static buildup in my 4-channel rca jacks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w.a.reid

500 Club - QQ All-Star
happy holidays to all i hope.

i have a QUADBOB Sansui QRX-9001. as a part of his rebuild he installs a 4-channel output and, of course, a 4-channel input so that if 50 or 60 watts per channel were not enough you can carry the 4-channel output to your own amps and then what? blow your head off with power - 50 to 60 watts per channel is too much anyways - - but i am sure there are recording needs of some that this would be useful for - but that aint me.

heres the deal, i was kind of surprised at how close the RCA jacks are on the plate that QuadBOB installs. and further, that i had to supply my own RCA jacks to jump from output to input (for $2200 you'd think you wouldnt have to run to the Shack to buy 2 stereo sets of RCA jacks - but i did) i had no sound in one channel and when rearranging the jacks i realized i really did have one faulty set (thanks Shack).

so i went to car-toys and bought the fattest 4-channel set of quad jacks - made by "monster" - this set cost a lot - $30 to $40 - when i installed these - PERFECTION! THEY CAME WITH A BARE COPPER WIRE THAT I ASSOCIATED WITH MY PHONO PLAYERS rca CONNECTORS (OUCH - all caps - i hate that) as a grounding wire - so i did the same with this set - i sent the bare copper wire to the grounding lug on the receiver ....is that what i was supposed to do?
(link to the site showing the cables, basically.)
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=2936

all has been fine - kind of - i did put some posts out there on the Sansui forum and here too about an occasional crackle that i could see in the "left-rear" power meter - only could hear it when the receiver was on, but not playing anything - and only on occasion - so i wasnt bothered. but more recently, the crackle started up again. for some reason i decided to reach behind the receiver and just brushed my hands along the RCA connections mentioned earlier - was very surprised at all the crackle and loud crispy pops i heard - and actually rather loud - but the more i brushe my fingers along the jacks the less it happened - and when i stopped, the static sound was gone from the speakers. yippee.:sun

is this static buildup? or is this an application of an old rule of "more aint better"? the monster cables heads are NOT rubber coated - they are big fat metal...uh...jacks - you know, not covered in rubber/plastic - - and are really close to each other....REALLY CLOSE.

IS this my problem - too close? :confused:

or not grounded correctly?:confused:

i have been considering sending the receiver to Chris Ready in PA to get in there and take that whole situation out of there - it seems to be a source of annoyance - and i am not going to do anything with pre-amp outputs anyways.

got an opinion? share it with me.

happy quad days to all - thanks for taking the time to read the post - brevity is not a trait i practice.:mad:@:

w.a. reid
:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

Back