Quadio bundle #4. Let the speculation begin!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passport - Hand Made
image_2024-02-12_203620377.png

This was my concern:
"....a deal that comprises interests in his publishing catalog and recorded music, as well as some name and likeness rights."
Yes but until those agreements expire, then the labels Stewart has signed to still will control those assets. It's just that Stewart will not be collecting the royalty checks after this sale goes through. Sometimes the deals never do expire.

Are there any Doobie Brothers titles after the Quadio box that could be released in Quad? Any Little Feat titles?
If I were in charge and the funding was available as well - I would be on the phone to Steven Wilson asking if he has any available time later this year, and that there are a few album multitracks samples I'd like him to listen to and consider for 5.1 (as well as a down-mix to 4.0).

Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
Warner Bros. – BS 2686 (1973)

Little Feat – Feats Don't Fail Me Now
Warner Bros. – BS 2784 (1974)

The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute
Warner Bros. – BSK 3193 (1978)

And while Wilson might not be exactly thrilled with all of these above three selections, I have one in which he might be like totally stoked about, a little off the beaten path, not exactly a chart topper, but an artist's finest recording / production job, and fan favorite album if he'd like to take a shot at something rather unique and special (I swear I believe that the multitracks are there at Warner Records):

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band – Clear Spot
Reprise Records – MS-2115 (1972)

See this covers artistic attainment, longevity of interest, commercial potential, and avant-garde creativity. Beefheart in 4.0 and 5.1 would open up the interest in this class A album to a new audience, and well as the old folks who know it as a stone classic.

How is that for a Quadio bundle once we've gotten about 12 or 16 more reissues in hand.

Last edited:
I just read where Rod Stewart has sold his entire catalog. I wonder if this might affect the possibility of Rhino issuing the unreleased quad version of Atlantic Crossing.
https://variety.com/2024/music/news...-catalog-irving-azoff-100-million-1235912111/

The article says he's a partner in his music with irving-azoff. So I would assume he still has some say with regards to his tunes in this partnership.

Now I want them , to sell me , ( as I'm certain we all want), his quad recordings of ; Smiler , and Atlantic Crossing .

I don’t know if this is going to get us any Quad from Rod Stewart. It sounds like another hassle to have to deal with. $100 million is a lot of money though. And will have to be made up in some way. So, deluxe box sets or Atmos mixes might be coming. I can’t imagine streaming what’s already there will do it. Of course money is made by publishing.

Steve will have to let us know, if he’s able to, if the Quad of AC is still a bump in the road, or now a roadblock.

If you think about it, Rhino has kinda surprised us each time they came out with the Quadio bundle. The first was definitely Paranoid. Who would have thought that such an iconic album would be available in the original quad mix? And it sold out quickly... enough for a repress (I assume, since it's available again.). The second bundle was Mingus. Although not my taste in music, it was quite unique. And this last bundle was War. Unless you were really paying attention to what record company has rights to what, it was quite a shocker!! And a great one at that!

I hope the Rhino folks have another "oh wow" in this next bundle, too.

If I were in charge and the funding was available as well - I would be on the phone to Steven Wilson asking if he has any available time later this year, and that there are a few album multitracks samples I'd like him to listen to and consider for 5.1 (as well as a down-mix to 4.0).

Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
Warner Bros. – BS 2686 (1973)

Little Feat – Feats Don't Fail Me Now
Warner Bros. – BS 2784 (1974)

The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute
Warner Bros. – BSK 3193 (1978)

And while Wilson might not be exactly thrilled with all of these above three selections, I have one in which he might be like totally stoked about, a little off the beaten path, not exactly a chart topper, but an artist's finest recording / production job, and fan favorite album if he'd like to take a shot at something rather unique and special (I swear I believe that the multitracks are there at Warner Records):

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band – Clear Spot
Reprise Records – MS-2115 (1972)

See this covers artistic attainment, longevity of interest, commercial potential, and avant-garde creativity. Beefheart in 4.0 and 5.1 would open up the interest in this class A album to a new audience, and well as the old folks who know it as a stone classic.

How is that for a Quadio bundle once we've gotten about 12 or 16 more reissues in hand.

Anything surround by Little Feat would be sublime.

Perhaps Don Landee , can tackle a few Little Feat jewels with quad mixes , that is should he have the inkling.

Quad Gandharva is in the vault.
Finnadar?! You guys craving some Eric Salzman?
Of course.

But my biggest interest in the Finnadar catalog would be the Columbia-Princeton release. Would really love to see some of those 4 channel compositions finally get a proper release. I've already managed to track down digitized files of half of that album, and have leads for the other half. There's room to expand on that release - put together something really nice to honor what Columbia-Princeton did for surround and electronic music. But of course that's what the guy with a profile picture of himself standing in front of the RCA Mark II would say.

• Love
Reactions: atl
Craving more Ilhan Mimaroglu!
Agreed!

Odd that Ilhan created the label, but never put his music out in quad on it.

There is certainly a wealth of electronic music created specifically for multi-channel presentation that I've yet to find a path for it to be consumed in the home. Certainly Milton would have been on board for that option though, now that we have home equipment capable of it. (and any intelligent listener agrees with him)

Back