Setting Up Home Theater / Listening Room

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new fanless quiet PC arrived and I set it up as pure as I know how. Windows 10, using Windows Defender for security, and Microsoft Edge for a browser with JRiver as the player. Set up was easy, JRiver rebuilding from my NAS took about 16 hours. After 16 hours it was barely warm and not a peep of noise. I like the size of it 4 X the size of my NUC that it will replace, robust power supply. It will look aesthetically better in the audio rack and will not move if there is a little tug on interconnects. Some other little inexpensive things I bought are nylon sheaths and heat shrink tubing to make pretty the cables that come out of wall and up through floor, I'll probably only do it for rear surrounds? The fun part of all this is the end part with all the little tweaks. Sheetrock tape and mud guy now is coming on Monday, engineered floor wood arriving end of next week, maybe I'll paint ceiling and get some walls painted this weekend?
IMG_0627.jpg

Don't ever put your nice audio equipment in closed in cabinets like I did, live and learn, cable management sucks, dust is everywhere.
Today I pulled an OPPO and the NUC, placed the new PC on floor, just got to get it to work, it does, few glitches, wife says you are not going to leave that on the floor, just for a little while. No wonder my little NUC was working so hard after sucking dust.
IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0636.jpg

Don't ever put your nice audio equipment in closed in cabinets like I did, live and learn, cable management sucks, dust is everywhere.
Today I pulled an OPPO and the NUC, placed the new PC on floor, just got to get it to work, it does, few glitches, wife says you are not going to leave that on the floor, just for a little while. No wonder my little NUC was working so hard after sucking dust.
View attachment 54962View attachment 54963View attachment 54964View attachment 54965
Right on, my main system is in one of those large hole in the wall units, and it sucks big time, STAY AWAY from that sort of thing, you really need to have good access to the back of your gear -TRUST ME ON THIS!

Right on, my main system is in one of those large hole in the wall units, and it sucks big time, STAY AWAY from that sort of thing, you really need to have good access to the back of your gear -TRUST ME ON THIS!
The new rig will have 100% access 100% of time. Cable management alone will free up my sound quality, I have interconnects twisted with speaker and power cords, I'll say it again, Live and Learn, that is the point and fun of climbing the hobby ladder.

Nice, on casters to roll; might even put a quiet exhaust fan at the top rear :unsure:
The castors are a necessity, all my kit is too heavy to lift a spiked rack to get at something! My open rack castors snapped so I had to fix it to a furniture moving dolly. But the damn thing has a mind like a shopping trolley, every wheel wants to goes its own way! So moving it is also a nightmare, and then there is the dust ingress.

The castors are a necessity, all my kit is too heavy to lift a spiked rack to get at something! My open rack castors snapped so I had to fix it to a furniture moving dolly. But the damn thing has a mind like a shopping trolley, every wheel wants to goes its own way! So moving it is also a nightmare, and then there is the dust ingress.
That Sanus has adjustable post support to keep it solid. And maybe filter the lower vents somehow (A/C filter); for the upper fan output.

I don't think there's any way to avoid dust in a NUC due to the miniature design of the heatsink/fan combo - the port on the back is so small, and it's both air intake and exhaust. I have to pull my NUC out of the shelf every few months and blow the dust out using a can of compressed air.

You can tell it's time to do it when the fan starts to spin enough that it's audible in the room - it's struggling to make up for the reduced airflow caused by the dust blockage.

I don't think there's any way to avoid dust in a NUC due to the miniature design of the heatsink/fan combo - the port on the back is so small, and it's both air intake and exhaust. I have to pull my NUC out of the shelf every few months and blow the dust out using a can of compressed air.

You can tell it's time to do it when the fan starts to spin enough that it's audible in the room - it's struggling to make up for the reduced airflow caused by the dust blockage.
Hmm, probably about time to open mine up and give a look, had it about six months now.

Hmm, probably about time to open mine up and give a look, had it about six months now.

You don't even need to open it up - the fan/heatsink assembly is at the very top of the NUC (under the "roof") and it's entirely isolated (airflow wise) from everything else.

The various generations of NUCs are all slightly different, but the fan intake/exhaust is always in the same place - in the picture below it's the two square rectangular ports at the top. Just hit that with an air duster and you'll know immediately if it's dusty or not.

1596840649960.png

The necessity of cooling is one of the reasons I have my components in a separate room from my listening/viewing room. I installed exhaust fans in the backs of each equipment cabinet. I also installed extra fans in all amplifiers. So, some are blowing air into the components while the cabinet fans are exhausting the air & heat. I use pc fans and power them all with the power cable/transformer from a discarded laptop. They are quiet (but not silent) and do keep the equipment cool.
I also installed 'trap doors' in several places in the cabinets for access to the backs of components, but it is still a pain when I have to change out wiring.

Last edited:
What I did when I designed my Hole in the Wall setup for cooling, was order a custom (quiet) fan and installed it at the top of the cabinets. I had to cut holes to match the small fans. The fans (a single dual unit) have an adjustable thermostat, to come on if the temperature hits a certain point. Since hot air rises it’s worked out pretty good so far. That center section of the cabinet houses my AVR with no other gear over it and lots of headroom, and all sections are vented at some point. There is also open areas in the back for wiring, but it’s still a headache to get to. It’s difficult to think of every functional design element, as when you’re done and have used the system for years, I believe you inevitably think of things that could have been done better.

What I did when I designed my Hole in the Wall setup for cooling, was order a custom (quiet) fan and installed it at the top of the cabinets. I had to cut holes to match the small fans. The fans (a single dual unit) have an adjustable thermostat, to come on if the temperature hits a certain point. Since hot air rises it’s worked out pretty good so far. That center section of the cabinet houses my AVR with no other gear over it and lots of headroom, and all sections are vented at some point. There is also open areas in the back for wiring, but it’s still a headache to get to. It’s difficult to think of every functional design element, as when you’re done and have used the system for years, I believe you inevitably think of things that could have been done better.

And MOST importantly, Markie, since you're on the second floor....ensure your ROOF is in excellent condition. Wouldn't want those in ceiling ATMOS speakers to get waterlogged.

I can put you in touch with a GREAT ROOFER in Northern CALI!!!!!!!!

Back