Recording from the Involve V2 via a Behringer UMC404HD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m really hoping Chucky and crew will come through with a nice VLC and all this might be moot for you Mike; but this damned virus is the main concern now for everyone.
It is Pups. None of us have ever seen anything like this before and we just hope and pray that our respective world leaders realise what they need to do …..
He says with a deep sigh.
Staying out of politics …..just.

Our frustrations are probably meeting over 'Salisbury Plain', where the wildlife is learning a whole new vocabulary!! :)
Undoubtedly there are small furry animal's mothers putting their paws over their innocent off-springs ears!

Got me thinking, Salisbury Plain, I wonder :unsure: .........… when they'll finally put the roof on Stonehenge

Perhaps we need an uncensored thread where we can all just vent our feelings, concerns and frustrations with world events.
I'll start...
Why ---- --- ---- -------- --- ----- --- together.

That is over Salisbury plain right now!! :)

That looks correct to me, as far as the UMC404 is concerned you are recording 4 mono tracks! As that is how you would see it in a recording studio, so 4 separate inputs. I think you have to add tracks in Audacity and assign them, so 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc. You also need to assign them when Exporting to FLAC etc. I would also start by recording at a low sample rate as latency/speed issues might show up and that might just confuse matters, so that is the Project Rate in the bottom left corner.
this would be my experience as well. What you have (4 mono tracks) should work, assuming you are going to export to one music file. The next step is play the file in VLC through an HDMI cable to a modern AVR.

this would be my experience as well. What you have (4 mono tracks) should work, assuming you are going to export to one music file. The next step is play the file in VLC through an HDMI cable to a modern AVR.
This is very interesting.
Would you like to expand more, to a novice like me, as to the exact procedure required.
I had each track in mono but they were all playing the same as, clearly I didn't follow assigning the tracks and exporting them to one music file.
I need to start from scratch and get my head around what and how to potentially get this right.
Maybe all is not lost after all.
Cheers
Mike

I have VLC and my PC is connected via a HDMI cable to the receiver.

I was on a work conference call and my mind wandered (exciting call) and I had a brain wave (1st and probably the last this century!), so after some hardware manipulation and software noodling (**** s/w!) I have 5.1 coming out of my NUC into my Amp and displaying the NUC video on the TV - using 2 external box of tricks. I have a few more experiments to do to see if I can remove one of them. Then I will start a thread for all the other unfortunate soles who happen across the incompatibility of HDMI's :poop::poop::poop: HDCP 1.4 with 2.x :mad:!

I then need to figure out how to fight/use foobar2000 properly!

Audacity was never intended to be a fully-featured multichannel digital audio workstation. It's more an editor with some extended DAW-like features. I would recommend dumping it in favor of a free-to-use DAW like Ardour (truly free) or Reaper (unlimited trial period). There are others (including Audacity) listed here.

I was on a work conference call and my mind wandered (exciting call) and I had a brain wave (1st and probably the last this century!), so after some hardware manipulation and software noodling (**** s/w!) I have 5.1 coming out of my NUC into my Amp and displaying the NUC video on the TV - using 2 external box of tricks. I have a few more experiments to do to see if I can remove one of them. Then I will start a thread for all the other unfortunate soles who happen across the incompatibility of HDMI's :poop::poop::poop: HDCP 1.4 with 2.x :mad:!

I then need to figure out how to fight/use foobar2000 properly!
I will revel in your long labored success by gladly having an extra sausage patty with my breakfast :D
Hmm starting to sound like Wimpy I am!

1585756206681.png

You might want to try a Linux install. Or OSX itself if your hardware can be used to go Hackintosh. Not exactly a 5 minute solution but it might be a way to keep the existing computer hardware and make it work.

Or...
Try Reaper DAW. You can "keep evaluating" as long as you need if purchasing isn't in the cards right now, FYI. Reaper has a Windows version and it is the most highly functional DAW for Windows that exists (I'm told and the forum chatter seems to confirm). Reaper has extended features for connecting to various audio interfaces to work around stubborn devices and/or stubborn OS's that don't follow standards.

