rhino quadio not playing correctly with denon avr-x1000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I am frozen in time with a Sony STR-DE945 and Oppo BD-80. I can come out of the Oppo to the Sony’s discrete 5.1 inputs, without need for HDMI and all that entails. (The Sony also has a good phono section, which many modern AVRs lack.) I guess I’m a dinosaur, but it works well.

The quadio is dts-hd-ma, the denon receiver plays dts-hd-ma, not sure why there would be a problem unless there’s something in the settings? Maybe it’s set to default to pcm instead of bitstream? I have a denon avr and the Paranoid quadio plays as soon as I put it in the player
Not sure what player you are using, but I had strange issues with a couple of Blu-rays when trying to playback DTS HD MA on my Oppo 95. Yet they play perfectly fine on the Sony UBP-x800M2. However, I don't have any issues with the Rhino Quadios.

Not sure what player you are using, but I had strange issues with a couple of Blu-rays when trying to playback DTS HD MA on my Oppo 95. Yet they play perfectly fine on the Sony UBP-x800M2. However, I don't have any issues with the Rhino Quadios.
I have a Denon avr-x2600

It would seem that many equipement designers took into consideration 2.0 and 5.1 as the only acceptable or required speaker channel assignments. Pure laziness/shortsightedness! This thread is making me think about other less common channel configurations and I wonder just how compatible they are.

Remember 6.1 was a thing for awhile? I think that I have only a handful of such disc's, I think that they were all DTS. I assume that the DTS decoder knows to blend the Cb channel into the surround channels for 5.1 or into the back for 7,1? What happens if you feed the AVR a flac or wav copy?

Other possibilities include 2.1 (added Lfe) 3.0 (added centre), 3.1 (added Centre and Lfe), 4.0 (Quad, 2 variations, back surround, side surround), 4.1 (same variations plus lfe), 5.0, 5.1 (same 2 variations), 6.0 (add Cb), 6.1 (add Cb, Lfe), 7.0, 7.1, 8.0 (add Cb) 8.1 (add Cb, Lfe).

The Matrix Mixer in Foobar shows the following possible channel assignments arranged in this order.
FL - Front Left
FR - Front Right
FC - Front Centre
LFE - Low Frequency Effects
BL - Back Left
BR - Back Right
FCL - Front Centre Left
FCR - Front Centre Right
BC - Back Centre
SL - Side Left
SR - Side Right
TC - Top Centre
TFL - Top Front Left
TFC - Top Front Centre
TFR - Top Front Right
TBL - Top Back Left
TBC - Top Back Centre
TBR - Top Back Right

It would be an interesting experiment to make test recordings including these channel assignments to see how and if they are rendered on different equipment.

Last edited:
This is why I am frozen in time with a Sony STR-DE945 and Oppo BD-80. I can come out of the Oppo to the Sony’s discrete 5.1 inputs, without need for HDMI and all that entails. (The Sony also has a good phono section, which many modern AVRs lack.) I guess I’m a dinosaur, but it works well.
i actually tried the same thing except i used my sharp bluray player into my akai quad amp. it did not work. i am thinking it was the sharp bluray. maybe i should buy a oppo, do they still make them?

i actually tried the same thing except i used my sharp bluray player into my akai quad amp. it did not work. i am thinking it was the sharp bluray. maybe i should buy a oppo, do they still make them?
You can buy them 2nd hand, be prepared to remortgage your house though

i actually tried the same thing except i used my sharp bluray player into my akai quad amp. it did not work. i am thinking it was the sharp bluray. maybe i should buy a Oppo, do they still make them?

You can find used Oppo players for a reasonable sum as long as it's not the 4K Blu Ray players which go for top dollar.

I use a BDP-93 (around $200 +/- average) on the quad system and a BDP-103 (around $300 +/- average) on the 5.1/Atmos system. I did see an Oppo BDP-103 come up on Facebook Marketplace for $250 but it was some distance from me (and mine is working fine).

I was referring to the optical player, not the AVR. I have experienced different results using different optical players, an Oppo versus a Sony as already noted above. What is your Blu-ray player? Have you tried an alternate player in your rig to see if it will play the Rhino discs?
I am not the one having problems playing the discs, i’m just trying to help the OP

Reactions: GOS
Back