Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some ridiculously quiet vinyl from Japan...WITH the funky OBI (mine is not in shrink , though)... a steal at $7...
R-11797685-1522564414-7569.jpeg.jpg

I'll be joining in with you cats (a few hundred old LPs) as soon as this little unit arrives...
https://www.technics.com/us/products/dj-series/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200mk7.html
You da man!!!!
Technics are great...

I am still in awe on how great these TTs from the 80s still hold up....

I have said it before .. I SWORE off normal TTs with normal tonearms when my Technics SL-Q2 (YES, I BLAME the TT cause I would have never done it!!!) created an unplayable gash on my MFSL PF DSOTM pressing (on "Brain Damage"!!!)...
that was about 30+ years ago but I can hold a grudge for the rest of my life....
So when I came across these works of art that are the Technics "Tangential/Linear Tracking" TTs I joined the ranks of its users...

I really can´t find ANY fault on these "early" Linears... even when I have to "venture" into maintenance all by meself...well, ESPECIALLY.... inner groove distortion is REDUCED ; not eliminated because it´s part of the LP but it sounds extremely sweet...my SL-QL1 goes all the way up to 35K and I always say that I have spent more on the stylus (about 300 EUR) than on the TT itself (60 EUR for the ones in Madrid and about $160 for the one here)

holy sheet Batman...
I have a couple of US pressings of this but I am hearing this like never before...one of my fave 'Smith LP... if not my fave EVAH!!!!
R-2352306-1410941190-6968.jpeg.jpg
this pressing has so much more detail than any US pressing!
And this is not a "subtle mix" kind of album...
I am wondering if the Japanese actually mastered this (and others) at a lower volume cause all the versions I heard of this, even on CD, sound extremely loud and over compressed...

el "penúltimo" de la noche...
I am getting a VERY expensive trend from my first time appreciating the japanese pressings haul from a few weeks ago.... I knew japanese pressings were superior ( I had Duran Duran's "Rio", "Yesshows" and a couple more but my system back then was not as good as it is now so I could not fully appreciate the difference) but I had no idea how much cleaner and clearer they are compared to the US pressings...

This Bee Gees Greatest pressing, even though it´s not nearly as quiet as the Boz Scaggs "Slow Dancer" one, has so much more presence and clarity than any other way I have heard these songs before. They sound like they are first generation copies with way more detail than anything ever....CDs don´t come even close.

It is indeed a revelation.

I say they used lower volume while doing the mothers and...better gear???? Maybe...why not?...oh and probably way less illegal substances-if any- running thru the engineers' bloodstream than in the USA...

RSO was Polydor in Japan...I think Polydor ran a tight ship over there---

SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE...and for less than $9...yes! (no OBI on mine though...sleeve has a lot of paper acid stains too but I don´t care...)
R-3568021-1335614726.jpeg.jpg

(Beyond) Crappy USA Pressing!!!! The nadir of my collection...glue from the label probably spilled into the last song cause the noise is just ridiculous...have NEVER encountered a good US pressing of this..and I have had about 3 different ones...
R-8243070-1457817619-9078.jpeg.jpg

Excellent Dutch pressing...sounds like one of the first ones! Had NEVER listened to this album...interesting!!!!
Looks like an unplayed disc...
R-1287494-1393414444-3290.jpeg.jpg

and a spectacular sounding LP...1989...Mac is definitely like pizza..but usually Mac is way more consistent than pizza...pressing was probably played twice before...
R-1982904-1591443672-4655.jpeg.jpg

Back