Snood need some quick speaker help Looking at Elac B6 2.0 Shelf Speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah its an old Onkyo sub - think its good enough :unsure: - It not the best but sounds fine with my sheeeety speakers now:unsure:

I have a SKW 330 but it is not powered and also I have had an SKW 520 which me plan on using for the setup that is powered and is perfect match black wood just like the Elacs

The 520 looks like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/173352493237

the 330 looks like this https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=3yBGt9kG&id=112C824F6A7555956DB012CB59D9A76D52CAFC3D&thid=OIP.3yBGt9kGiF35EapjVlvNYAHaFj&mediaurl=http://www.netsellsit.com/images/ebay/Onkyo_Sub_001.JPG&exph=480&expw=640&q=onkyo+skw+330+subwoofer&simid=608015905556335029&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

Think the 520 should be fine? ..... Snood hopes :unsure:
As long as it fills the bottom end, should work fine. I went with an HSU sub 11 years ago and it's going strong. Mk3 of this:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

A bit of overkill, but I told my family it's an end table.

Weeeellll Snood broke down and bought the Elac sub 3010 usually 450 on sale half off still at best buy for 225....figured might as well be safe on the low end in more ways than 1. Picking up tomorrow or Sunday 8)

Snood may want to check some of the DIY designs for stands, there is a easy to do 4 inch PVC pipe and plumbing flange version that is Rock solid, with wood top and bottom platforms. Just a trip to Home Depot.šŸ˜Ž

517358d1449736503-diy-monitor-stands-pvc-pipe-2015-03-09-21.22.14.jpg

VERY Kooooo!:QQlove

I just found this thread. I also just ordered the Elac Debut 2.0 set. I got the F6.2 floorstanding speakers for the front, the B6.2 bookshelf speakers for rears, C6.2 center speaker , and a pair of the A4.2 Atmos speakers. What do you think of your set up, Snood?

I was shopping so many different brands of speakers and found so many good ones and the prices just kept creeping up that I started looking at cheaper speakers just for ha ha's. I found the Elac rated very highly compared to speakers costing up to $2000. Obviously that got my attention so I did more research. I was looking to stay in that range and with the Elac I was able to do so. I got 7 speakers for just over $1000.00 so I was happy with the price. I just hope I am happy with the sound. I am upgrading from Polk RTi8s and the accompanying center and bookshelf speakers. They aren't bad, but seem to be missing something to me. Like clearer and cleaner top end. Anyway, I have an Atmos capable receiver and wanted to add that anyway, so Happy Father's Day to me! I have the Acoustic Audio 10" subs to go with these already, so I hope they are a good match, as they were also well rated inexpensive subs.

Hey Blrac -Sorry took so long to get back, lotta stuff going on. šŸ¤Ŗ

Well getting my New system up was one of my things I was saving for when I retired..........which I did 2 weeks ago :LOL:

But I am still in search of the right speaker stands and especially the right center speaker stand. Seems Snood might have to get my center speaker stand special made from these guys https://customspeakerstands.com/

Snood need about a 32 inch center speaker stand - looks like going with a 2 column one might be close to 200 bux :unsure:

But yeah me gots 4 matching and the matching center and sub.....looking forward to getting all the furniture up so me can start getting me system up. Been kind of holding off listening to some stuff due to the fact me wants to listen it to it with these awesome thingys me have and the new system.

Let me know what you think of yours and Snood will def get back to ya with me reviews toooooo :LB

Thanks for the response. Mine are coming Tuesday. I bit the bullet and added a pair of SVS SB-2000 subs as well. I have them with my other system and they are amazing for the price, or almost any price according to reviews. I am looking forward to some more clarity and some Atmos effects. I have about 10 movies and the INXS blu ray to test once I am set up. I know it takes about 200 hours of break in for the speaker from what I gathered from other articles I have read, so it may be some time until I can fully appreciate them, but I suspect the difference with be noticable and enjoyable immediately. I will definitely let you know how it goes and sounds in the near future!

Well I have them up and running. First song I played was through Pandora and was ELO's Mr. Blue Sky. WOW. It sounded amazing! The clarity and detail shown through on this very well done recording. I have my receiver set up to do "fake" surround with Dolby PLII setup, and it nailed this song. It even threw stuff to the Atmos speakers. I couldn't have asked for a better start to my new listening experience. And the speakers are even broken in yet!

However...the next song to play was not so enjoyable. It was Brandy by Looking Glass. Now I love this song. Sounded fine with my old speakers and other places I have heard it. But it was terrible through these speakers. The quality of the original recording isn't phenomenal and these speakers showed that and then some. They were not forgiving at all. What is good is really good and what is bad is really bad. Beware of shoddy music as these speakers will destroy it, at least that has been my experience so far. Maybe they warm up a bit and become more forgiving, but for now they are not. The detail and clarity is wonderful as I said before, but only for well recorded stuff. As I type this I am listening to Billy Paul on SACD surround and it sounds incredible. Great separation, great clarity and detail.

So good news and bad news is how I will surmise this. Good news if you listen to high quality recordings, movies, etc. They are great and what a bargain these speakers were to get what I am hearing. Bad news is it doesn't hide anything. So be weary of less than high quality stuff.

Let me know what you think when you get your system going.

Personally, Iā€™d stay clear of speaker stands made from wood. Wood has poor acoustic properties because it absorbs and stores vibration energy before slowly releasing it and muddying up the sound coming from the speakers. Itā€™s best to use steel because it releases vibrational energy very quickly. Filling the steel tubes or columns with sand or lead shot can help too. :)

As I understand it, Snood was trying his best to steer clear of using sand. On the other hand, I agree that sand would probably work very well.

Sand is fine with Snood or nothing at all - but do need a stand that is about 32 inches tall...........and no metal stands come close. Can only special order the wood one :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, yes I was already on the Pangea Amazon speaker stands and was prob going with those for reg speaker stands

But the 32" center is on the endangered list or something lol

Back