Quadraphonic Live - 6th December 2014, Oxford UK

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm not sure if this has been posted here already, and I fear it may be too late for some, but I heard today that this event is close to being cancelled due to poor ticket sales so I thought I'd big it up here and see if it generated enough interest to keep the thing alive.

I'm only passing on info and don't know too much about the event, but a UK broadcaster and quad enthusiast, David Freeman, has set up Quadraphonic Live and has planned his first public event on December 6th 2014 in Oxford, UK.

The evening is billed as a presentation of various quad recordings, along with a history of these and of quad itself, with the finale being a full playback of DSOTM from David's own Quad 8 Track.

Now, after all this bigging up, I have to admit that I cannot go myself as it is a bit of a trek (although I am trying to sort something) but the least I can do is spread the word and try and help. I think it's a cracking idea and a superb way of possibly introducing new people to the delights of multi-channel music. David has a website, a Facebook page and is on Twitter (links below.

If you can get to Oxford on the 6th and fancy buying a ticket (and one for a friend!), snap them up now and see if we can stoke the fire under this project. I know for a fact that I'd certainly love to do something like this myself, but maybe focus less on Quad and more on multi-channel audio as a whole.

quad-poster.jpg

http://quadraphoniclive.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/Quadraphoniclive.co.uk

http://twitter.com/quadralive

Stolen from a well known blog, why not give due where it's due

Stolen? That would imply that I'm trying to take credit for something and as I clearly state, I'm passing on info in the hope it might sell the necessary tickets to keep the event going. Yes, I found the info out on the Dreaming Spires website and the poster image was taken from the Quadraphonic Live website. So I really don't see the problem, especially as I could have gotten the information from the Quadraphonic Live Facebook page.

So, what's your beef?

Failed Muso mentions David Freeman, the organiser. So what is the problem OD?

Is willothewisp Oxford Dickie? If so, then I am more than a little surprised. I'm a keen supporter of the DS site and merely wanted to share this info to help promote the event and either prevent its cancellation or reduce David's financial losses. I apologise if a credit back to the DS site was expected and not forthcoming but nothing was meant by it.

I am also surprised that this event wasn't already posted here (unless I missed it and if so, I apologise for that also) seeing that it is full of potential ticket buyers.

Oh well...

It's totally cool to post info from another site to help promote surround - and ethical as links back to original site are posted.

The thing to always remember is that the surround community needs to hold together in order for it to continue to grow.

It's totally cool to post info from another site to help promote surround - and ethical as links back to original site are posted.

The thing to always remember is that the surround community needs to hold together in order for it to continue to grow.

I couldn't agree more, which is why I posted the info in the first place and gave three links back to the event organisers website, Facebook page and Twitter account. I don't want credit, or kudos or any form of praise or adulation. I just wanted to get the word out there.

I'd love for this event to be a success and am gutted that I can't go myself, but it has made me think about how a similar event closer to home might work and I'd love to reach out to Mr Freeman to see if that were at all possible.

Personally, I'd like to see an event that not only extolled the virtues of quad, but took the audience on that journey through to today's technologies and gave advice on how to get started.

Is willothewisp Oxford Dickie? If so, then I am more than a little surprised. I'm a keen supporter of the DS site and merely wanted to share this info to help promote the event and either prevent its cancellation or reduce David's financial losses. I apologise if a credit back to the DS site was expected and not forthcoming but nothing was meant by it.

I am also surprised that this event wasn't already posted here (unless I missed it and if so, I apologise for that also) seeing that it is full of potential ticket buyers.

Oh well...
hang on, I only insinuated this, but I do not know. Was just a little surprised Willow came up with that strange reply, and linked him to the DS blog you mentioned. Thats all. Anyway, not worth any time. Your promotion of the event is what counts.

hang on, I only insinuated this, but I do not know. Was just a little surprised Willow came up with that strange reply, and linked him to the DS blog you mentioned. Thats all. Anyway, not worth any time. Your promotion of the event is what counts.

Ah, sorry, jumping to conclusions! Apologies (Blimey, seem to be doing a lot of that tonight! ;) )

Sad to report that the event has now been cancelled :(

This from the QL Facebook page... (y'know, in case I get pulled up for not giving credit where it's due... ;) )

"We regret that we have had to cancel the event planned for Dec 6th in Oxford due to lack of interest.
We thank all of you that have been interested or involved in some way or another and are hoping to bring a similar event to Oxford sometime next year.
Thanks,
QL"

I hope that they don't lose heart and try again soon.

I have just logged in for my weekly scan and see i'm being called OD. Just to put you straight i am not him, i wish i was then i would know how to decode my collection and can get rid of my Tate. This forum has not been the promised helpful forum thought it might have been and it is no wonder he has no time for it.

For me i find this forum is of no real use to anyone when looking for information on quadraphonic sound, his Dreaming Spires Archive being far more informative and friendlier than here, it is no surprise so many go there.

I will email him about calling me OD as i'm sure he will find it amusing

I have just logged in for my weekly scan and see i'm being called OD. Just to put you straight i am not him, i wish i was then i would know how to decode my collection and can get rid of my Tate. This forum has not been the promised helpful forum thought it might have been and it is no wonder he has no time for it.

For me i find this forum is of no real use to anyone when looking for information on quadraphonic sound, his Dreaming Spires Archive being far more informative and friendlier than here, it is no surprise so many go there.

For new decoders try,

http://www.involveaudio.com/products/surround-master-sq-edition

or,

http://www.involveaudio.com/products/surround-master

Richard's already aware of this thread and yes, he did chuckle.

As for whether this forum is helpful, I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I certainly find both places useful, but more so QQ as it covers all manner of multi-channel music, not just quad.

I am always perplexed by those who find it necessary to pit one place against another, as if it has any real bearing on anything. The simple fact is, as Old Quad Guy said, we really ought to be pulling together for a greater good, that of multi-channel music, be it in SQ, QS, CD4, DVD-A, SACD, Blu Ray or what ever format. I, and many others, find both places welcoming and useful and will continue to do so. I am sure there is some "history" with regards to why you, and a handful of others, feel this way. To be honest, I'm not all that bothered.

But to address the matter which you initially came here to raise, despite you finding this place unhelpful, I hope it is clear that no malice was intended by not quoting DS as one of a number of sources for the Quadraphonic Live info. I wasn't seeking credit, and have spoken to Richard about this and it is not an issue for him, and quite frankly, he's the only one I'm bothered about when it comes to causing any upset. I was merely trying to raise awareness, as was he, of this event and its potential, and now eventual, demise. Why you felt you had to turn this into anything else escapes me.

Ultimately, it came to no good as the event got shelved, but I hope the people behind it are able to learn from their experience, albeit an expensive one, and try again in the future. And I hope that we can all come together as a community as a whole and support it, and similar events.

.....For me i find this forum is of no real use to anyone when looking for information on quadraphonic sound, his Dreaming Spires Archive being far more informative and friendlier than here, it is no surprise so many go there.....

Funny, I was just thinking of closing this place and just redirecting the domain name directly to the Dreaming Spires Archive...... :rolleyes:

Wow - no real use? Eh.......jokes.....aren't.....funny....

Back