Sansui QS vs Synthesize Surround. What's the difference?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I have a QRX-9001 which, of course, has a QS position for matrix decoding. But it also has both a Hall and Synthesize button. (I'm not a fan of the Hall setting.)

There is definitely, to my ears, a difference between playing a stereo recording in QS mode vs Synthesize mode when it comes to faking surround. Can someone explain why? Without getting too technical for my limited matrix understanding brain, 🤓 what happens to make it sound like there is more separation?

(It's probably the reason why I don't use my Surround Master more for synthesizing stuff.)

I have a QRX-9001 which, of course, has a QS position for matrix decoding. But it also has both a Hall and Synthesize button. (I'm not a fan of the Hall setting.)

There is definitely, to my ears, a difference between playing a stereo recording in QS mode vs Synthesize mode when it comes to faking surround. Can someone explain why? Without getting too technical for my limited matrix understanding brain, 🤓 what happens to make it sound like there is more separation?

(It's probably the reason why I don't use my Surround Master more for synthesizing stuff.)
In the Synth mode Sansui puts some opposite phase blending before decoding. With stereo that creates a 270 deg or horseshoe sound field. It makes stereo input more like a QS sound source.
This opposite phase blending can be done on a PC or with hardware for a spectacular result with the SM.

In the Synth mode Sansui puts some opposite phase blending before decoding. With stereo that creates a 270 deg or horseshoe sound field. It makes stereo input more like a QS sound source.
This opposite phase blending can be done on a PC or with hardware for a spectacular result with the SM.
Cool. Well, that explains why it sounds so good on stereo sources, better than in QS mode or with my Surround Master.

If I did the whole computer thing, I'd try it. But I'm more of a physical media guy. Limited material, but much easier. 🙂

Back