Fidelity SACD titles that have either had Quad or 5.1 mixes released in the past. This is so we can all better understand which titles are not available (at the moment) for Audio Fidelity to license and release themselves as Multichannel SACDs.

So here they are:

Miles Davis - "Bitches Brew" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Miles Davis - "Sketches of Spain" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVD)
The Band - "The Last Waltz" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
The Band - "Music from Big Pink" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
The Doobie Brothers - "Toulouse Street" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Doobie Brothers - "What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Doobie Brothers - "Stampede" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Santana" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Caravanserai" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Abraxas" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - "Love Devotion Surrender" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Grateful Dead - "Workingman's Dead" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Grateful Dead - "American Beauty" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Chicago - "Chicago Transit Authority" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Chicago - "Chicago II" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s and a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Chicago - "Chicago VI" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Billy Joel - "Turnstiles" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Billy Joel - "Piano Man" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Earth Wind & Fire - "That's The Way Of The World" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Edgar Winter Group - "They Only Come Out At Night" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Desire" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Planet Waves" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Nashville Skyline" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Foreigner - "Foreigner" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Carly Simon - "Carly Simon" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carly Simon - "Hotcakes" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carly Simon - "No Secrets" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s and a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Carole King - "Music" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Janis Joplin - "Pearl" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s exclusively in Japan)

Please use this as a guide when suggesting titles for release as Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs, cause if they are on this list, it's likely they are not able to be released as SACDs again.

(Finally, I'm deliberately leaving off titles already available on Multichannel SACD from other labels from this list.)

Last edited:
Should this one be on the list? The 1970s quad mix has already been released officially, albeit not SACD.

Yes, because like you said, it's never been released as a Multichannel SACD. That's the format that Audio Fidelity deals with right now, so a release on DVD is not an issue for them. It's the stereo-only SACD from MOFI that's what's causing the issue.

Ok, ladies and gents, I think we have a list!
I went through Discogs, Acoustic Sounds, MusicDirect, and MOFI's website to help put this list together.
It should be completely comprehensive, but if there's something I missed, let me know! :)

Good work! Meaning none of these will likely never see the light of day (in terms of AF sacd surround)? :(

Good work! Meaning none of these will likely never see the light of day (in terms of AF sacd surround)? :(

That's right, or if they were eventually reissued by AF, it could be years from now, cause who knows how long MOFI's reissue licenses are valid for.

I'd still like to see AF try dipping their toe in the water and release one title that's previously been released as a stereo SACD just to see how it sells. That's the Way of the World or What's Going On (if the master can be located) would be perfect contenders. Both are classics and were big sellers. Take That's the Way of the World for example. The MoFi SACD has been out of print for a long time and is now starting to fetch higher prices on eBay, Discogs, etc... MoFi released it over a decade ago so I am sure their license must have expired by now. They could add extra value to the stereo layer by having Hoffman master it. (I'm not trying to start a pro or anti Hoffman argument here, but there is a niche market for SACDs mastered by him.) Could be worth a shot. If the experiment went well it could open the door for titles like Piano Man years down the road.

What this thread aims to do is provide a central resource for listing stereo-only Mobile Fidelity SACD titles that have either had Quad or 5.1 mixes released in the past. This is so we can all better understand which titles are not available (at the moment) for Audio Fidelity to license and release themselves as Multichannel SACDs.

So here they are:

Miles Davis - "Bitches Brew" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Miles Davis - "Sketches of Spain" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVD)
The Band - "The Last Waltz" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
The Band - "Music from Big Pink" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
The Doobie Brothers - "Toulouse Street" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Doobie Brothers - "What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Doobie Brothers - "Stampede" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Santana" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Caravanserai" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Santana - "Abraxas" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - "Love Devotion Surrender" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Grateful Dead - "Workingman's Dead" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Grateful Dead - "American Beauty" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Chicago - "Chicago Transit Authority" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Chicago - "Chicago II" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s and a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Chicago - "Chicago VI" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Billy Joel - "Turnstiles" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Billy Joel - "Piano Man" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Earth Wind & Fire - "That's The Way Of The World" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
The Edgar Winter Group - "They Only Come Out At Night" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Desire" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Planet Waves" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Bob Dylan - "Nashville Skyline" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Foreginer - "Foreginer" (Released as a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Carly Simon - "Carly Simon" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carly Simon - "Hotcakes" (Released as a Quadraphonic Mix in the 1970s)
Carly Simon - "No Secrets" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s and a 5.1 surround DVDA in the 2000s)
Carole King - "Music" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Janis Joplin - "Pearl" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s)
Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On" (Released as a Quadraphonic mix in the 1970s exclusively in Japan)

Please use this as a guide when suggesting titles for release as Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs, cause if they are on this list, it's likely they are not able to be released as SACDs again.

