Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clement, you need this album. It is simply spectacular!!! I cannot recommend it enough. Lovely....
I'll send you my address 😜
I'll look it up on discogs now . . . plenty of room in the ol' shopping cart!
EDIT: scored a NM for $4.75! Can't wait!
Thanks for the head's up!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GOS
Switching to reggae to ease into my day the Rastafarian way
B4D26097-F54A-4CD0-BD1E-B394FC373B9F_1_105_c.jpeg
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man

Steely Dan. Aja.

A smooth end to a rough week 🍺 🪴 🎶
An excellent record.

I got the original and the MSFL.

All of Steely Dan is really good tunes with excellent craftsmanship.

A few months ago I upgraded to a DIY Pass Pearl 2 preamp with all kinds of crazy uber components and a custom rear panel with adjustable controls of gain, capacitance and resistance. The previous preamp -in my preamp- is a tube job with teflon caps... so that one is excellent but the new FET unit is far quieter while maintaining the sweetness of the tubes.

Yes, good sounds.

BTW, I hope you all are wet vacuuming your LPs. It also makes a HUGE difference.

An excellent record.

I got the original and the MSFL.

All of Steely Dan is really good tunes with excellent craftsmanship.

A few months ago I upgraded to a DIY Pass Pearl 2 preamp with all kinds of crazy uber components and a custom rear panel with adjustable controls of gain, capacitance and resistance. The previous preamp -in my preamp- is a tube job with teflon caps... so that one is excellent but the new FET unit is far quieter while maintaining the sweetness of the tubes.

Yes, good sounds.

BTW, I hope you all are wet vacuuming your LPs. It also makes a HUGE difference.
Do you have a recommended wet vac?

As for me I've tried them all, the only way to getting them top to bottom of the grove is ultra sonic
but the home brew versions aren't very good if at all. I can tell you this, one will not hear the full potential
of what's in those groves even on a brand new sealed record unless it's been sonic cleaned with a surfactant
Without spending huge money the Kirmuss is a good one (ignore the owners doctor's weirdness)
Do not air dry or wipe dry, vacuum dry, do not return disc to the LP's inner jacket.

It's a huge amount of work but it has great rewards

you can buy surfactant very cheap, the Kirmuss bottle is insanely over priced

I've owned the VPI 16.5 for over 20 years.... I did notice they are 1000 bucks now!

There are cheaper versions though. But mine has worked fine all of this years... knock on wood. The VPI is not necessarily the best of the best but it will definitely ensure your records are not destroyed by dust and crud, and you can really hear the difference.

I'm thinking of an ultrasonic thing... some sort of a DIY. But, once you got the wet vac and your records are safe, the best investment will be to upgrade the turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phono preamp in that order... Once you've done that, then go back to the cleaning machine.

In any case, the cleaning machine should really be the very first upgrade to a turntable because that will save your records from wear and tear.

Looking at the posted pictures, I'd recommend looking into Hifishark.com for a used Linn LP12, post Valhalla with an Ittok tonearm. Get an entry level MM cartridge.... and eventually find a good phono preamp... so then you can upgrade to a MC.

Naturally, you gotta put your priorities right. I mean, if you only have 100 records then you're likely better off investing on something to stream digital sources the likes of Tidal HiFi, their masters sound really good! There are other HiRez streaming services, like Kobuz, but I haven't signed up for them... yet.

But, if you're sitting on thousands of LPs...:):) well, you likely have been building the analog side for eons so it becomes an incremental cost. :sneaky:

Oh, I recently picked up the Alan Parsons Eye In The Sky MoFi, 45RPM.

1676143800909.png

Last edited:
I have always used dishwasher liquid with water rinse on dirty records. Rinse. Lather with a clean sponge rinse off
Careful not to soak the paper record labels only downside. I suppose a cleaning machine will protect the labels better
I understand the shopping cart crowd use piss and allow the Chicago wind to blow it thru the grooves and dry. There may be a lingering smell but it's not noticeable outside
Your results may vary depending upon what you drank the night before.

Man, oh, MAN! I have to be careful before reading your posts – my incontinent self cleaned a couple of LPs (yup, i put the P into LP) upon reading the above. Well, it is a windy day here, so lemme head outside to dry these slabs!

Back