Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These exclusive rights are subject to a time limit, and generally expire 70 years after the author's death or 95 years after publication.
10-4 QSL and Rodger on that. Maybe someday I will open a YouTube account and upload it there. I used to have an account before Google bought them and they deleted me way back when they were very strict had a short time limit and were in mono, and I had uploaded a video showing the 4 channel separation of my QSD-1 on my Pioneer SD-1100 scope, of an intro in an old Shuggie Otis tune on a CBS CD that lasted about 15 seconds.

I've seen the same Steely Dan live radio shows on several CDs and I've bought the same show twice not knowing I was getting the same thing repackaged, so I thought there was something diffferent about old radio broadcasts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Today is John Fogerty's birthday. So how about some surround sound stuff, John.

Closest I've found...

creedence-cd4.jpg

As I look at my out of control collection, wondering what suggestions you all might have for CD storage. I have two solid walnut shelves I had made back in the late '80s when this "problem" first started to become apparent. I have those two, plus a large media cabinet all full. Now I am reduced to using these cardboard boxes that wild bird suet comes in! Perfect fit. Originally to be temporary but I keep adding mopre CDs and not coming up with any efficient ideas. I keep running out of space. Same thing with a lot of records too. Too many records, not enough space.

Definitely open to any low cost space efficient suggestions!

cdstorage1.jpg

As I look at my out of control collection, wondering what suggestions you all might have for CD storage. I have two solid walnut shelves I had made back in the late '80s when this "problem" first started to become apparent. I have those two, plus a large media cabinet all full. Now I am reduced to using these cardboard boxes that wild bird suet comes in! Perfect fit. Originally to be temporary but I keep adding mopre CDs and not coming up with any efficient ideas. I keep running out of space. Same thing with a lot of records too. Too many records, not enough space.

View attachment 79420

My collection is quite large as well. There are only two choices. Buy more shelving or pull out all the cds that you rarely if ever listen to, rip them all to computer files, and put the cds in long term closet storage.

...As I look at my out of control collection...
First of all, the term "out of control collection" is an oxymoron. Have you ripped them to a hard drive? Most of today's players / AVRs will play stereo from a USB drive. Then you can put the discs into long term storage. (I see that Bill B had posted the same as I was writing this.)

...out of control collection...
Here's a tidbit of information: JP Morgan had two-thirds of his family wealth in collectable books...Gutenberg Bibles, historical artifacts and the like. If it's good enough for Johnny, it's good enough for me!

He also didn't have room to display all this stuff, so he had collections rotated in and out of storage. That's a bit difficult to do with a music collection if one wants access to everything all the time. But once again, USB hard drives come to the rescue.

First of all, the term "out of control collection" is an oxymoron. Have you ripped them to a hard drive? Most of today's players / AVRs will play stereo from a USB drive. Then you can put the discs into long term storage. (I see that Bill B had posted the same as I was writing this.)
I guess I am kind of an outlier with that. I like having the physical media. Plus I've had an HDD fail a time or two. And... I'd rather spend the time listening than ripping! :)

I have an HDD from my DVR* full of TV programs that bit the dust so it makes me a little wary of that situation. Popped in a new 1 TB Western Digital HDD and back in business. I know, backup backup backup. But they use a propriatary file type, .DAV , that doesn't lend itself to any copying or manipulating.

*(DTVPal OTA DVR sold back in 2009-2011 under the Dish and Channel Master names, actually have several for backups. Used ones with a common problem, a few electrolytic capacitors that fail, go cheap on the 'bay. )

But I definitely see your point, Bill and ar. 👍

And... I'd rather spend the time listening than ripping! :)
Consider it a good opportunity to catch up on your reading. I read of few chapters of this book, written by a colleague of mine*, while the computer does its thing ripping to the USB drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Brazil-Brasi...refix=welcome+to+brasil+heiser,aps,367&sr=8-1
*Note: It's a saucy book. He once printed out a draft chapter from his computer at work. He thought that his local printer had malfunctioned when nothing came out. In actuality it went to a network printer in a remote location. One of the other workers found the print out the next morning. The CEO wasn't happy. As he says, this is the book that almost got him fired! LOL

I should start a new thread BUT I don't want to scare away our newer members. I retired after 51 years of work. I worked everyday since 15 when I earned a whopping $1.65 an hour. It has been about 3 months and the last thing I would do is complain about not working. I feel have slipped into into another universe. I used to think, "Is it Saturday or Sunday?" Everyday is Saturday (no f'n... work tomorrow) and when do I take the trash out? Wow, this is surreal.

I should start a new thread BUT I don't want to scare away our newer members. I retired after 51 years of work. I worked everyday since 15 when I earned a whopping $1.65 an hour. It has been about 3 months and the last thing I would do is complain about not working. I feel have slipped into into another universe. I used to think, "Is it Saturday or Sunday?" Everyday is Saturday (no f'n... work tomorrow) and when do I take the trash out? Wow, this is surreal.

I considered getting one of these before I figured out how to keep the days straight. ☺

dayclock1.jpg

Geez you got paid well! I started at $1.25 an hour in '67 sacking groceries! In 2007 I stopped working full time, worked part-time on call from the old boss, and by 2009 I was fully retired. Reason was, I was in consumer electronics repair since around 1977 when things were worth fixing. By the end everything was either cheap enough that people just bought new, or obsolete because some newer technology had taken over. Anyway welcome to retirement! I have so much to do around here now I don't know how I had time to work. You'll get there!

Last edited:
Here's a video I DO own. Took this last October as the monarch butterflies were passing through on their migration south, down at the park a couple of blocks from my house.

Was having to brush them away there were so many on the purple mistflowers.

I changed video to another one taken same day. Looking at it, much better. I need to practice not moving around so quickly because of the way it gets blurred from the lag. Camera was set at the lowest video resolution for smallest file size so I can email to a friend.

(hmm... no audio...on 2nd upload. Is that normal?)

Attachments

• bflygarden1.MOV
    19.2 MB
Last edited:

View attachment 79420
Slowly working on a set of drawers to hold my optical discs. They’ll show up on my build blog once they exist. The general idea is to have the packages sitting on their open edges with the spines showing, three DVDs across and as deep as the drawer will allow. Some will probably get done next month, but my reputation as a fortune-teller is pretty sketchy.

Slowly working on a set of drawers to hold my optical discs. They’ll show up on my build blog once they exist. The general idea is to have the packages sitting on their open edges with the spines showing, three DVDs across and as deep as the drawer will allow. Some will probably get done next month, but my reputation as a fortune-teller is pretty sketchy.
I've been thinking along those lines too. Just haven't found drawers that will hold CDs and not have wasted space because of the depth of the drawers. Of course I haven't been looking too hard either...

I guess I am kind of an outlier with that. I like having the physical media. Plus I've had an HDD fail a time or two.
I use a drobo 5N NAS for my storage, set so that any two drives can fail without data loss. I rip to FLAC so there’s no degradation but I still have the metadata to help me select the music I’m looking for. I also have a full copy on my PC’s hard drive, so I’m pretty well covered in case of hardware failure. And, of course, I keep the original disc for-freaking-ever.

Back