(Finally, I'm deliberately leaving off titles already available on Multichannel SACD from other labels from this list.)

Great List, Ryan.

Technically, Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain was synthesized from Columbia's THREE TRACK Masters to create a 5.1 soundfield for Monster Music's DVD.

Santana Abraxas was also released as a DTS 5.1 RBCD (although derided in many circles I personally like it)

Correct the spelling of FOREIGNER.

WHY can't AF release the fabulous now OOP CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY 4.0 released a few years back as a RHINO DTS 4.0 DVD (NO STEREO, just 4.0) as a single~layered Multichannel [LOSSLESS] SACD (No RBCD/No Stereo) so as not to compete with MoFi's hybrid Stereo SACD? I know it's against the grain, but imagine how great it would sound?

I'd still like to see AF try dipping their toe in the water and release one title that's previously been released as a stereo SACD just to see how it sells. That's the Way of the World or What's Going On (if the master can be located) would be perfect contenders. Both are classics and were big sellers. Take That's the Way of the World for example. The MoFi SACD has been out of print for a long time and is now starting to fetch higher prices on eBay, Discogs, etc... MoFi released it over a decade ago so I am sure their license must have expired by now. They could add extra value to the stereo layer by having Hoffman master it. (I'm not trying to start a pro or anti Hoffman argument here, but there is a niche market for SACDs mastered by him.) Could be worth a shot. If the experiment went well it could open the door for titles like Piano Man years down the road.

The Quad master for "What's Going On" is probably lost, plus despite its OOP status, Brian has stated recently that "That's the Way Of The World" is still under license for SACD release from another company. A MOFI reissue or a release from another company? Who knows, but that probably explains why AF are releasing lesser known EWF titles on SACD.
Finally, in a broader sense, as long as a title like "Piano Man" is still in stock, AF are likely not to go near it themselves, either cause they can't, they don't want to, or both.

Yes, because like you said, it's never been released as a Multichannel SACD. That's the format that Audio Fidelity deals with right now, so a release on DVD is not an issue for them. It's the stereo-only SACD from MOFI that's what's causing the issue.

i have a solution: Release all of those MOFI quad blocked SACDs as Blu-ray Audios!

Great List, Ryan.

Technically, Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain was synthesized from Columbia's THREE TRACK Masters to create a 5.1 soundfield for Monster Music's DVD.

Santana Abraxas was also released as a DTS 5.1 RBCD (although derided in many circles I personally like it)

Correct the spelling of FOREIGNER.

WHY can't AF release the fabulous now OOP CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY 4.0 released a few years back as a RHINO DTS 4.0 DVD (NO STEREO, just 4.0) as a single~layered Multichannel [LOSSLESS] SACD (No RBCD/No Stereo) so as not to compete with MoFi's hybrid Stereo SACD? I know it's against the grain, but imagine how great it would sound?

Thanks for letting me know about the misspelling of Foreigner. I corrected that.
The DTS-CD release of "Abraxas" was the 70s Quad mix. It may or may not have been retooled for 5.1, but at heart, it's still the same mix.
Finally, AFAIK, there's no such thing as a single-layer Multichannel SACD without a stereo layer, and we all know that AF are not going to throw out the CD and stereo SACD layers just to get a particular title out to please us Multichannel fanatics. It just is what it is, unfortunately.

i have a solution: Release all of those MOFI quad blocked SACDs as Blu-ray Audios!

Great solution, Homer, but in case you haven't noticed BD~A is becoming an endangered species unto itself. Almost NO new BD~A titles have been announced save for a few esoteric labels. NONE of the reissue companies have ever released a BD~A so they would have to come from the majors which is doubtful at this juncture.

