Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like spending the weekend cleaning up your neighbor's tree across your driveway. I think I will deliver them a bill this time. After the hurricane last August, every single tree across my 100 yard driveway belonged to a neighbor. When does it stop? I want to retire. Did I tell you it's over 90* outside? Wowsa I'm whipped and not done yet.
All donations for my whine gratefully accepted. :)

Nothing like spending the weekend cleaning up your neighbor's tree across your driveway. I think I will deliver them a bill this time. After the hurricane last August, every single tree across my 100 yard driveway belonged to a neighbor. When does it stop? I want to retire. Did I tell you it's over 90* outside? Wowsa I'm whipped and not done yet.
I'm friendly with my next door neighbors on both sides, and lucky that I've never had full trees fall from their property onto mine, but I do still have to deal with crap growing and falling/blowing into my yard. Most annoying is a large, tall tree with a wide canopy that overlaps my driveway, which drops endless leaves and—worse—tangly bits of dead stem. It's a constant fight to keep my driveway clear of debris. I could hire an arborist to trim the branches back from my side, but that would only help so much, and it's not like I can ask my neighbor to do anything about it.

Worse than that, I met my back fence neighbor because that fence blew down in a windstorm. Thankfully, he was cool about it, and wanted to build a new fence anyway. I offered to cover up to half the cost, and he declined, preferring to simply "own" it outright. So, silver linings, as now I have a new back fence for free!

I'm friendly with my next door neighbors on both sides, and lucky that I've never had full trees fall from their property onto mine, but I do still have to deal with crap growing and falling/blowing into my yard. Most annoying is a large, tall tree with a wide canopy that overlaps my driveway, which drops endless leaves and—worse—tangly bits of dead stem. It's a constant fight to keep my driveway clear of debris. I could hire an arborist to trim the branches back from my side, but that would only help so much, and it's not like I can ask my neighbor to do anything about it.

Worse than that, I met my back fence neighbor because that fence blew down in a windstorm. Thankfully, he was cool about it, and wanted to build a new fence anyway. I offered to cover up to half the cost, and he declined, preferring to simply "own" it outright. So, silver linings, as now I have a new back fence for free!
I’m sure you can’t leave your car parked in the driveway unless you want a white polka dot paint job.

Sounds like overall you have pretty good neighbors.
When we returned after the hurricane, I spoke to the younger lady next door. I pointed out that I could use some help. The reply I got was well we have a chainsaw but I'm not using it. Nor volunteer any other help. They hardly mow their yard.
We're all on 5 acre plots here, and I'm on good terms with the people in front of me. The rest not so much.

The neighbor also didn’t have to compromise on what fence to buy or contractor to hire, but I get it.

I totally hear you. I was fortunate in having my neighbor take down his dead tree two weeks before a storm would have had land in my yard, potentially also hitting my roof.

Couldn't live in the city if you paid me. I'm about 15 minutes from town...but this County though large in area has only about 16000 residents.
I grew up suburban. At this time in my life—and for the foreseeable future—West Coast urban living is the choice for me. In fact, Portland is small and lacking in diversity for my tastes, but it's where I can afford to live. I love visiting the countryside, which is easy from PDX, but I'd feel culturally starved living out there.

I grew up suburban. At this time in my life—and for the foreseeable future—West Coast urban living is the choice for me. In fact, Portland is small and lacking in diversity for my tastes, but it's where I can afford to live. I love visiting the countryside, which is easy from PDX, but I'd feel culturally starved living out there.
I hear you, JJ. Different strokes and all that. I moved to this region to get away from noise and lack of privacy. My workload on the property can be hard but I love nature. Guess I'll do it until I can't. If that guy Arthuritis would just leave me be....

Bowled at this alley today: 84 lanes! TNBA National Tournament at Stardust Bowl in Addison, IL.
B92B425C-01CB-48F7-93FC-7D8BB10E63CC_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I spent most of my life in Orange County, California. Disneyland was there, but they still had a lot of Orange ans avocado groves. I remember a dairy a couple of blocks from my school, and if the wind wasn’t blowing the right way… Of course, my parents’ home was built in what had recently been an avocado grove, so we were part of the problem, just at an early stage.

I moved to the suburbs of Washington, DC, for a job I thought I could stomach long enough to get a federal pension (missed by THAT MUCH), and had a house with a basement on a lot you could almost say was forested. I referred to it as “barflesylania” and learned how to not pick up leaves. Things weren’t bad, but I was glad when I got the chance to move to a drier, less severe climate near Boise.

Again, my house is built on former farmland, and farms are about a mile away, so it’s not too terribly crowded, although everyone around me likes to leave three to five “porch” lights on all night, so there’s very little stargazing at night. I joke here that people complain about the traffic if they don’t make it through the light on one cycle.

We have two decent orchestras here, an excellent ballet company and a marvellous modern dance company. At least three theater groups, as well. Plenty of culcha!

About the only thing I really have to bitch about is the post office.

Back