RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, in general some of the mixes on there are pretty bad. But ones that are available on both streaming and physical are typically the same mix. That has been my experience so far, at least. I also really liked the Elton John Atmos mixes on Tidal which as far as I know are not available on physical.
This is off topic....probably needs another place... but I would LOVE to hear the Elton John Diamond mixes, but don't know if there is an easy way to do this with my amp and a MacBook Air.. I kind of doubt it. I have all the 5.1 SACDs of Elton, but all those extra tracks....Daniel, Bitch is Back, etc... I so wished they could be a high res blu ray. C'mon Reg - make it happen!

Just got shipping [ label number has been generated by seller and transmitted to shipper for eventual future pickup and delivery ] notification from uDiscover. :LB

Fixed it for you. ;)
Sorry. Traumatized by my personal uDiscover shipping adventures.
(They always got here eventually.)

Ever notice how these big releases often get shipped right before a holiday weekend?

Not to make anyone nervous, but in other news: 🌥

U.S. Mail truck burns near Chester

Chester and Hebron fireman and a wrecker crew from York worked Friday night to control a semi-track fire and salvage the vehicleʼs cargo of bulk mail.
Photo courtesy of the Thayer County Sheriffʼs office

1649967158779.png

Fixed it for you. ;)
Sorry. Traumatized by my personal uDiscover shipping adventures.
(They always got here eventually.)

Ever notice how these big releases often get shipped right before a holiday weekend?

Not to make anyone nervous, but in other news: 🌥

U.S. Mail truck burns near Chester

Chester and Hebron fireman and a wrecker crew from York worked Friday night to control a semi-track fire and salvage the vehicleʼs cargo of bulk mail.
Photo courtesy of the Thayer County Sheriffʼs office

View attachment 77888

LOL!, I know you are absolutely correct. They say shipped, but it really is a big fib. It's sitting in uDiscover warehouse, with a label on it.....not shipped.

It will be interesting to see if Apple Music updates the Atmos mixes that are out there tomorrow on release date. I know there was the issue of Tom Saywer and Limelight being significantly different in volume from the rest of the album. If that hasn't been fixed yet, they should at least fix that. I can't imagine that the Atmos mix that will be available for streaming will be a different mix from what is on the blu-ray in the box set. The wild card here is the 5.1 mix in the box set. If that is an entirely new and different mix from the Atmos, that would be interesting. But maybe not worth forking over $300+ to hear it.

Relying on all of you who took the plunge for your impressions of both mixes once you receive your boxes.
I ran into something interesting with the Tom Sawyer track volume problem. When I created a playlist with the Moving Pictures tracks in Atmos, the track order was jumbled (as it often is when you create a playlist using the top level track page options) and Tom Sawyer ended up near the end of the track list. I set my listening volume and started to play through the list, occasionally skipping a track. When I skipped to Tom Sawyer before the current track ended I noticed that the volume on Tom Sawyer did not change - it remained set at the current level. However, when I went back to the previous track and let it end normally before Tom Sawyer started up - bam, the volume on Tom Sawyer went up significantly and uncomfortably. This tells me there probably isn't anything wrong with the track mixes themselves, but is likely an Apple Music software glitch that is serving up the loud tracks incorrectly. Anyway, other than this weird volume problem I like the Atmos mix (particularly the use of the height channels) and would be willing to buy a standalone blu-ray package, but don't like it enough to pay the bloated box set price with unwanted vinyl and swag.

I ran into something interesting with the Tom Sawyer track volume problem. When I created a playlist with the Moving Pictures tracks in Atmos, the track order was jumbled (as it often is when you create a playlist using the top level track page options) and Tom Sawyer ended up near the end of the track list. I set my listening volume and started to play through the list, occasionally skipping a track. When I skipped to Tom Sawyer before the current track ended I noticed that the volume on Tom Sawyer did not change - it remained set at the current level. However, when I went back to the previous track and let it end normally before Tom Sawyer started up - bam, the volume on Tom Sawyer went up significantly and uncomfortably. This tells me there probably isn't anything wrong with the track mixes themselves, but is likely an Apple Music software glitch that is serving up the loud tracks incorrectly. Anyway, other than this weird volume problem I like the Atmos mix (particularly the use of the height channels) and would be willing to buy a standalone blu-ray package, but don't like it enough to pay the bloated box set price with unwanted vinyl and swag.

All I know is I'm listening to Tom Sawyer right now and it's about -12 dB down from anything else on my signal meters.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/tom-sawyer/1608979166?i=1608979168

Yeah, I'm not sure why AM hasn't released the full album...very weird.
Disc 1 (the original studio album) is in Atmos on Apple Music (has been for a while) and the rest of the tracks (Discs 2 and 3, the live concert) are all stereo only on AM. Are you not getting the whole thing where you are?

Just came across this and going to check this out later myself but looks like a good new interview done with Alex and Geddy about Moving Pictures.

Well just finished watching and well its MOVING.
If this is not right place for this interview mods please move.
I enjoyed this and brought a couple of tears as they talked about how they have dealt with the grief of losing Neil both during his the 3 and 1/2 years of the illness of keeping things private when Neil was sick as that is what their friend wanted and then the grieving after he died. At the end of the interview they touch on Taylor Hawkins passing away as well. There are also some laughs in this interview so hope people aren't scared off. It's a good 45 minute interview.

I just played the new mix through Tidal and I've have to confess I'm very happy with it on first listen on my system. It seems more spacious and less congested than his previous 5.1 mix and the previously released Atmos versions of Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I didn't experience any volume changes between the tracks. I think the EQ is good too. It's not Kraftwerk 3D but I wouldn't want it to be on this album. It's also not mostly wide stereo like many of his previous mixes.

I just played the new mix through Tidal and I've have to confess I'm very happy with it on first listen on my system. It seems more spacious and less congested than his previous 5.1 mix and the previously released Atmos versions of Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I didn't experience any volume changes between the tracks. I think the EQ is good too. It's not Kraftwerk 3D but I wouldn't want it to be on this album. It's also not mostly wide stereo like many of his previous mixes.

Anyone have the Tidal link? Thanks.
edit...
https://tidal.com/album/224207249

Last edited:
Disc 1 (the original studio album) is in Atmos on Apple Music (has been for a while) and the rest of the tracks (Discs 2 and 3, the live concert) are all stereo only on AM. Are you not getting the whole thing where you are?

I see what happened, it depends on which version I select...this one still shows "pre-release"

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 9.48.06 PM.png

this version is a full release

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 9.49.47 PM.png

and this is the "original" Atmos version

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 9.48.48 PM.png

So what I’m hearing is that first impressions are…positive? That’s genuinely surprising…
I’ve just finished listening to the Atmos mix on Tidal. I think the mix ranges from average to good, depending on the track. Vital signs is great. Tom Sawyer is good, particularly the second half. I have to say that this album has a thin/shrill sound to it that I don‘t enjoy playing it loud. It’s not the mix, of course.

This is just my first impression, not a detailed analysis. I don’t even remember how the 5.1 sounds, so hard to compare now for me.

I’ve just finished listening to the Atmos mix on Tidal. I think the mix ranges from average to good, depending on the track. Vital signs is great. Tom Sawyer is good, particularly the second half. I have to say that this album has a thin/shrill sound to it that I don‘t enjoy playing it loud. It’s not the mix, of course.

This is just my first impression, not a detailed analysis. I don’t even remember how the 5.1 sounds, so hard to compare now for me.
Sounds like I’m still sticking with my Canadian Anthem 1st pressing CD I got for 5 bucks. Not shrill at all and it sings at high volume 🙂

Back