Sony 4 Channel SQ Decoder SQD-2050 : but not shipping outside USA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFET4ever

Damned, this Sony SQD-2050 unit is on my wishlist for a long time, and this one comes in original box with user manual.

I just can't understand why he refuges to ship outside USA (as he states explicitely in the bottom). Like if Hawaii is closer by....

Anyway, does anybody know if these are decent decoders anyway, before spending +$100 ?

Ozzy

Damned, this Sony SQD-2050 unit is on my wishlist for a long time, and this one comes in original box with user manual.

I just can't understand why he refuges to ship outside USA (as he states explicitely in the bottom). Like if Hawaii is closer by....

Anyway, does anybody know if these are decent decoders anyway, before spending +$100 ?

Ozzy

It's only a 'half-logic' front-back decoder - it is not one of Sony's more sophisticated Full Wave-Matching Logic decoders. Center Front to Center Back separation is only 10db and Left Front to Left Back (and same for right side) separation is only 3db. It's not even close to decoding SQ well when compared to Full Logic decoders and as such, isn't worth the price being asked.

Thanks Disclord.

Maybe a good idea here would be to start a thread and list all the SQ decoders by description of their logic: half, full, etc as well as decoding ability. Its possible a particular full logic unit might not work as well as another half logic one.
Also as far as receivers folks would like to know more about the built in sq decoders as well as the different decoder modules (maybe only Marantz offered those?)
Everybody knows about King Tate, but you want to help a newbie avoid chasing down a worthless overpriced decoder leading to disaapointment.

Why that might lead to listening to stereo!!!

Thanks Disclord,

I always thought this model was a full logic decoder; thanks for telling what it really is.

As jefe1 said, it would be a good idea to start a dedicated thread which Sony decoders are what and what their abilities are. I have a growing number of original Sony service manuals for quadraphonic equipment (SQR-4750/6650/6750/8750, SQA-100/200/2030, SQD-1000), I'll buy whatever manuals I can find of Sony's quadraphonic equipment. I could issue a scan of the schematics if somebody would/could assess what their decoding abilities are.

As this thread shows, I was assuming something else then I expected it to be.

Well, he did want too much for that SQD-2050. I got my Like-New-In-the-Box one for less than 40 bucks a few years ago.

The thing is, though, is that this decoder is a very smooth performer and, while it may not have the most wonderful separation everybody seems obssessed with, it is good enough to furnish a very satisfying quadraphonic experience.

The regular matrix section is fine also.

The only thing that is a caveat is they almost all will need some resoldering of the feed-through points on the main board as the connections have cracked over the years and will cause many intermittants. Both of my examples required this but both are fine now after I did that.

I'm just saying that there is really no reason (other than the one I mentioned above) to avoid this decoder if you can find one at a reasonable price. After all, the "Holy Grail" decoders go for prices most of us can't really afford so what should you do? Go without?

Not me.

Doug

I've got a sony SQD-2050 at home and somewhere is the book and manual. i find it sounds quite good for quad, even if the separation is low, the unit itself gives you a good quad experience...and the RM mode QS is quite well done too....
I hardly ever use it anymore, so come to think of it I might put mine on ebay soon if I can find the box and book....

Back