Quadio EQ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but not nearly as convenient as twisting a knob!
For stereo listening and especially from the DAC that has my computer server music player connected to it, I have an old Sansui 7070 receiver powering my speakers. I do this so I can EQ each FLAC file (stereo only) being played back with real analog adjustments. And the 7070 is legendary for its tone controls. I can add a tad of smiley face or beef up bass or tone down things instantly and it’s sounds so nice - I love it.

For multichannel I have an Oppo 105D going into a Yamaha 7.1 AVR through analog inputs. It has the HDMI connected as well but I like my amps doing this thing in analog mainly. For the multichannel I don’t mess with tone controls but I’m always changing front to back levels - preferring rear surround speaker levels louder than they are normally mixed at.

Anyway my point is I use the tone controls on that Sansui and it’s wonderful and very transparent, yet makes a strong impression if I need that.

Last edited:
I tend to misplace remotes! I hate that modern equipment usually has no front panel controls! At least the old audio remotes were wired so pretty hard to lose!
I actually have two remotes for my AVR, in the only two places in the room where I can sit down. lol.
When Onkyo sent me a new AVR I kept my old remote "accidentally".

IMHO, the cut/boost crosses over the line from restoration to enhancement, if the Chicago and Doobie Brothers Quadios are re-released (maybe all on 1 or 2 Blu-ray discs), they could be recopied from the analog quad master tapes without using the cut/boost EQ.

Kirk Bayne
It has already been reported that the Doobies Quadios did NOT have this boost.

I don't have the hardware or software to check the frequency characteristics of what I play on my audio systems, however, post #479 in this thread is where I'm getting my info.

(I know it's a different mix, but my DVD-A of Captain and Me sounds more balanced to me)

edit:
(now post #6 in this thread)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back in the day everyone except for a very few "purists" used smiley face (Bass and Treble boost) equalisation when listening to music. It was often necessary to make up for both deficiencies in the medium and the equipment as well as to suit personal taste. It is sad that modern equipment often lacks such basic tone controls. With digital recording, room equalisation ect, it is thought that basic tone controls are unnecessary people should be listening with everything set flat. I think that the Chicago and Doobie Bros sets sound fantastic, with little or no added tone correction and so are more in line with the sound of modern recordings.

I have no problem with flat transfers either but they sound best with a bit of smile face equalisation added on playback. And all those harsh sounding brick walled CD's sound best with a treble cut!
So much incorrect here that I don’t even know where to start…

So much incorrect here that I don’t even know where to start…
What is the point of your post if you won't qualify your statement? I stand 1000% by my remarks!! I'll repeat the facts!!!

=The Rhino Chicago and Doobie sets sound fantastic!

-Simple bass and treble controls are invaluable. Twisting a knob is much more convenient than using a remote!

-Flat transfers (of vintage recordings) are fine as well but often benefit from a bit of smiley face equalisation on playback!

-More modern digital recordings and many/most brick walled recordings benefit from a treble cut!

Did I miss anything?

What is the point of your post if you won't qualify your statement? I stand 1000% by my remarks!! I'll repeat the facts!!!

-Simple bass and treble controls are invaluable. Twisting a knob is much more convenient than using a remote!

-Flat transfers (of vintage recordings) are fine as well but often benefit from a bit of smiley face equalisation on playback!

-More modern digital recordings and many/most brick walled recordings benefit from a treble cut!

Did I miss anything?
Invaluable to you perhaps. But for the most part, cheap simple imprecise consumer grade tone controls in the hands of amateurs mess up sound more than help it. I wish I had a dime for every time I heard a crappy sounding system and the root problem was somebody applying smiley-face eq.

Brick-walled recordings have nothing necessarily to do with eq - and broadly claiming a treble cut will benefit them is simply not correct.

Flat transfers are simply flat transfers. They might need a lot of work or they might need nothing. It all depends. But if they need work, it is not simply a matter of adding some smiley face eq.

Invaluable to you perhaps. But for the most part, cheap simple imprecise consumer grade tone controls in the hands of amateurs mess up sound more than help it. I wish I had a dime for every time I heard a crappy sounding system and the root problem was somebody applying smiley-face eq.
Smiley face bass and treble rarely messes up anything all that much, and the effect can easily be undone at the twist of a knob. Tone controls with adjustable turnover are even more useful, they can be set to boost the extreme frequency ranges while leaving the midrange unaffected. Graphic equalisers on the other hand cause more trouble than they are worth. I have a friend who adjusts both channels using widely different settings (to his taste at the moment) and it does really mess things up, but still as long as he is happy who am I to judge.

