rhino quadio not playing correctly with denon avr-x1000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what player you are using, but I had strange issues with a couple of Blu-rays when trying to playback DTS HD MA on my Oppo 95. Yet they play perfectly fine on the Sony UBP-x800M2. However, I don't have any issues with the Rhino Quadios.

I have an Oppo 105 and the same Sony... I put the Sony back in the box when I "downgraded" the TV in my living room to an old Sony 1080p display (moved the 4k into my bedroom, the 1080p is physically bigger) couldn't get it to show picture.

Now when playing Quadios I often have to restart the first track because it'll cut off a second or two. I am using HDMI out to a Denon AVR (not sure what model, it's maybe 3 years old)

I've posted this before, but a not crazy (at least not in a world where 6 figure speakers are a thing) option is Anthem. They don't do any unexpected/forced upmixing (a complaint I have with Denon/Marantz) and support room configurations. Their room correction in the shootout at the last 2 Mwaves was rated very highly. Musically they sound great to me.

I'd have to ask, but I would think on Anthem if you made a room configuration consisting of the front 3 and back 2 (channels 6/7) it would steer quad just like folks on here want it to work. You could add the sub in the mix to if needed. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) my 4/5 channels have to be behind the seating some, so I don't have an issue with them handling 4 channel audio.

My former Marantz 7702 MK2 preamp never handled Quad correctly. I had to add in a phantom center and sub channel to make it work. One of the reasons it's a former piece of gear.
Thanks - I am actually looking into anthem equipment and this further validates that for me.

It's been a while since I had my 4310 system, but if I recall correctly, in addition to surrounds and surround backs (Denon term), I also had front wides, which I would have had to connect to the Amp Assign terminals. That means that I probably had my surround backs connected to the Surround B terminals. However, I don't know if that's the only configuration to get surround signals to go to the surround back speakers. Looking at pages 34-35 and 71-75 of the manual, it looks like there might be more than one way, but it might also involve some trial and error.

If going down that road seems too overwhelming, you might consider whether you need to connect your surround speakers (sides) at all. You indicated in another response that you don't really care about home theater, so a simple solution would be to simply connect your surround backs to the Surround terminals.

I eventually replaced my 4310 with a 4520, and after moving, I acquired a 4200 and split my speakers between the 4520 and 4200. I replaced those AVRs with a 6700 and a 3800 and added atmos speakers to both. I think I'm done upgrading for a while because I'm extremely satisfied with both systems.
I agree! If other attempts fail, those side channels will be disconnected. Thanks!

Back