Thanks for letting me know about the misspelling of Foreigner. I corrected that.
The DTS-CD release of "Abraxas" was the 70s Quad mix. It may or may not have been retooled for 5.1, but at heart, it's still the same mix.
Finally, AFAIK, there's no such thing as a single-layer Multichannel SACD without a stereo layer, and we all know that AF are not going to throw out the CD and stereo SACD layers just to get a particular title out to please us Multichannel fanatics. It just is what it is, unfortunately.

Ryan, you're are probably 100% correct in assuming that AF would never release Chicago Transit Authority as a single layered mch SACD but the ONLY precedent I know is Telarc's mch SACD of Erich Kunzel's THE BIG PICTURE which eliminates the STEREO SACD layer due to time constrictions [but it does include the RBCD STEREO layer] http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4375

Great solution, Homer, but in case you haven't noticed BD~A is becoming an endangered species unto itself. Almost NO new BD~A titles have been announced save for a few esoteric labels. NONE of the reissue companies have ever released a BD~A so they would have to come from the majors which is doubtful at this juncture.

Unfortunatley you're right, but same is true for DVD-A and to some extent SACD too, especially multichannel SACD!

I was suggesting a way to unblock some quad gems. I don't care about the format. I want the content.

Unfortunatley you're right, but same is true for DVD-A and to some extent SACD too, especially multichannel SACD!

I was suggesting a way to unblock some quad gems. I don't care about the format. I want the content.

Homer, a year or two ago SONY announced a 'slew' of 'upcoming' BD~A titles and everyone was excited but unfortunately, they NEVER materialized. Ditto for Warners who didn't go so far as list pre~announced titles but were supposedly 'on board' to launch their own BD~A program.

And we all know what happened with Universal's BD~A launch. At first, stereo only.....then a few multichannel items....then ZILCH.

IMO, 'potentially' BD~A was probably the greatest of ALL formats but was underutilized [usually one album per BD~A which could hold several], misappropriated [mch masters were released in STEREO) and eventually self~destruction. Put ZEROS in charge of a new launch and what can one expect?

Seems to be a trend with ALL the physical hi res formats. They NEVER got it right!

Enter Audio Fidelity.......IMO, a "MODEL" Company......they announce mch SACD titles and within a month or two they're 'magically' in our possession. So we don't agree with ALL their choices.......but when did we EVER agree with any of the Major's choices, as well, when they launched their DVD~A, SACD or BD~A programs.......only to SUDDENLY abort them.

The Quad master for "What's Going On" is probably lost, plus despite its OOP status, Brian has stated recently that "That's the Way Of The World" is still under license for SACD release from another company. A MOFI reissue or a release from another company? Who knows, but that probably explains why AF are releasing lesser known EWF titles on SACD.
Finally, in a broader sense, as long as a title like "Piano Man" is still in stock, AF are likely not to go near it themselves, either cause they can't, they don't want to, or both.

I was only using That's the Way and What's Going On as examples. My point was that I'd hate to see AF rule out a 5.1 or 4.0 SACD reissue just because another label issued a 2.0 SACD many years ago. From what I've read, it seems to be their thinking that they don't want to issue any title on SACD if it's ever been issued in that format by another label.

Great post(s). Makes me fume thinking that the current company using the MFSL name fails to even consider using the quad masters on their SACD releases. As I've noted before, MFSL's founder was a leader in 4 channel sound in the quad era, and for the remains of his company to be the quadblockers is a total disgust.

I have lost all enthusiasm, what little I had, for the MFSL product, and especially it's owner, Music Direct. Fortunately, there are other audiophile retailers out there like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc (among others) so those not wishing to support Music Direct for their audiophile options have other places to spend their money.

I'd still like to see AF try dipping their toe in the water and release one title that's previously been released as a stereo SACD just to see how it sells.

Actually that has been done.

The album "Blood, Sweat & Tears" was released by both Sony (Single Layer Stereo SACD) and Mobile Fidelity (Hybrid Layer Stereo SACD) as Stereo SACDs and then was released by Audio Fidelity as a Multichannel SACD.
https://audiofidelity.net/product/blood-sweat-tearsblood-sweat-tears

Back