Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow indeed. How close is Lebanon NJ to you? Any concerns about your foundation or railroad tracks?

https://nypost.com/2024/04/05/us-news/earthquake-rocks-nyc-tri-state-area/
We are 15 miles from the epicenter. I checked all gas piping, foundations, chimney, etc. and found no damage.

USGS says the quake lasted only a couple of seconds, but the time from the house started shaking until it stopped rumbling was about 40 seconds to a minute.

I realized it was a quake after about 10 seconds and that it was not a truck or helicopter. We get small ones from time to time in the New Jersey highlands. The house will rumble for a second or two, but experiencing this somewhat larger quake was cool.

Geez, we just had an earthquake here. The whole house shook for about a minute. Anyone else?

Edit: USGS reporting 4.7 magnitude; epicenter 15 miles from my house. Who needs a subwoofer? LOL
I was jolted out of bed. Thought it was construction workers who were replacing the entire front steps and stoop at my house. And then came across this on AOL News:

Man getting vasectomy during earthquake recounts experience​

One Horsham, Pennsylvania, man shared his unusual earthquake experience, saying the tremors hit when he was in the middle of receiving a vasectomy.

"The surgeon sort of froze and all of us kind of seemed a bit confused," Justin Allen told USA TODAY. "Even when the surgeon said 'that’s gotta be an earthquake,' I thought he was joking."

Luckily, Allen's doctor was able to resume the procedure after a brief pause, and the rest went off without a hitch. Now recovering at home, Allen said it's an experience no one involved will forget, especially because his social media post about the incident has since gone viral.

"My wife says that 'this is a clear and obvious sign that we should not have any more kids,'" Allen said.

We are 15 miles from the epicenter. I checked all gas piping, foundations, chimney, etc. and found no damage.

USGS says the quake lasted only a couple of seconds, but the time from the house started shaking until it stopped rumbling was about 40 seconds to a minute.

I realized it was a quake after about 10 seconds and that it was not a truck or helicopter. We get small ones from time to time in the New Jersey highlands. The house will rumble for a second or two, but experiencing this somewhat larger quake was cool.
A recent update from AOL News regarding 4.8 Quake in New Jersey:

At least 2 aftershocks in first few hours after earthquake​

Sara McBride, a scientist with the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, said the agency has recorded at least two aftershocks related in the first few hours after the quake struck. The agency continues to refine its aftershock forecast for this event.

“There’s a 3% chance of magnitude 5 or greater in the next week related to this earthquake,” McBride said during a news briefing.

And come Monday, April 8th a full solar eclipse!

Beyonce's new album Cowboy Carter is bloody amazing. And Willie Nelson's cameo is hilarious. Not too keen on her version of Jolene, but otherwise, masterpiece!

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
A recent update from AOL News regarding 4.8 Quake in New Jersey:

At least 2 aftershocks in first few hours after earthquake​

Sara McBride, a scientist with the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, said the agency has recorded at least two aftershocks related in the first few hours after the quake struck. The agency continues to refine its aftershock forecast for this event.

“There’s a 3% chance of magnitude 5 or greater in the next week related to this earthquake,” McBride said during a news briefing.

And come Monday, April 8th a full solar eclipse!
We had an aftershock around 6 PM. My wife timed it at about 13 seconds. The 4.0 magnitude makes that aftershock the 7th largest quake recorded in this region...almost as large as what I can generate with my giant AR9 speakers. :ROFLMAO:

I've only experienced 1 earthquake. I was in Rancagua, Chile for business. I was in my little hotel room around 8pm. Suddenly the walls started moving and my bed was jumping. Obviously, being from central Illinois...I was freaked. I ran down the stairs and outside. I was the only one. It was a 5.4. Scared the shit out of me.

I've only experienced 1 earthquake. I was in Rancagua, Chile for business. I was in my little hotel room around 8pm. Suddenly the walls started moving and my bed was jumping. Obviously, being from central Illinois...I was freaked. I ran down the stairs and outside. I was the only one. It was a 5.4. Scared the shit out of me.
According to the earthquake calculator, a 5.4 is almost four times bigger than a 4.8 but releases 8 times as much energy. So yeah, that one you experienced was some serious shit.

The earthquake calculator:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/education/calculator.php

never been in an earthquake. but been IN a tornado. scared the living shit out of 6 year old me.
not sure which I would prefer.......................neither
It seems that living anywhere is a dangerous proposition, for one reason or another and at one time or another. However, insurance rates will identify the places that are riskier to live than the others.

never been in an earthquake. but been IN a tornado. scared the living shit out of 6 year old me.
not sure which I would prefer.......................neither
So, in 1966, in little town Illinois. We had a major tornado. According to my dad, it came down the hill towards our farm. Direct hit. 15 angus cows killed. 3 wagons with grain flipped upside down. Barn, torn down. House, shifted off foundation by 4 feet. We were in the cellar, which required us going outside. I've forever been mortified of storms. Not sure if I have memories or not. I would have been 3 years old.

Here's why you might have felt the New York earthquake in Ontario

https://www.cp24.com/news/here-s-wh...-the-new-york-earthquake-in-ontario-1.6835517

Michal Kolaj, a seismologist with Natural Resources Canada, said it’s “certainly possible” people in Toronto felt the quake. “It would have been very weak shaking,” he added.

Kolaj explained earthquakes in eastern North America travel farther distances than in the west.
That’s a result of the geology in eastern North America, which is older, denser and has had more time to heal, allowing seismic waves to travel further distances. In the west, where the bedrock is younger and more fractured, it absorbs more of the seismic energy.

According to USGC, eastern earthquakes are more of a mystery than in the west, because they don’t take place at a plate boundary. In contrast, eastern Canada is part of the stable interior of the North American Plate.

With the earthquake mere hours in the past, Kolaj said there’s still a possibility of aftershocks, but added that they would be smaller, and even less likely to be felt north of the border.

Yes. Good cover, but I'm pretty sure she's singing over the original beatles guitar track
Paul McCartney: “I think she does a magnificent version of it and it reinforces the civil rights message that inspired me to write the song in the first place,” he wrote on Instagram. The song, retitled “Blackbiird,” is the second track on Bey’s album Cowboy Carter, and features Black country singers Tanner Adell, Brittney Spencer, Tiera Kennedy, and Reyna Roberts. McCartney added in his post that he’d spoken to Beyoncé (over FaceTime) and told her it was a “killer version.”

In 2016, McCartney met two of the members of the Little Rock Nine, “pioneers of the civil rights movement and inspiration for ‘Blackbird.’” “Anything my song and Beyoncé’s fabulous version can do to ease racial tension would be a great thing and makes me very proud.” What we really need to know, however, is if he got the flowers, and what color were they?

https://www.vulture.com/article/paul-mccartney-beyonce-blackbird.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmc...-cover-his-stamp-of-approval/?sh=25f29c6d6767

Back