Modern systems using room correction is really just a way to attempt to patch dissimilar speakers together. Better to use good quality matched speakers and treat the room if it it really all that bad.

Brick-walled recordings have nothing necessarily to do with eq - and broadly claiming a treble cut will benefit them is simply not correct.
Brick walled recording never sound right, but often is accompanied by extreme equalisation used in a vain attempt to give more punch to the recording that has had all life squashed out of it.

Flat transfers are simply flat transfers. They might need a lot of work or they might need nothing. It all depends. But if they need work, it is not simply a matter of adding some smiley face eq.
My interest is in vintage recordings and most often they benefit from a bit of treble boost.

Last edited:

Did I miss anything?
Why is "twisting a knob" more convenient than using a remote? do you think we all sit right next to our AVR's?
Explain please.

Well, I grew up absolutely loving to "turn the knobs"! Through the late 70's and through the 80's. We all used to "dial" things in the way we thought it sounded fantastic...especially in our cars. I thought I had finally joined the big leagues when I installed a beautiful under dash Kenwood equalizer....that accompanied my Alpine deck with removable faceplate. I still have both!

So, I'm not so sure of the actual technical merits of the adjustments, but at the time I thought it most definitely made everything sound better.

I don't find a need to adjust much anymore. Not sure if it's do to the better recordings, or much better system, or matured tastes. I think sometimes it was needed to compensate for the old playback equipment getting older....but who knows.

Anywho....it was extremely fun to have the knobs, switches and slides to fool around with and squeeze everything you thought possible from the music and equipment.

@par4ken, I hear ya'!

Are we all so old and decrepit that we can't move from our chair?
I like my chair just fine, thank you. lol.
I'm coming up hard on 74, and I clean my property every day after hurricane Idalia, often with a chainsaw for hours. That includes either loading in the back of a truck or a wheelbarrow and unloading. I quit counting the downed, broken, or uprooted trees a long time ago.
So, if that's decrepit then I guess I'm the poster boy. I think I'm in pretty good shape for my age and disabilities.
When I listen to music I prefer not to be up and down twisting knobs. Besides what's the point when you can do it all with a remote?

I'm close to you in age and I still cut and when necessary split firewood, for hours at a time. But really, turning a knob is not hard and once done it doesn't often require a whole lot of resetting.

I hate fumbling around with a remote that more often than not is nowhere to be found! I hate flipping through menus and having to have the TV on just to see what I'm doing!

I'm close to you in age and I still cut and when necessary split firewood, for hours at a time. But really, turning a knob is not hard and once done it doesn't often require a whole lot of resetting.

I hate fumbling around with a remote that more often than not is nowhere to be found! I hate flipping through menus and having to have the TV on just to see what I'm doing!
"When necessary". OK. If you saw my place...well never mind all that. Not going to get in a pissing contest.

Maybe you should buy a new AVR. I don't need to have a TV or monitor on to parse the menu's on any I've owned in many years.
You explictly implied that those that don't follow your line of thinking are somehow lazy because they don't see a need to get up and turn knobs.
I am done with this, rant all you want.

My Sony TA-1150 amplifier (bought in 1972-12) has turnover frequency selectors for both the bass and treble tone controls, up until the late 1970s, I set the bass turnover at 250Hz [knob at 4] and the treble at 2.5kHz [knob at 10] + loudness on, I later decided I should leave the tone controls at flat (loudness still on).

My Pioneer VSX-D209 receiver disables the tone controls in certain modes.

I figure that some person or persons associated with the musical act signed off on the sound mix [mono/stereo/surround & the bass/midrange/treble balance] and I would listen to the mix flat (I no longer use the loudness function), if the sound quality is poor (muffled treble for example, that's the way the musical act wants it).

IMHO, analog magnetic tapes should only be EQ'd as part of the restoration process.

Kirk Bayne

Maybe you should buy a new AVR. I don't need to have a TV or monitor on to parse the menu's on any I've owned in many years.
You explictly implied that those that don't follow your line of thinking are somehow lazy because they don't see a need to get up and turn knobs.
I don't want a piece of crap AVR, and I'm saying that it is much easier to turn a simple knob than to mess with any remote! You are the one saying that you are too lazy to even do that! I totally disagree with the point that you were trying to make!

Back