Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beyond excited and chuffed now with a properly arranged and acoustically treated Dolby Atmos and Vision Home Theater setup (7.1.4). I can finally see real black tones on an 83” screen!

Good riddance movie theaters, annoying lousy seaters, crappy sound and video, outrageous overpriced snacks, goodbye to you all!

View attachment 93484View attachment 93483
awesome !! Good job -----------------enjoy. wow

Speaking of WOLED TVs. For those with knowledge as well as experience...how common is burn-in within this technology? I will upgrade my regular LCD TV to an 83-85", but I'm still on the fence on whether to go MINI LED or WOLED. Price is significant higher on WOLED, however comparing these two I don't know how much of increase in quality there is.
As stated before by others static pictures could be a problem. I had it with my LG 65" Screen when I was listening to web radio channels. Also the pixel refresher which runs frequently didn't help anymore. My new Philips dimms brightness down after a couple of minutes and also starts a screen saver. Why my LG didn't start it's screen saver when using the web radio I don't know. Maybe because I was using an Amazon Fire TV stick instead of using the TV Amazon App.

Beyond excited and chuffed now with a properly arranged and acoustically treated Dolby Atmos and Vision Home Theater setup (7.1.4). I can finally see real black tones on an 83” screen!

Good riddance movie theaters, annoying lousy seaters, crappy sound and video, outrageous overpriced snacks, goodbye to you all!

I bet this one rocks!!

Awesome space you have there. Is that a basement space you've taken advantage of?

sanamabiche!
PLUG!
https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/76810074
ra,raglan,x1950,black_white,front-c,160,90,1000,1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

Great layout! What caught my eye first thing was that you have the SAME rare Marilyn print on the door that I have in my home theater/media room !!

I have a question about your ATMOS speakers. You have your rear atmos speakers above your back floor speakers, as Dolby recommends. But you don't have your front ATMOS speakers above your front floor speakers as Dolby recommends, putting them closer to your seating. Why ??

Great layout! What caught my eye first thing was that you have the SAME rare Marilyn print on the door that I have in my home theater/media room !!

I have a question about your ATMOS speakers. You have your rear atmos speakers above your back floor speakers, as Dolby recommends. But you don't have your front ATMOS speakers above your front floor speakers as Dolby recommends, putting them closer to your seating. Why ??
haha awesome/odd coincidence about the Marilyn frame. It was given by my dad.
Thanks for the compliments!

In regards your question, I followed Dolby's setup guide. As you can see on the 7.1.4 layout, the front atmos are not at front floor level. They are closer to the seating. I could move the rear floor speakers closer to the seat, as Dolby suggests, but it'll be in the way of the washing room hehe

1688754689604.png

Last edited:

Great looking set up and room! I am especially drawn to your ceiling treatment. My room uses a projector and control of ambient light is even more essential for good contrast. I have a dark brown carpet and no white furniture so that helps. But ceiling is just a plain 'ol all white drop ceiling. It really lights up at the top of the screen.

I had frequently considered painting it black but that included the support bars. Some how that just never really turned me on. But the black & white like you have looks great. That's what I plan to do. I even bought a couple of quarts of the blackest paint a normal human can buy:

https://us.rosco.com/en/product/tv-paint
Thanks for the inspiration!

haha awesome/odd coincidence about the Marilyn frame. It was given by my dad.
Thanks for the compliments!

In regards your question, I followed Dolby's setup guide. As you can see on the 7.1.4 layout, the front atmos are not at front floor level. They are closer to the seating. I could move the rear floor speakers closer to the seat, as Dolby suggests, but it'll be in the way of the washing room hehe

View attachment 93619

Birds of A feather.....you and I have the same Beatles Abbey Road poster in our mancaves

Great looking set up and room! I am especially drawn to your ceiling treatment. My room uses a projector and control of ambient light is even more essential for good contrast. I have a dark brown carpet and no white furniture so that helps. But ceiling is just a plain 'ol all white drop ceiling. It really lights up at the top of the screen.

I had frequently considered painting it black but that included the support bars. Some how that just never really turned me on. But the black & white like you have looks great. That's what I plan to do. I even bought a couple of quarts of the blackest paint a normal human can buy:

https://us.rosco.com/en/product/tv-paint
Thanks for the inspiration!
Wanna know a secret? 😜 it's not painting.
They are insulation panels or boards (Owen's Corning). That's what I used to have acoustic treatment since the room was kinda big (21' x 21')
2 1/2" thick so they helped alooot! with the treatment.

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/insulation/products/selectsound-black-acoustic-board
EDIT: They are a PITA to install because if your skin gets in contact with it, you get so itchy! but as Neil Peart would say "we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost"

It's such an compliment to be an influence on your setups!
I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Wanna know the secret? 😜 it's not painting.
They are insulation panels or boards (Owen's Corning). That's what I used to have acoustic treatment since the room was kinda big (21' x 21')
2 1/2" thick so they helped alooot! with the treatment.

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/insulation/products/selectsound-black-acoustic-board
EDIT: They are a PITA to install because if your skin gets in contact with it, you get so itchy! but as Neil Peart would say "we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost"

It's such an inspiration to be an influence on your setups!
I appreciate it.
Well that's just brilliant! Besides helping with room acoustics I imagine it cuts down sound transmission to other rooms.

They currently have it available in 1" or 2" versions, the latter being considerably better. But even the thinner one might be too thick for me. Who ever installed the drop ceiling (not me!) got just as very close to the basement ceiling rafters as possible. Room to run wires but I don't think I could wiggle in more than a regular 1/2" board.

