Sony and DSOTM: Did their influence ($$) hurt the HiRez surround market?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you think about it, what was the purpose of surround SACD anyway? :mad:@:[/QUOTE]
Isn't that like asking what the whole purpose to surround sound in general was in the first place? We all share a common affinity for this form of audio reproduction, and both DVD-A and SACD were fully capable of delivering it. In my opinion, DVD-A had the better ability to deliver it to more people by including DD and DTS tracks which could be played on any DVD player. SACD never had that flexibility, and although hybrid discs play in all CD players too, they do so only in stereo. DTS CD's also sound great, but must be decoded. As far as I'm concerned, there were no real losers here, but as it were, no winners, either. Actually, there ARE losers... us!

Hi

Jon one part of your opening salvo mentions "Rolling Stone's Sampler". I was under the impression that even prior to DSOTM the entire Rolling Stone catalogue (which was not identified overtly as having DSD processing) was released under the ABKO moniker and place alphabetically on record shelves in the Rock/Pop sections.

What do those following this thread make of Sony's thinking with that? I think they might have been the first ever SACDs.

Peter M.

petermwilson said:
Hi

Jon one part of your opening salvo mentions "Rolling Stone's Sampler". I was under the impression that even prior to DSOTM the entire Rolling Stone catalogue (which was not identified overtly as having DSD processing) was released under the ABKO moniker and place alphabetically on record shelves in the Rock/Pop sections.

What do those following this thread make of Sony's thinking with that? I think they might have been the first ever SACDs.

Peter M.

Hi Peter,

I was referring to the Rolling Stone Magazine Top 500 Albums Issue sampler SACD that was included free with the magazine. It was the first disc to have a 5.1 Elton John track, among other surround tracks. It was a great way to get SACD out to the masses. I thought it was the first step in getting SACD into the mainstream. However, right after that magazine came out, the second Dylan set of SACDs was cancelled, and most of SONY's popular SACD releases went away.

It was almost like someone inside just figured that enough was enough, and they were pulling the plug.

BTW - It's a great SACD Disc if you can find one.

1. Bob Dylan-Simple Twist of Fate
  2. Pink Floyd-Money
  3. The Who-Pinball Wizard
  4. Herbie Hancock-Watermelon Man
  5. Norah Jones-Come Away With Me
  6. Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  7. Billy Joel-Movin' Out
  8. Miles Davis-Blue in Green
  9. Aerosmith-Sweet Emotion
http://www.prosoundnews.com/stories/2003/october/1022.5.shtml

http://www.avrev.com/news/1003/13.sony.shtml

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?CategoryID=42&ArticleID=7970

Attachments

• RS500Front.jpg
    RS500Front.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 76
JonUrban said:
Hi Peter, I was referring to the Rolling Stone Magazine Top 500 Albums Issue sampler SACD that was included free with the magazine.
...and that was what got me into mch music. i was never into quad (although yes, i am old enough to know better), but i took my rs sampler into circuit city where, as i recall, i could win a complete cheap-o sony sacd system if my rs sampler played a hidden track. it didn't, but when i heard dylan, the who, pink floyd and elton on 5.1, even on the little set-up they had in-store, the lightbulb went off. for me anyway, THAT was one great a marketing campaign.

I wasn't aware of the Rolling Stone SACD promo, and it does sound like a good marketing idea. Just looking at the selection of music available on SACD, it isn't bad now but with so few non-classical releases going forward, it doesn't look promising at all.

Chris

Hi,
Yes Jon, I have the disc and that issue of RS with the 500 which has been my guide of sorts as I started collecting. Quite honestly I had forgotten about many of the albums. Nothing like a new millenium.

The Dylan sacd catalogue was curious as I have a 2ch single dsc as well as a 2 disc mlich version of "Blonde on Blonde" from Columbia.

The Highway 61 and Planet Waves are 2ch with Blood on the Tracks and Slow Train Coming mltich. Their all Hybrids (not sure about the 2ch Blonde its on loan).

They may have released all of the albums both ways, but not where I shopped.

Peter M

petermwilson said:
Hi,
Yes Jon, I have the disc and that issue of RS with the 500 which has been my guide of sorts as I started collecting. Quite honestly I had forgotten about many of the albums. Nothing like a new millenium.

The Dylan sacd catalogue was curious as I have a 2ch single dsc as well as a 2 disc mlich version of "Blonde on Blonde" from Columbia.

The Highway 61 and Planet Waves are 2ch with Blood on the Tracks and Slow Train Coming mltich. Their all Hybrids (not sure about the 2ch Blonde its on loan).

They may have released all of the albums both ways, but not where I shopped.

Peter M

The Bob Dylan - "Blonde on Blonde" was originaly released as single layer stereo. That was when Sony first introduced SACD. They did not release the Hybrid multichannel version until they remastered the Dylan catalog. I'm guessing, but I think there was about two or maybe even three years in between the two releases. Until the remastered series came out, I think BOB was the only Dylan title on SACD.

Back