Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for the SACD experts: is there some rule that the volume of an SACD can never exceed -20 dB? I've ripped about 5 discs now and none of them pass that threshold. I just happened to notice that and thought it was interesting.

Also, I have one disc that keeps crashing the sacd_extract program: Blue Oyster Cult's Agents Of Fortune. Anyone else have problems with that one?

Question for the SACD experts: is there some rule that the volume of an SACD can never exceed -20 dB? I've ripped about 5 discs now and none of them pass that threshold. I just happened to notice that and thought it was interesting.

Also, I have one disc that keeps crashing the sacd_extract program: Blue Oyster Cult's Agents Of Fortune. Anyone else have problems with that one?

Don't know about the volume limitation or Agents of Fortune (don't have it), but I just ran across one of recent purchases I've tried ripping a couple times and it chokes:
https://www.discogs.com/Ensemble-LO...l-Fasch-Telemann-Händel-Fasch/release/5494474
So I guess there are some that are little bastards.

I just ripped Agents of Fortune (2001) and it worked fine for me. It was in my collection but hadn't ripped it yet. I checked it on my Oppo205 and it played back terrific. I don't have a means to measure the volume limits (need some instructions I guess).

I had only one problem disk that I can remember -- LAGQ Spin. It would start slowing it's transfer speed about 1/2 way into the rip and continue to get slower, and slower, and slower....never finished. I need to try it again.

Note that I'm using -- Sony S5100, iMac 10.13.6 High Sierra, java 8 update 201, Ethernet, SACDextract-MACOS-V0.3.9, QNAP NAS.

I just ripped Agents of Fortune (2001) and it worked fine for me. It was in my collection but hadn't ripped it yet. I checked it on my Oppo205 and it played back terrific. I don't have a means to measure the volume limits (need some instructions I guess).

I had only one problem disk that I can remember -- LAGQ Spin. It would start slowing it's transfer speed about 1/2 way into the rip and continue to get slower, and slower, and slower....never finished. I need to try it again.

Note that I'm using -- Sony S5100, iMac 10.13.6 High Sierra, java 8 update 201, Ethernet, SACDextract-MACOS-V0.3.9, QNAP NAS.
I'm using the same Sony player, but had no problems with the LAGQ, but there was another title (sorry don't remember) that did a similar thing in slowing to a crawl the further along it went. Thought something went wrong with my network; but put the next disc in and it was transferring in the typical speed of I believe ~3.37 Mpbs.

I have no idea about the -20dB issue. I have not noticed any anomalies with playing dsf files on the Oppo 205 compared to flac, alac, etc.

I ripped Agents Of Fortune and all of my 100+ SACD disc collection using the Sony S5100 and sacd_extract 3.9 without any of them crashing.

is there some rule that the volume of an SACD can never exceed -20 dB

I've not encountered that on playing dsf files from SACD. I don't have a program that can open them up to look at the waveform though - it just sounds like it's at the correct volume... I have noticed that if you convert from DSD to PCM the volume will be a bit lower then on the original file though...

This thread gave me a couple of answers...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...onverting-dsd-files-to-flac.26165/post-415017
Not got that BOC disc to check but sometimes I get discs that won't show up. I'm using the older PS3 technique however. When it doesn't take the only way I've found to get things back on track is to try a cd first, do a little prayer 🙏 and go back. It usually works - touch head! 😬

There is no such rule limiting them to -20 dBFS, though most SACDs appear to be mastered at lower signal levels (thus reducing overall max achievable SNR due to poor loading of bits). This is most likely due to mastering engineers wanting to avoid reaching signal levels anywhere close to 0 dBFS where instabilities can arise in the decoding of DSD. ~20 dB gives plenty of margin. This is just another one of those wonderful idiosynchrasies of the DSD format. With this, in practicality I doubt DSD gives you significantly more SNR/ dynamic range than achievable with plain old 44.1/16 red book format.

No experience with your particular disc, but perhaps the disc is unreadable in those areas and hence causes crashing or maybe it is mastered high ? These are just wild guesses.

Okay, here's a weird issue. I swear I'm not making this up. I've ripped two Sony Japan titles (Bitches Brew and Beck, Bogert & Appice) and the ripped files from both have this horrible high frequency tone in the background. It sounds almost like the television color bar tone. Has anyone else experienced this or am I losing my mind? My rips from US Sony and DV titles have no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
Okay, here's a weird issue. I swear I'm not making this up. I've ripped two Sony Japan titles (Bitches Brew and Beck, Bogert & Appice) and the ripped files from both have this horrible high frequency tone in the background. It sounds almost like the television color bar tone. Has anyone else experienced this or am I losing my mind? My rips from US Sony and DV titles have no issues whatsoever.
Haven't heard any of that yet, but I haven't tried ripping any of the Japanese 7" SACDs. I've still got to break into "The Jeff Beck Group", but as soon as I do (Hopefully soon!) I'll try ripping it and report back:)

Just got done listening to 7" Japan SACD of Jeff Beck Group and what a revelation it was to hear. However that will have to wait until my review on the Poll!

I also ripped it with the SACDExtractGUI.jar program and played it back through my Oppo 205, and it went as clean as a whistle. Sounds great; don't know which program or Unit you're using, but with my Sony S5100 I had no problems. I'm also including a PrtScn of the rip so you can see my settings. (I did erase my server address though.) Machine is a Win. 7 Pro. with latest Java installed.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm using the exact same combo as you: S5100 player with The SACD_Extract GUI. Same settings too. Maybe I need to update the GUI? It's the weirdest issue...the files play perfectly, but with a high-pitched hum. For now I'm ripping everything else and leaving my five Sony Japan discs for last.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm using the exact same combo as you: S5100 player with The SACD_Extract GUI. Same settings too. Maybe I need to update the GUI? It's the weirdest issue...the files play perfectly, but with a high-pitched hum. For now I'm ripping everything else and leaving my five Sony Japan discs for last.
I assume you've tried other SACDs to make sure It's not something else in your equipment chain? Also, I don't have those same SACDs as yours!

I assume you've tried other SACDs to make sure It's not something else in your equipment chain? Also, I don't have those same SACDs as yours!

Yep, I've ripped 18 discs now (1 Analogue Productions, 1 Universal, 1 AF, 2 Sony Japan, 14 Sony US/Columbia) and only the Sony Japan ones exhibit this problem. Glad you're enjoying the Jeff Beck disc, BTW!

Almost sounds like some sort of interference problem, like a cable gone bad or something?

I only had two discs that would not rip. Cecila Bartoli 'Gluck Italian Arias' and Bjork 'Vespertine'. I noticed that both discs had non standard (in English) characters in the text embedded in the title on the disc (perhaps a copy-guard ploy ???) . I don't know if 'Vespertine' had Icelandic in the text, but the Bartoli had some really weird characters in the script. "Kind Of Blue' seemed to take a month to rip, but it did. I was using sacdextract and a Sony S-5100. I ripped 100+ discs both stereo and multichannel. I was greatful that sacdextract was able to rip the track info from all of the discs but a few (mostly some of the early Sony discs) had used all UPPER case in the text. I guess there was no standard for SA-CD track labeling at first. Oh well. All the track volumes seem OK to me, in fact there seems to be far less variance in track volume from disc to disc when I play the .dsf files on a USB hard drive in shuffle mode than there is with .wav CD tracks.

Last edited:
Says unable to open. I have the right address but how do I know what port to use? Tried 2002. Looked into router and says player is connected. I do the ping test and says ok but the test button says port 2002 of address is inaccessible.

Back