And I already bought the paint. Now I'm thinking I may just need to paint the first few rows for good improvement. I'll post pics when done. Thanks!

Yep, I feel the same.
I went with friends to see the new Indiana Jones movie at the local IMAX last week.
What bothered me the most was the rugs on the floors. I don't believe they've been replaced once since the theater was built about 10 years ago. They had the perfect opportunity while they were closed for some time during the covid shutdown but nothing was done. I wish I had the forethought to take a few pictures when I was there and send them to corporate, health dept, etc. They are really disgusting, I don't think a single spot exists where you can see the original color that isn't covered by stains from spilled soda, etc. At close to $20 a ticket I expect better. :mad:
I've got a great HT but sometimes the friends want to do the social thing and ----------

Well that's just brilliant! Besides helping with room acoustics I imagine it cuts down sound transmission to other rooms.

They currently have it available in 1" or 2" versions, the latter being considerably better. But even the thinner one might be too thick for me. Who ever installed the drop ceiling (not me!) got just as very close to the basement ceiling rafters as possible. Room to run wires but I don't think I could wiggle in more than a regular 1/2" board.

And I already bought the paint. Now I'm thinking I may just need to paint the first few rows for good improvement. I'll post pics when done. Thanks!
you're right, I may be wrong, it was a 2" thick.
Show us the results of your painting job once you're done, and if you still want to have a better acoustics go with the 1" board :)

Yep, I feel the same.
I went with friends to see the new Indiana Jones movie at the local IMAX last week.
What bothered me the most was the rugs on the floors. I don't believe they've been replaced once since the theater was built about 10 years ago. They had the perfect opportunity while they were closed for some time during the covid shutdown but nothing was done. I wish I had the forethought to take a few pictures when I was there and send them to corporate, health dept, etc. They are really disgusting, I don't think a single spot exists where you can see the original color that isn't covered by stains from spilled soda, etc. At close to $20 a ticket I expect better. :mad:
I've got a great HT but sometimes the friends want to do the social thing and ----------
Yup, I used to be a theater regular.
When my wife and I started dating we used to go 3-5 times a month to the movies...now with my setup and all what's been mentioned above I hardly go twice per year.

I may go to watch Oppenheimer, other than that one I dont have any interest for any upcoming movie to get off the comfort of my home.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that you can never have too many valve amplifiers so I’ve just got a new one. Well, when I say ‘new’…

The Beard P35 Mk2 was probably the last ‘mass market’ HiFi valve amplifier made in the UK. I always wanted one back in the eighties but never actually got one. They were very famous and this iconic tongue in cheek advert ran in all the HiFi mags for several years -

P35_0.JPG

It was a highly regarded amp and today even total wrecks can sell for silly money. So I was delighted recently to stumble across one for sale that was effectively unused. According to the dealer it was found, with a whole load of other vintage equipment, carefully stored in original packaging in a dedicated room of a London flat by someone who seemingly collected expensive equipment but never used it!

Much excitement as the dealer has just brought it round! -

P35_1.jpg

It was made in 1988 which I think must have been the last year of manufacture. These pictures don’t really do it justice - it really is in mint condition, without a mark on it -

P35_2.jpg

P35_3.jpg

P35_4.jpg

P35_5.jpg

P35_6.jpg

Other than being tested by the dealer for a couple of hours, I don’t think it’s ever been switched on (e.g. none of the high wattage resistors show the discolouration you’d expect to see after even very little use) -

P35_7.jpg

I’ll update it with modern components (it might be ‘new’ but it is 35 years old!) and make an autotransformer up to run it from a slightly reduced mains voltage so as not to stress it. Great fun!

Congrats, Alan - very nice!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that you can never have too many valve amplifiers so I’ve just got a new one. Well, when I say ‘new’…

The Beard P35 Mk2 was probably the last ‘mass market’ HiFi valve amplifier made in the UK. I always wanted one back in the eighties but never actually got one. They were very famous and this iconic tongue in cheek advert ran in all the HiFi mags for several years -

View attachment 94273

It was a highly regarded amp and today even total wrecks can sell for silly money. So I was delighted recently to stumble across one for sale that was effectively unused. According to the dealer it was found, with a whole load of other vintage equipment, carefully stored in original packaging in a dedicated room of a London flat by someone who seemingly collected expensive equipment but never used it!

Much excitement as the dealer has just brought it round! -

View attachment 94274

It was made in 1988 which I think must have been the last year of manufacture. These pictures don’t really do it justice - it really is in mint condition, without a mark on it -

View attachment 94275

View attachment 94276

View attachment 94277

View attachment 94278

View attachment 94279

Other than being tested by the dealer for a couple of hours, I don’t think it’s ever been switched on (e.g. none of the high wattage resistors show the discolouration you’d expect to see after even very little use) -

View attachment 94280

I’ll update it with modern components (it might be ‘new’ but it is 35 years old!) and make an autotransformer up to run it from a slightly reduced mains voltage so as not to stress it. Great fun!
I don't quite understand your excitement. Everything I've read about tube amplifiers shows their sonic reproduction to be objectively inferior to solid-state ones; it's rather like claiming vinyl records are objectively "better" than CDs.

But I'm always open to relevant evidence (i.e. objective measurements, and not subjective impressions) to change my mind, if you wanna have a go. I should say that, for my own part, I would wish that what I hear is as close as possible to what the musicians intended me to hear, free of any introduced distortion (or whatever) by sources, amplifiers, and speakers.

Back