SACD Super-Jewel Cases Availability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
When I got into SACD/DVD-A back in 2001 I bought a load of both cases as I often found my discs, which were mostly imports then, turned up with broken cases.

Seeing lots peoples posts on broken cases and the difficulty in finding them I got curious and found these SACD sources (all different from the original version as far as I can tell)

In the USA: Super Jewel Box SACD Case (New-Style) (5-Pack)
& -SACD Jewel Case-CD Care|Acoustic Sounds with the caveat

1698010764064.png

In the UK: SACD super jewel case - Retro Style Media

I couldn't find anywhere which are selling the DVD-Audio cases of yester year :(

When I got into SACD/DVD-A back in 2001 I bought a load of both cases as I often found my discs, which were mostly imports then, turned up with broken cases.

Seeing lots peoples posts on broken cases and the difficulty in finding them I got curious and found these SACD sources (all different from the original version as far as I can tell)

View attachment 97491

I couldn't find anywhere which are selling the DVD-Audio cases of yester year :(
Note that the U.K. source is also for the large hinge/"new-style" version. To my knowledge, no small hinge cases are still available new, even as new old stock.

Super Jewels, to my knowledge, aren't really actually manufactured anymore. Almost everything is old stock.
I believe you mean DVD~A cases ..... RHINO is utilizing Super Audio Jewel Cases for all their QUADIO BD~A releases and a lot of reissue companies still enclose their Stereo SACDs in Super Jewel Cases [AP, Universal Hong Kong, Evosound, etc].

AFAIK, Djabe was the last group that utilized the DVD~Audio cases until they ran out and now most of their new releases are enclosed in digipacks!

View attachment 97491

I crunched the numbers on the sacd cases. Music Direct offer is a better deal. 10 cases with shipping( tax not included)
Music Direct:$19.40, Acoustic Sounds $23.32

FWIW..some years back, a seller on eBay was selling a brunch of 'slightly used/virtually new' sacd/dvd-a cases.
I purchased something like 20 or so cases. I recall paying something like only $15-$20.
..the individual inlays were still in the cases! Really good deal!

Last edited:
I crunched the numbers on the sacd cases. Music Direct offer is a better deal. 10 cases with shipping( tax not included)
Music Direct:$19.40, Acoustic Sounds $23.32

FWIW..some years back, a seller on eBay was selling a brunch of 'slightly used/virtually new' sacd/dvd-a cases.
I purchased something like 20 or so cases. I recall paying something like only $15-$20.
..the individual inlays were still in the cases! Really good deal!
I went ahead yesterday and ordered 20 cases from Acoustic Sounds. Looks as though I could have saved a few $ from Music Direct.

I recall having purchased some from Acoustic Sounds a few years back and they were of good quality. This order should last me a while, but with the number of damaged cases I've been getting lately, I'm not so sure.

Also, what's the chance that these replacement cases will get damaged in transit? :ROFLMAO:

I went ahead yesterday and ordered 20 cases from Acoustic Sounds. Looks as though I could have saved a few $ from Music Direct.

I recall having purchased some from Acoustic Sounds a few years back and they were of good quality. This order should last me a while, but with the number of damaged cases I've been getting lately, I'm not so sure.

Also, what's the chance that these replacement cases will get damaged in transit? :ROFLMAO:
From past experiences, Acoustic Sounds packages their discs et alia with extreme care and unless the replacement cases are cracked to begin with [not likely] you should have NO worries whatsoever!

From past experiences, Acoustic Sounds packages their discs et alia with extreme care and unless the replacement cases are cracked to begin with [not likely] you should have NO worries whatsoever!
Thanks. That's reassuring. It looks as though the cases just shipped out via FedEx.
I should have them Thursday. FedEx even gave me a 4-hour delivery window.

I believe you mean DVD~A cases ..... RHINO is utilizing Super Audio Jewel Cases for all their QUADIO BD~A releases and a lot of reissue companies still enclose their Stereo SACDs in Super Jewel Cases [AP, Universal Hong Kong, Evosound, etc].

AFAIK, Djabe was the last group that utilized the DVD~Audio cases until they ran out and now most of their new releases are enclosed in digipacks!
I don't think that's true, given how many new releases are packaged in them.
Last I heard from Sony they're not being made anymore. New releases are using old stock. Things could have very well changed in the last two years.

Last edited:
Last I heard from Sony they're not being made anymore. New releases are using old stock. Things could have very well changed in the last two years.
Ironically, SONY who introduced the SACD case gave up on them rather quickly, opting to put their SACDs in CD cases with plastic overlays [which themselves were phased out].

With RHINO putting all their thousands of QUADIO BD~As in Super Audio jewel cases I'm sure another company is manufacturing them...and doubtful SONY manufactured them in the first place!

Last edited:
Are SACD and DVD Audio super jewel cases interchangeable?

I recently got a DVD Audio with a cracked case and I thought about replacing it with an SACD case. Will this work?

I don’t have any SACDs to compare the dimensions.

Are SACD and DVD Audio super jewel cases interchangeable?

I recently got a DVD Audio with a cracked case and I thought about replacing it with an SACD case. Will this work?

I don’t have any SACDs to compare the dimensions.
They are not. DVD SJCs are similar to DVD Cases in size.

Thanks for the reply, Mr Afternoon. However, I just want to confirm you’re talking about DVD Audio? I have two DVD-As in super jewel cases, and I would say they are closer in size and shape (squarish) to a CD case.
1701989431272.png

SACD uses the standard size, while DVD-A uses the Plus Size. Haven't seen any Kings in the wild.

Back