Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Another in the Queen Live Series...

This one pairs the Montreal concert originally titled "We Will Rock You" with the explosive Live Aid Show from 1985.

As usual the audio sounds excellent. You have two concert choices - DTS96/24 or PCM 48/16. It was remixed from the original multitracks. There is also a commentary track from Brian May and Roger Taylor.

The mix is really a 4.1 mix for Montreal. There is no center channel but it really isn't missed. As for discreteness... there is ambience in the back along with crowd. The band is mostly up front except for effect things like Freddie singing "Now I'm Here...Now I'm There" the delays are in the rear. The same goes for effects on "Get Down Make Love" and the breakdown of "Another One Bites The Dust". Regardless, I think the mix sounds pretty spiffy.

Montreal is presented in 16x9 widescreen and, according to the back cover, the 35mm negative was scanned and cleaned and restored. Looks good on my 55" Mitsubishi.

The audio for Live Aid is also in DTS or PCM but it is fake surround, though it still sounds nice and full. The video is 4x3.

There are two versions of this set. Montreal and Live Aid for approx. $16.99 or just the Montreal show for $13.99.

I don't know if I like this one as much as the Wembley show but it is still great to hear Freddie live!!

Bump for a great Queen performance, nice clean video, great sound quality and a good mix (for live)...Excellent song selection. Can't believe I never got to see/hear this band live.

Back