Ripping audio from BD+ protected BluRay discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Anyone know how to do it?

Let me stress; I'm only looking to do this to extract multi-channel flacs from BluRay discs that I already own so that I can stream them.

Anyone know how to do it?

Let me stress; I'm only looking to do this to extract multi-channel flacs from BluRay discs that I already own so that I can stream them.

I believe downloading and using DVD Audio Extractor in combination with AnyDVD will get you what you need. Both available on the web.

I believe downloading and using DVD Audio Extractor in combination with AnyDVD will get you what you need. Both available on the web.

To be a bit more specific, you first need to remove the encryption from the Blu Ray disc - there are several programs out there that can do this but, AnyDVD HD is probably best - it runs in the background and does not require any additional steps in the extraction process - it is subscription based and costs approx $75 for a 2 years with of updates. Once your BD disc is decrypted you can use either Audiomuxer or DVD Audio Extractor to extract the DTS HD or Dolby True HD stream and convert to mulitchannel flac. Audiomuxer is free and has more features, however, while DVD Audio Extractor costs approx $20, it does the job of extracting and converting to flac in a simpler and more seamless fashion. One other note, once the files have been converted to multichannel flac, I use Foobar 2000 to tag the files with the proper metadata (artist, title, etc) it connects to an online database where you can pull the appropriate ID tag. You can also edit the metadata ( I like to assign specific genre info) and embed artwork (I used my Oppo 103 as my media receiver - it's track/artwork display is more than adequate). Again there are many other programs that can do this but I find Foobar to be the best solution - and it's free.

Thanks, all!

I'd read that AnyDVD was a possible solution but didn't know how it worked - i.e. that it runs as a background service and you use another product to rip. I already have a registered copy of DVDAE which I've been using to rip my DVD A/Vs.

I would much rather go with what someone on here has already tried and got working, so thanks again! :)

To be a bit more specific, you first need to remove the encryption from the Blu Ray disc - there are several programs out there that can do this but, AnyDVD HD is probably best - it runs in the background and does not require any additional steps in the extraction process - it is subscription based and costs approx $75 for a 2 years with of updates. Once your BD disc is decrypted you can use either Audiomuxer or DVD Audio Extractor to extract the DTS HD or Dolby True HD stream and convert to mulitchannel flac. Audiomuxer is free and has more features, however, while DVD Audio Extractor costs approx $20, it does the job of extracting and converting to flac in a simpler and more seamless fashion. One other note, once the files have been converted to multichannel flac, I use Foobar 2000 to tag the files with the proper metadata (artist, title, etc) it connects to an online database where you can pull the appropriate ID tag. You can also edit the metadata ( I like to assign specific genre info) and embed artwork (I used my Oppo 103 as my media receiver - it's track/artwork display is more than adequate). Again there are many other programs that can do this but I find Foobar to be the best solution - and it's free.

I've been using my Cambridge Audio Azur 752 in much the same way except I have been tagging with MP3TAG which also supports flac files.

To date I've been dumping my rips on to a USB drive plugged into the 752 but my longer term plan is to put them all on a NAS with media server controlled from my Smartphone. I just need to decide on the right NAS/Media Server/Smartphone App combination, which is proving to be a lot more involved than expected!
USB works just fine in the meantime.

I haven't had any need to revisit blu-ray ripping in the last 3 years so this may be outdated. I use OSX only so the following may not be available for Windows.

I normally try to avoid purchasing DRM (I prefer to purchase music), but sometimes it's held hostage and there's no choice.

As I understand it, DRM is really a licensing scheme to get consumers to pay for a product multiple times. That 2nd installment comes in the form of purchasing a standalone hardware player with the DRM decoding built-in or purchasing an app with the current decoding written in. You buy the content and then buy the decoder ring for it.

Blu-ray's creator, Sony, has so far failed to deliver a convenient blu-ray ripping app.

The 2 apps that I've seen are 'AnyDVD' and 'MakeMKV'. MakeMKV was available as a free beta for a while but is now $50.
AnyDVD did not work on any of the discs I tried. The app appeared to be in alpha stage at best.
MakeMKV has so far decoded the DRM on every disc I have tried.

The MKV file container supports up to the highest quality for both audio and video content and can be played with VLC and XBMC media players.

Separate audio and video extraction from the MKV file was at a DIY level last time I checked. For example, creating separate FLAC files per chapter was not possible without pauses between tracks unless you extracted the entire program and split it up yourself with a DAW.

To date I've been dumping my rips on to a USB drive plugged into the 752 but my longer term plan is to put them all on a NAS with media server controlled from my Smartphone. I just need to decide on the right NAS/Media Server/Smartphone App combination, which is proving to be a lot more involved than expected!
USB works just fine in the meantime.

Whatever works! There are many variations on this solution. I store all of my media files on a 3TB WD elements external harddrive (with a second 3TB drive for redundancy/backup). I use TwonkyVision as my server thru a standard home wireless network - it is extremely stable and reliable.

Twonky is recommended by CA so is high on my list. What do you run it on?

I'm using Windows Vista, but the Twonky server runs via an internet connection and runs in the background. You can set it to sort your database in different variables ie, artist/alpha, song/alpha, genre, genre/artist etc. You can also set it to auto scan your database so as you add new titles, they update immediately - no need to rescan everytime you add a title. I've used it for almost 5 years without any issues whatsoever.

I think the DVD Fab product will now do this.

The thing I always have issues with is finding the right file in the folder with the real 5.1 audio track. Usually there are menu audio, bonus material, alternate audio streams, etc, in that folder. Finding the one your looking for using AudioMuxer is time consuming. Once you find it though, you're set.

I think the DVD Fab product will now do this.

The thing I always have issues with is finding the right file in the folder with the real 5.1 audio track. Usually there are menu audio, bonus material, alternate audio streams, etc, in that folder. Finding the one your looking for using AudioMuxer is time consuming. Once you find it though, you're set.

I didn't know about that product, Jon, so thanks! I see it had a free trial too which is always good.

Back