@beerking - I have the same Behringer unit as you and I could never get Audacity to record more than 2 channels on my Windows laptop. Check out this thread and see if the free version of Audition 3 is still available - the interface is a bit crude, but I can verify that it will record 4-ch from the Behringer.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/audition-3-now-for-free-legally.17810/
As it happens, Pups kindly sent me a copy of Audition 3.
I tried it a couple of times but didn't have any success with it.
I still feel windows lack of support for recording anything more that mono or stereo is the stumbling block, from an audio interface.
I got the four tracks ok but they are in mono.
But,
I suspect, it's more me not having much of a clue what I'm doing.
The question is then, have you successfully recorded up-mixed surround music from any source but firstly the Involve V2? Using the Behringer gizmo.

You might want to try a Linux install. Or OSX itself if your hardware can be used to go Hackintosh. Not exactly a 5 minute solution but it might be a way to keep the existing computer hardware and make it work.

Or...
Try Reaper DAW. You can "keep evaluating" as long as you need if purchasing isn't in the cards right now, FYI. Reaper has a Windows version and it is the most highly functional DAW for Windows that exists (I'm told and the forum chatter seems to confirm). Reaper has extended features for connecting to various audio interfaces to work around stubborn devices and/or stubborn OS's that don't follow standards.
I have a copy of Linux Mint winging it's way to me... (y)
I looked at Hackintosh but thought it was a step to far at the moment.
I have the evaluation copy of Reaper too, still no success in bypassing windows stubborn, sound software!!
Ta for the advice

I hope this thread will help others who were/are considering using this Audio Interface.

The question is then, have you successfully recorded up-mixed surround music from any source but firstly the Involve V2? Using the Behringer gizmo.

Yes, I've successfully recorded 4 channels out of my Involve V1, Tate II, CD-4 demod, and Q8 deck using the Behringer unit and AA3.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Open AA3 and create 4 mono tracks (insert -> audio track or Alt-A).
step_1.jpg

My copy of AA3 seems to open with 6 tracks by default - to delete tracks, simply right click and you'll get a pop-up menu with "delete" as one of the options.

2. Save your session (File -> Save Session As). Once you start recording, AA3 will output the 4 .wavs in a folder in the location you've selected.
save.jpg

3. Go into "Audio Hardware Setup" (click the input box on any of the tracks, shown in the first picture), then click "Multitrack View" and select "UMC ASIO Driver". You should see 4 mono outputs, like in the picture below.
step_2.jpg

4. Assign the proper inputs to each track and arm them to record (click the "R" box in the top left corner of each track)
step_3.jpg

armed tracks.jpg

Once this is all set, you can simply hit space and begin recording.

Yes, I've successfully recorded 4 channels out of my Involve V1, Tate II, CD-4 demod, and Q8 deck using the Behringer unit and AA3.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Open AA3 and create 4 mono tracks (insert -> audio track or Alt-A)
View attachment 48416

2. Save your session (File -> Save Session As). Once you start recording, AA3 will output the 4 .wavs in a folder in the location you've selected.
View attachment 48417

3. Go into "Audio Hardware Setup" (click the input box on any of the tracks, shown in the first picture), then click "Multitrack View" and select "UMC ASIO Driver". You should see 4 mono outputs, like in the picture below.
View attachment 48415

4. Assign the proper inputs to each track and arm them to record (click the "R" box in the top left corner of each track)
View attachment 48414
View attachment 48418

Once this is all set, you can simply hit space and begin recording.
Ooh I was almost there....got four tracks recorded just didn't assign them.
Fantastic, thanks a lot for that heads up.
Will give it a bash tomorrow …..and hopefully we have lift off. :rocks

If I recall this correctly, the reason that audacity does not support multichannels with Windows 10 was actually a licensing issue for a plug-in or extension that was in the public domain in Windows 7. At least this was true for the Delta 1010LT interface that no longer supported multiple channels simultaneously once I upgraded to Windows 10.

Back