• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Show us your gear!

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Mcallister

Now working on the half round diffusers. They are replacing the auralex styrofoam diffusers in the pic.

Because the space I had to work with was 21.75” I used 10” sonotube. Cut them and half and to length and added braces to the back.

Going to get some oak today to make caps for the top and bottom of each. I’ll the. Wrap I. Black fabric, stuff with insulation and mount on the door as shown and the wall opposite of room door.

I was going to build 8 of the skylines but the weight would have been too much for the door hence the half rounds. Being slightly in front of the seating I hoping the half round diffusion will open up the perceivable length of the room. We shall see.

Attachments

DaveLaPorte53

I think this will show my " set up", Poineer 949A, 2 CerwinVaga E-15's, 2 E-12, Marantz , Marantz SR-7500.
I feed the decoded signal from my Poineer to my Marantz, using the headphone jacks, up the wall ,across the ceiling, down to the closet holding the AV equipment.Oh, a Teac
4300s, and Teac, and a pair of Denon DD servo-drive turn tables.
v1000 real to real too

Attachments

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I think this will show my " set up", Poineer 949A, 2 CerwinVaga E-15's, 2 E-12, Marantz , Marantz SR-7500.
I feed the decoded signal from my Poineer to my Marantz, using the headphone jacks, up the wall ,across the ceiling, down to the closet holding the AV equipment.Oh, a Teac
v1000 real to real too
I have R-to-R envy I never got a Quad TEAC! I have 2 Akai stereo R-to-Rs though

esimms86

500 Club - QQ All-Star
v1000 real to real too
Beautiful system! The Teac 3340 was always my dream R2R deck but I couldn't afford it back in my college days. Poor me, I had to settle for a used/refurnished Revox stereo R2R and a pair of JBL L100 speakers LOL!

Last edited:

The56Kid

800 Club - QQ All-Star
v1000 real to real too
Looks sweet as apple butter, Dave. Very nice space!

esimms86

500 Club - QQ All-Star
v1000 real to real too
I love that the seating arrangement screams out “don’t mess with my sweet spot!”

DaveLaPorte53

Beautiful system! The Teac 3340 was always my dream R2R deck but I couldn't afford it back in my college days. Poor me, I had to settle for a used/refurnished Revox stereo R2R and a pair of JBL L100 speakers LOL!
They're out there , but it's a bit of a crap shoot to find one that doesn't need work, no matter what the seller states in the ad.

esimms86

500 Club - QQ All-Star
They're out there , but it's a bit of a crap shoot to find one that doesn't need work, no matter what the seller states in the ad.
Too true. Now, in the days of SACD and DVD Audio, I don’t know that I want to delve back into the realm of R2R. The notion of buying and reconditioning a R2R and also building up a quad tape library from scratch would be economically prohibitive in 2020. And then Dutton Vocalion would end up releasing some of the same recordings in SACD LOL! I know, first world problems! Anyway, though I’m admittedly jealous of your incredible system, with my digital library I certainly have nothing to complain it.

DaveLaPorte53

Too true. Now, in the days of SACD and DVD Audio, I don’t know that I want to delve back into the realm of R2R. The notion of buying and reconditioning a R2R and also building up a quad tape library from scratch would be economically prohibitive in 2020. And then Dutton Vocalion would end up releasing some of the same recordings in SACD LOL! I know, first world problems! Anyway, though I’m admittedly jealous of your incredible system, with my digital library I certainly have nothing to complain it.
I keep them for recordings which never were Albums, such as a Live recording of Canned Heat on WBCN radio, I obtained a set of, off the mixing board tapes , uncut with all the chatter that make live recordings so great. Cd release of the broad cast are not full length.

DaveLaPorte53

I keep them for recordings which never were Albums, such as a Live recording of Canned Heat on WBCN radio, I obtained a set of, off the mixing board tapes , uncut with all the chatter that make live recordings so great. Cd release of the broad cast are not full length.
PS the station was broad casting in Quad, like my picture shows.

esimms86

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Good point. It’s like you have the master tapes. Too cool!

Jim the Oldbie

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks... ;)

Awhile back, I upgraded my projector to a nice BenQ HT3050. It has a shorter throw than the previous model, so it displays a much larger picture at the same distance, overflowing my old 84" DIY screen. I had 2 choices: either move the projector mount from the back wall out across the ceiling somehow (pass), or: get a bigger screen! (Yes please!)

I wanted a fixed screen so as not to worry about wrinkles etc. from a rollup type. Only one problem: The front door to my apartment is right in the middle of the living room wall. I'd mounted the previous screen on a heavy-duty drawer slide so it could move in & out of position, but the new 106" screen pretty much covers the door. It has to slide about a meter, way more than the drawer slide can extend. The solution: bolt 2 slides together:

FrameExtended.jpg FrameRetracted.jpg ScreenInUse.jpg

(For a size reference, that's a 55" TV on the computer desk.)

Ridiculous? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. :p

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks... ;)

Awhile back, I upgraded my projector to a nice BenQ HT3050. It has a shorter throw than the previous model, so it displays a much larger picture at the same distance, overflowing my old 84" DIY screen. I had 2 choices: either move the projector mount from the back wall out across the ceiling somehow (pass), or: get a bigger screen! (Yes please!)

I wanted a fixed screen so as not to worry about wrinkles etc. from a rollup type. Only one problem: The front door to my apartment is right in the middle of the living room wall. I'd mounted the previous screen on a heavy-duty drawer slide so it could move in & out of position, but the new 106" screen pretty much covers the door. It has to slide about a meter, way more than the drawer slide can extend. The solution: bolt 2 slides together:

View attachment 46256 View attachment 46257 View attachment 46258

(For a size reference, that's a 55" TV on the computer desk.)

Ridiculous? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. :p
Crazy man (but in a good way!) Also, 55” computer screen - sweet!
Do you ever project the QQ up on the 106?

Group builder