Ripping Disc Comments From Chicago Box Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Whenever there is a format choice, I choose BRD first, DVDA/DTS second, and SACD last. I just never liked the SACD concept. I don't like that you cant rip them to a NAS, and IMHO the sound quality is not significantly improved over standard Redbook given both are mastered properly. Its only advantage over Redbook for me is the MC aspect. It REALLY bugs me that I cant rip my Elton John 5.1 SACD's to my NAS.

Whenever there is a format choice, I choose BRD first, DVDA/DTS second, and SACD last. I just never liked the SACD concept. I don't like that you cant rip them to a NAS, and IMHO the sound quality is not significantly improved over standard Redbook given both are mastered properly. Its only advantage over Redbook for me is the MC aspect. It REALLY bugs me that I cant rip my Elton John 5.1 SACD's to my NAS.

If you have a modified PlayStation 3 console, you can copy the DSD audio from SACDs to your NAS (see guide below).
DSD Music Downloads are also available

As to the sound quality from SACD discs and DSD Downloads, it depends on the source of the music and how it was recorded.
On my music system, albums from analog sources and DSD recordings often sound quite a bit better than redbook CDs. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD ripper primer v4.0.1.pdf
http://www.nativedsd.com/database

The references to ripping and such are being removed (again). Please keep in mind who might be looking at this thread to gauge interest thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The references to ripping and such are being removed (again). Please keep in mind who might be looking at this thread to gauge interest thank you.

When did it become an issue to talk about ripping disks that you own? Or was this directed at someone else whose post is no longer here?

I am suggesting it should not appear for brand-new releases that aren't even out yet. It can be read wrong by people outside the forum.

I am suggesting it should not appear for brand-new releases that aren't even out yet. It can be read wrong by people outside the forum.

Ok well, just so we are clear, I was complaining about not being able to copy my 5.1 Elton John SACD's that I have owned for years to my NAS.

I know it's a bit silly, but, by law, you can't even record the contents of a disc to another format...

This could get this Forum (or somebody in this Forum) into hot water and , nowadays, Record...ehem.. "Companies" are out for blood, and at any chance they'll go for the jugular!!!!(being the greedy bastards they are..I mean...really? after 30+ years, a CD is STILL MORE than $10 USD /EUR, etc? They will never learn...and then they wonder why everybody d/l's the stuff from the net...)

If I wanted to "rip" SACDs , it'd be the "old fashioned method"...do it like LPs.....

I know it's a bit silly, but, by law, you can't even record the contents of a disc to another format...

If I wanted to "rip" SACDs , it'd be the "old fashioned method"...do it like LPs.....

I don't believe the 1st line is actually true. And if it were, the 2nd line would also be an offense.

My understanding is, that once you purchase a copyrighted disc, you can make as many copies of it on any format you wish. You just cant give them away or sell them. Dubbing a copy of an LP onto cassette for use in your car is certainly a format change, but it is definitely not illegal.

I don't believe the 1st line is actually true. And if it were, the 2nd line would also be an offense.

My understanding is, that once you purchase a copyrighted disc, you can make as many copies of it on any format you wish. You just cant give them away or sell them. Dubbing a copy of an LP onto cassette for use in your car is certainly a format change, but it is definitely not illegal.

Well, it varies depending on the country....

Depends upon the country you are in. Lots of countries are represented on this board/forum.

In the U.S., you can make an argument that cross-format copying is legal or isn't legal. The heads of the media companies have said they believe it is illegal. The DMCA would seem to agree with them in the event that the original format is encrypted.

The Library of Congress has appeared to take the opposite stance. The original Sony betamax lawsuit, which permitted copying of over-the-air content, really doesn't set a strong precedent.

But, after all these years, I'm not sure that the subject of the legality of cross-format audio copying has truly been settled in the U.S. Keep in mind that many of the video media server companies have been shutdown in the U.S. since you had to copy a DVD or Blu-Ray onto the media server.

http://www.cnet.com/news/courts-have-likely-killed-dvd-copying-media-servers/

In the U.K., I believe in 2014 a change to the copyright law was made to permit limited cross-format copying for licenses held by an individual. Edit: That was then overturned.

If any of this causes you concern, you should write your Congress-critter and make your opinions known. You can be sure the Hollywood industries have done that.

Andy

In the UK it became legal then following a legal challenge by various 'interested' parties it became illegal again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...egal-again-after-high-court-overturns-new-law

Back