Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20211121_174445.jpg

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter. 1970.
Absolutely stunning album, from a fragile soul. Joe Boyd's production is perfect. Guest players include Fairport Convention and John Cale.

OK, now you have me curious. How can one acquire a RL copy of these?
There are entire threads discussing RL pressings of LZ II over at SHF. It is known to have prodigious amounts of bass. The reason they stopped pressing it, as the story goes, is that there was so much bass, in 1969, it made Atlantic Records' Ahmet Ertegun's daughter's record player skip too much, so he asked for it to be re-cut with less bass. Therefore, the "offending" RL cut was only a limited run, and they are very rare and finding a clean copy is next to impossible. Prepare to pay hundreds if you really want one. Or do as I did, be happy with the currently-pressed version you can find just about anywhere, which is still very very good (to me at least).

German pressing BEST VINYL MMT by far. Everything on side 2 is real stereo. Baby, You're a Rich Man here is a revelation. Bass is incredible compared to other "stereo LP" pressings. No booklet, though. Even the MoFi half speed isn't real stereo on BYARM. The MoFi cassette is real estereo.

LP spins last couple of days:

Sounds Like...Herb Alpert & TJB mono sealed 1st spin, bought CD & 2ch LP when issued
Beatles VI 2ch last US pressing
Revolver MoFi 1/2 speed from Beatles Collection
Trumpet Concertos - Maurice Andre (Philips 6570 072)
Mountain in the Clouds - Miroslav Vitous

https://www.discogs.com/release/17313928-Miroslav-Vitous-Mountain-In-The-Clouds

OK, now you have me curious. How can one acquire a RL copy of these?

I was fortunate enough to get mine right before the great vinyl comeback. I simply DM'd sellers on eBay and asked them if they would look for the RL in the deadwax.

One other sign is the RL pressings have very small deadwax areas. So, if you're looking on sites like eBay, and you see a tiny deadwax area, especially on Side 2, this is another sign.

Unfortunately, many sellers are listing RL cuts for absurd prices. Like $3k for one in VG condition. Not worth it. Both of mine are VG, but they do sound great.

I have a german pressing of LZ II that has RL on one side but not the other, pretty clean too.
Didn't know any better till I saw all the hub-bub. I went and looked at mine and just got lucky.

I have a German with RL on one side, also. As far as I know there are no German pressings with RL on both sides, oddly enough.

Unfortunately, many sellers are listing RL cuts for absurd prices. Like $3k for one in VG condition. Not worth it. Both of mine are VG, but they do sound great.

if your really wanting a Zep 2 go with the classic records pressing , RL or classic records are the ones, all other versions are very inferior
Personally I like the classic record due to the very high quality vinyl used

Really, most pressings of that album, except for the MoFi, sound pretty good. I think George Piros mastered most of the copies from the 70's. Those are EVERYWHERE. He's not too shabby a mastering engineer. The Classic is probably getting up there in price.

Last edited:
Back