Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have rips of the 7.1 files and someday, I hope to futz with them and maaaaybe work up a MC mix that has some balls.
But, short of that, hi-res stereo suits me just fine. I need that rhythm section punch on this one.
For the most part, I'm not even sure that much could be done with it after the fact. I just listened to some of it and it's so front focused with what seems like muddiness in the rears. And overall the sound is kind of harsh. In the screen shot below you'll see some action in the heavier parts of the rears, are the horns coming in. But, believe I need to drop my vote down now to a 7, and I'm being generous IMO.

GHS HB.jpg

For the most part, I'm not even sure that much could be done with it after the fact. I just listened to some of it and it's so front focused with what seems like muddiness in the rears. And overall the sound is kind of harsh. In the screen shot below you'll see some action in the heavier parts of the rears, are the horns coming in. But, believe I need to drop my vote down now to a 7, and I'm being generous IMO.

View attachment 76861
Dayum! The death of hope!
Basically, it got the Station to Station treatment... with 4 extra/optional channels of crap!
Except, additionally, the Atmos mix manages to castrate even the front channels. NO PUNCH!!!

Basically, it got the Station to Station treatment... with 4 extra/optional channels of crap!
While not an impressive surround mix by any means, to me this is a whole order of magnitude better than Station To Station - there was at least some actual effort to redistribute the instrumentation throughout the surround field (horns in "Heartbreaker", backing vocals in "Coming Down Again", etc) and reveal previously-hidden parts (piano in "Star Star", acoustic guitar in "Dancing With Mr. D", etc). I recall STS being just cavernous reverb in the rear speakers, save for the odd sound effect such as the train in the title track.

How about $41 delivered through Rarewaves? Worth it now?

$41 dollars delivered. That’s sounds reasonable. But I would contact the seller and make sure it’s shipped inside their own box to you. Explain that the flimsy grey cardboard is not for shipping. It’s just wrapping around the box.

This is a great classic Stones recording, even if the surround mix wasn’t what everyone wanted. Let’s hope someone with the Stones camp can learn from this release and do better next time. They only have to look at what the Beatles have done with surround for excellence.

I hope this title and “Tattoo You” are not the last of any more Stones surround titles. Really, they just need to read the reviews and listen to some excellent surround mixes to get it right. Don’t do the front heavy mix thing, with little or nothing in the back. Use all speakers equally to create the sound field.

That $41.00 price has me tempted now so I can hear just how bad or disappointing this release is. I will hold off for now, as I’m still trying to figure out how to sneak my twelve sacd order from Dutton in next week. Apparently my quad itch is out of control.
I wouldn't wait one more second, at that price. You'll spend $41 on 8 gallons of gas...and poof, that will be gone.

When this album came i quite quickly gave it a 10 as i was so happy to at last get an album with the stones in surround.
I have now lowered my 10 to an 8 as i have to admit that it is not as good as i first felt.
But what i have done is to raise the volume on the channels on the back speakers on the files i ripped from the disc.
I really love the result.
I love to hear the strings loudly like this on both Angie and Winter.
As an 5.a mix i wish they would have been more adventurous but this is what we got and it sounds much better than the original.

When this album came i quite quickly gave it a 10 as i was so happy to at last get an album with the stones in surround.
I have now lowered my 10 to an 8 as i have to admit that it is not as good as i first felt.
But what i have done is to raise the volume on the channels on the back speakers on the files i ripped from the disc.
I really love the result.
I love to hear the strings loudly like this on both Angie and Winter.
As an 5.a mix i wish they would have been more adventurous but this is what we got and it sounds much better than the original.
I agree, the rear chans have some action going on but need that super deluxe BOOST to really work out right.

I wouldn't wait one more second, at that price. You'll spend $41 on 8 gallons of gas...and poof, that will be gone.
I just grabbed the vinyl super deluxe as I want the Brussels '73 on LP, and I grabbed the CD/BR box as well since that price to simply not going to last. The BR disc itself is worth $45 or so.

Reactions: GOS
My version is…all my old man drugs I take might quadruple tomorrow and of course the road gets a little shorter everyday. Sixty bucks at Amazon will be spinning tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the wake up call.

$60 at AmazonUS
WTF, at that price I picked one up knowing that I will probably be able to re-sell it used for that much.
There were 7 when I ordered mine and there are only 4 now.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=goats+he...ix=goats,popular,77&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_5
Only one left now. I ended the torture and grabbed the second last one. When Janis looks at me like I’m insane when all this music arrives, I want you to know I’m going to blame it on all you quad forum members who get me so excited for this stuff. A sincere thanks to all.

Only one left now. I ended the torture and grabbed the second last one. When Janis looks at me like I’m insane when all this music arrives, I want you to know I’m going to blame it on all you quad forum members who get me so excited for this stuff. A sincere thanks to all.
Amazon like to play around with the number of units in hand. They claim 1 left and then that sells and another is available. Then two or three more. Then all gone sold out, or price goes back to $129.00 for the real last few in hand.

The issue I had is that I’m a big Stones fan and collector and I wanted the “clear vinyl” LP set, I wanted the BluRay disc, and I wanted the Brussels ‘73 concert on LP. To get these things would require purchase of all formats. And the full retail prices was a bit to much, especially since I’ve been trying to sell some things off and not purchase so many new things. And I own about four copes of the album as is.

But with this nice markdown I can get everything I wanted here after all.
These packages are done well and the book will be nice to have as well.

Back