R.I.P. Jeff Beck

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when this album came out. I had a Ford Bronco with full blown stereo/sub, etc. I went out on a picnic with this chick I knew (a friend with benefits) my two daughters where in the back seat rough housing, and I said to Susan, was her name, check out this new song by Jeff Beck, the song started to play Where Were You, my kids where still rough housing and she yelled at them to cool out, they all stopped and she fell in love with that song.
A couple months later at Drum World on Geneva St in SF, they had a guest drummer evening, like they did frequently called drum clinics and Terry Bozzio was the drummer, wow is all I can remember, any way someone asked him would he ever play with Beck again and he said, in a heart beat, I hope he asks me again, but never happened.
I just purchased the SONY Japan Blu~Spec version of GUITAR SHOP from AmazonUS. Seems it's now OOP @ CDJapan!

I've seen lots of musicians paying tribute to Jeff this week. I thought this post from Jon Carin was really beautiful. (For those of you not familiar, Carin is a multi-instrumentalist who has worked with Pink Floyd, The Who, Kate Bush, Bryan Ferry and others).

When Rick Wright died, a memorial party was thrown in his honor. I was asked to play one of Rick’s favorite pieces, "Where Were You" by Jeff Beck, with Jeff, just the two of us. Do you know that song? It always sounded to me like Jeff improvised it alone and then the synth chords were put on afterwards, although I may be wrong about that. I listened to the piece to refresh my memory, and thought it would be a nice idea to reframe Jeff’s amazing melodies with a different sonic palette than the record. When Michael Kamen had passed away 5 years earlier in 2003, I was preoccupied by my own father dying two months earlier, and I never got to honor Michael properly, and as his wife, Sandra, would be there at the party, I thought it would be nice to use colors he gravitated towards, bass clarinets, french horns, oboes, and strings, instead of the sort of 80’s palette synths on the record.

The afternoon of the show, Jeff and Alan Rogan arrived with a battered off white Strat, a Princeton amp and a Lexicon reverb unit. We played it once, chatted awhile, and he went off to lunch. His Strat was just sitting there. I decided to pick it up to see if it had anything unusual about its design, since he had just gotten the most otherworldly sounds out of it. It was just a regular Strat. No mods, impossibly high action, but otherwise, just a Strat. All in the hands. I put the guitar down and took a walk.

Later that evening, we played the piece for the audience of friends and family. I have to say that I have only had this experience with one other person, Kate Bush, but when we were playing the song, I was so distracted, or maybe transported is a better word, by the person I was playing with that I nearly stopped playing. He was that good. He had the ability to surprise you and make you feel things with his sound and touch that you didn’t know you could feel.

I’ll forever be grateful to have had that moment in time with him to cherish.

Especially now.

I did a two-hour tribute to Jeff tonight on my radio show. It's available on the station's archive for two weeks here: Rock: Crashing The Ether
(Forgive the ranting of the previous DJ at the beginning! :cool: )

I was asked to play one of Rick’s favorite pieces, "Where Were You" by Jeff Beck
This is the song I find the most gut-wrenching to listen to this week. Such a beautiful, haunting song and then I think about how we won’t get songs like that from him any more. It’s certainly one of the tops moments in his body of guitar work.

R.91b197cc4ed3820d80fc4f38ce84c5e8

FOREVER ..... AND EVER

Stevie Wonder Remembers Jeff Beck in this article from RollingStone.com-

STEVIE WONDER REMEMBERED his friend and one-time collaborator Jeff Beck in an interview that followed the death of the guitar virtuoso.

“He was a great soul who did great music,” Wonder told the Detroit Free Press. “I’m glad that I was able to meet him and have him in my life, giving some of his gift to my music.”

Beck and Wonder first worked together in 1972 while the latter was working on what would become his classic LP Talking Book. The duo were introduced by producers Robert Margouleff and Malcolm Cecil, with Wonder enlisting Beck to play the solo on the album’s “Lookin’ for Another Pure Love.”

“I really didn’t know too much about him,” Wonder said of Beck. “But then I heard him play in New York. We were working on ‘Lookin’ for Another Pure Love’ and I said to him, ‘Why don’t you play on this?’ He thought that would be great. He laid one part down, then another part and another part. It was just amazing.”

While in the studio, Wonder and Beck played around with another song that Wonder had written at the time: “Superstition.” Wonder originally agreed to give Beck the track for the guitarist’s new group Beck, Bogert & Appice. While that trio recorded their “Superstition” first, Motown — recognizing the track’s hit single potential — ultimately released Wonder’s version before Beck, Bogert & Appice could issue their self-titled 1973 debut album.

“I told Motown, ‘Listen, I did this for Jeff Beck. He likes the song,'” Wonder told the Detroit Free Press. “I thought we should make ‘Sunshine of My Life’ the first single. They said, ‘No, no, no, no. The first single should be ‘Superstition.” So I went back to Jeff and had that discussion.”

