Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Marantz AV 10 has arrived, and it looks gorgeous.

I hooked it up and run an Audyssey calibration using a calibrated microphone and the MultEQ-X PC app. This way, I was able to correct the main room modes below 300Hz and only apply minor parametric EQ above those frequencies. The PC app is not for free but it is totally worth it. I checked the results with a UMIK 1 and REW, and I’m happy with the calibration. Results are not subtle. Since this AV processor supports Dirac, I think I will try it.

Now I can use all balanced pre-outs to the amplifier, and also balanced cables to the Panasonic BD 9000 for stereo CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

Things that are great:
- how it looks
- the low weight since it has no amps inside
- it doesn’t run hot since it has no amps
- the 1080p GUI is amazing
- the remote control with backlight
- balanced connections
- good phono preamp
- performance. I did look at the measurements before buying this unit, and together with the amp they run dead quiet, no hiss
- HEOS works pretty well. It’s stereo only but it’s underrated as an app
- two speaker presets to test different settings and calibrations

Things that I don’t like:
- no HDMI in the front panel. This was handy on the old Denon to connect my laptop and compare masterings with Audacity
- the 1080p GUI is slower than the low res GUI of my old Denon
- my NUC 10th generation doesn’t like this new AV processor. All signals are sent correctly apart from the most important one - Dolby TrueHD. This is a known issue so I will replace the NUC with another computer to use Kodi.

Overall, this is a terrific AV processor and I‘m thrilled to have it. I’m also looking forward to learning how it works and what it has to offer. I definitely want to try 360RA decoding in the coming days.

View attachment 97452
View attachment 97453
View attachment 97455

View attachment 97454
View attachment 97456

View attachment 97457
View attachment 97458
it does indeed look hot! congrats on your purchase!
And overall your setup and pad looks very neat.
just XLR inputs?

it does indeed look hot! congrats on your purchase!
And overall your setup and pad looks very neat.
just XLR inputs?
XLR for the interconnects to the amplifier but you also have RCA for all channels.

I’m using XLR also for the Blu-ray player because mine has stereo XLR outs. But it’s also connected through HDMI for multichannel. There are two more slots for RCA analogue in that I’m not using.

Another thing I discovered about this new AV10:
DD stereo and DD+ Atmos are now grouped under the same Sound Mode, which wasn’t the case for the Denon x6400h. So, listening from the LG TV and Tidal, Atmos albums are decoded to Atmos but stereo albums are upmixed via Dolby Surround. I haven’t found a way to let the AV processor decode DD stereo to stereo and DD+ Atmos to Atmos. Perhaps I’m missing something but the Denon had no issues retaining the two different sound modes for the two signals.

Also, legacy codecs work okay. DTS 96/24 and normal DTS are both displayed as DTS Surround but the former is decoded correctly at 96KHz sample rate. So, only the visualised name has changed, which is good.

DTS-HD Master has a default Sound Mode to upmix it only if the sample rate is 48KHz (the case of most movies). But it’s retained in its original formal if the sample rate is 96KHz. This is handy because you might want to upmix movies but not concerts or multichannel audio.

The default sound mode for Airplay is curiously Direct, which does not engage Audyssey.

I’m not sure I fully understand the logic behind default sound modes, but there are some differences with my previous receiver.

Def congrats on your new baby! Be aware, as I was so recently reminded, if you use Dirac the signal will be capped at 48kHz. Not a deal breaker for me, you may feel differently. I have no idea if Audyssey does the same.
It does. Any supposed benefits of higher sampling rates will be far outweighed by the room correction.

Def congrats on your new baby! Be aware, as I was so recently reminded, if you use Dirac the signal will be capped at 48kHz. Not a deal breaker for me, you may feel differently. I have no idea if Audyssey does the same.
It does. Any supposed benefits of higher sampling rates will be far outweighed by the room correction.
Remarkable, isn’t it? How things like good mastering and room EQ always trump the digital metrics.

I live in an apartment so ceiling speakers for atmos is a no-no, I decided to go as high as possible on the wall and point the speakers down to my mlp
Top middle left
IMG_8333.jpeg

Top middle right
IMG_8334.jpeg

Not hooked up yet but this is the early 70's gear! At the moment I don't own any speakers yet! Let's say I started all over ..! Accept for the headphones and the two Technics Quad 8-track decks it's everything gear wise. I do own multiple pre recorded and blanc stereo 8-track and quad 8-teack tapes . Several quad records and blanc audio cassette tapes and a couple of stereo CD's

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_084425027.jpg
    IMG_20231127_084425027.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Update: one of the two Technics quad 8-track decks I mentioned before has been delivered. So here a picture of the Technics RS-858US. It is fully functional (was sold as is) but runs a little slow. Belt rubs against the motor pulley / spindle due to the fact the motor is tilted towards the flywheel pulley. Caused by rotten out motor grommets. So these I have to replace.

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_183509316.jpg
    IMG_20231127_183509316.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Just while I posted the Technics RS-858DUS, my second deck got delivered at my front door. So here they are together.

Two is enough!

Update: The Ebay German multi voltage 858DUS is perfect ,speed correct, sounds perfect on 2, 4 channel playback and record. I haven't even opened it up yet to clean, lub and Deoxit it etc. The 858US from Ebay USA however had bad sound, cutting out channels, crackles and slow speed and a hot chassis!!! I have opened it up today and cleaned, lubed and Deoxit it. I found rotten motor grommets, motor tilts towards flywheel, so belt rubs against one side of the motor pulley. I hope this is the reason it runs slow. (cartridge rollers are not slipping, so no pressure tension spring adjustment needed) When I have motor grommets replaced, I hope it runs / plays correct speed. If not, i'll have to open up the motor and clean and lub it. That will have to solve it. It is a 117 volt 50/60 hz version by the way. If that doesn't solve it a motor cap replacement and or resistor will have to do the trick..! If not we have to go the DC adjustable DC speed motor replacement. Lets hope that is not it. Aside the speed issue it sounds now great though! One other issue to solve. It suffers from a hot chassis...? Ground or short issue somewhere. Could be the reason / issue for the slow running motor. I hope the motor cap is turning into a resistor that causes the hot chassis and slow speed. Course replace it, would be an easy fix! It is a huge 5 to 6 cm in length aluminium oil cap in this deck placed in a metal mount by the way. Thus not like the smaller blue electrolitic capitor in your deck. Anyways, keep you posted!

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_191505534_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231127_191505534_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stop.harassing me with moderator approval bully nonsense..plsss!??? Or am I being hacked..?.

Hi, Moderator here,

The first few posts from new members have to be approved by one of us before they're visible to everyone. This is to stop spammers, scammers, trolls and other disruptive types from causing any trouble here. You're not being bullied or hacked (or anything else) just keep posting as normal and you'll pass this threshold and your posts will appear immediately.

Back