Still, the trio’s take on “Superstition” served as one of Beck’s greatest recordings. Beck would later record two more Wonder tracks, “Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers” and “Thelonius,” for his 1975 LP Blow by Blow, and reunite with Wonder at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 25th anniversary show in 2009 to perform “Superstition.”

Wonder told the Free Press that, following news of Beck’s death, he re-listened “Lookin’ for Another Pure Love.” “When I heard it today, it was emotional for me because I could remember the moment,” Wonder said. “There’s just something about music. I know for you, as a fan, songs take you back to a space in time — you’re right there, right then,” Wonder said. “As long as you talk about people, you keep them alive. You keep their spirits alive.”

“He was a great soul who did great music,” Wonder told the Detroit Free Press. “I’m glad that I was able to meet him and have him in my life, giving some of his gift to my music.”
I thought it would be nice to pair that with what Jeff said from the feature I linked to the other day. It creates a nice picture of what the two thought of each other:

Stevie Wonder’s music became a big inspiration for you around this time.

“Absolutely. Hearing Music of My Mind just really moved my spirit. I was at someone’s house; I picked it up and played it. I couldn’t hear what they were saying for an hour. I was just completely mesmerized by the sounds coming off that record.

“And I thought, There he goes – there’s a genius reinventing himself. And the thought that I’d be standing next to him in the studio one day was way beyond my dreams. But right out of the blue, after having raved about that record, it must have reached somebody at Epic. And they said, ‘Stevie would be interested in having you go over.’

“And I sort of went…gulp. It was the most memorable time. Frustrating at first, because you know he can’t see you – there’s this immediate barrier right there. But within a couple of days that was gone. It was really uplifting just to be around and watch him put a song together so quickly and so perfectly that nothing could be improved.

“He’d do a rough tryout of something that was better than anything I could ever come up with. He was someone with songwriting skills unknown to me before. I thought, I just better stick around here for a couple of hours.

“And he put me on one of his songs on the Talking Book album [Lookin’ for Another Pure Love]. I couldn’t care less if the solo stank. Just the way he said ‘Do it, Jeff!’ on the record, that meant a million quid to me.”

But you never had the opportunity to record with him again?

“There was another one he wanted me to go on, but I was too out of it to play. A bunch of us dropped by [New York City recording studio] the Hit Factory one night when Stevie was there.

“But we’d really been out on the, uh, cold drinks, so I declined his offer to play. I couldn’t bear to disgrace myself in that state. I was pretty bad. We really could put it away. I said I never did take drugs, but we did lube up occasionally.”

I was never much of a fan in my youth, dismissing him rather unfairly on the basis of hi ho silver lining. Then one evening, around a dozen years ago, I happened upon the ronnie scott's concert. I was absolutley gobsmacked and listened to pretty much everything I could get my hands on of his - I cant think of anything that disappointed and Ive lost track of how many times Ive watched that concert since.

And while Ive heard much talk of his tone, touch, phrasing and taste I think the man should also be remembered for his valuable contributions to the art of the rock star haircut..........

Like many of you, I found it difficult to process the news of Jeff Beck’s passing. It was so sudden and unexpected. It is heartwarming to see the tributes continue to pour in on social media. That definitely helps the healing process. To that end, I am sharing a link to an episode of my Noise From the Cranium show that featured Jeff. In the show I take a look at what he and Jimmy Page were up to between 1966 and 1969. Typical of Jeff, it has its highs and lows. I found it to be an interesting story. Check it out if you are interested. RIP JB.

Here is Rick in admiration of Jeff

I watched this before Jeff died and of course agreed.
Then someone posted this CD on QQ and I bought it, Great, Great guitar players, super rhythm section, I mean the real thing man, BUT completely disappointing, to put it very simple, Jeff Beck is uncopiable and this disc proves it.
81VLO0E8kLL._SX522_.jpg

I got his as a suggested video on FB and I bit on it only to be totally blown away...
We only have so many hours in the day and I did not follow Jeff Beck too much in his later years, but if I had seen this in 2006 maybe I'd have spent some time listening to him, but the most important part is that this is all documented and that is how they all keep living forever...
I saw the title: "Nadia" and started listening and it hit me.. this is a KICK ass and VERY SUBLIME version of a Nitin Sawhney song which he played when I saw him open for Sting on June 2000 in Santiago de Compostela...the melody Jeff plays is the VERY difficult vocal melody and he does it justice and then some; here is the video:

and here is the ORIGINAL song..you be the judge...

I had NO idea that Jeff Beck would play any Nitin stuff cause his material is quite difficult, in modes and quite chromatic... and , yes, Jeff was a monster! I also share his philosophy of playing straight and THEN party after you are done! RIP Jeff...

JEFF & JAN - Live At The Hollywood Bowl; 2016 in celebration of Jeff Beck's 50 year musical career
What else? but a song from "There & Back" :love:

One of the many things I enjoy about watching Jeff play is that by this point (and many years prior) he had more or less ditched playing with a pick. So you could be mesmerized just watching how his right hand worked.

Back