Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest that the demand has only become high because of the great reviews the music is getting, only people weren't willing to pay for the extra packaging up front for 2 reasons:

The music was completely unheard
It wasn't clear what the book would be

Now that these things are clear, people all of the sudden want it. Sometimes people just have to have a little faith. Yes, we will sometimes get burned by buying such an edition, but there are also times like these when the extra cash is definitely worth it.
All we had to do was trust our brother "Neil" as he promised us all that this effort was going to be well worth the investment.

Thanks Neil, I listened!

I've been listening to the mp3's that came with my pre-order of the dvd-audio. A stunning album, can't stop listening to it. I can't wait to hear it in surround!!!!

There is a very easy familiarity to this music, it lets you settle right in on the first listen. Everything seems just like you expect it to be. There are atmospheric parts where the mind starts to wander and then it changes and recaptures your attention, right on cue, just as your mind starts wondering what happened to the music and if it is still playing. I'm not sure if that's because it's SW and we're familiar with him or if he's hit upon some universal rhythm and melodic structure. So far I really like it, but I do wonder if it lacks a challenging aspect that would make it an interesting 20th (or 100th) listen. So far I don't think it matches the later PT discs, but I think it's far better than any of the other (non-PT) projects that SW has done. So, it seems that my righteous indignation/temporary insanity over not getting a copy was well over done for this disc. So again, my apologies. I thought I'd missed out on something truly amazing, but I think it's more like I've been delayed 3 months from something quite good.

There is a very easy familiarity to this music, it lets you settle right in on the first listen. Everything seems just like you expect it to be. There are atmospheric parts where the mind starts to wander and then it changes and recaptures your attention, right on cue, just as your mind starts wondering what happened to the music and if it is still playing. I'm not sure if that's because it's SW and we're familiar with him or if he's hit upon some universal rhythm and melodic structure. So far I really like it, but I do wonder if it lacks a challenging aspect that would make it an interesting 20th (or 100th) listen. So far I don't think it matches the later PT discs, but I think it's far better than any of the other (non-PT) projects that SW has done. So, it seems that my righteous indignation/temporary insanity over not getting a copy was well over done for this disc. So again, my apologies. I thought I'd missed out on something truly amazing, but I think it's more like I've been delayed 3 months from something quite good.

Though I think it's inevitable, it seems unfair IMO to compare it against his other projects; they all serve separate purposes.

The big difference between them is that this project (we'll leave Bass Communion out of the conversation as it's simply too different) is the only one which is solely SW's musical vision. Not since the very early days of Porcupine Tree have we gotten something that isn't collaborative in nearly every respect. PT is certainly a collaborative effort, No-Man is collaborative, Blackfield is collaborative. Perhaps Steve truly shines when he has others around to act as a filter or with whom to compare notes. Or perhaps your aesthetic tastes simply don't like the vein from which he drew this project.

Though I might agree that I don't like it as much as PT, I find that I am talking about my aesthetic tastes, and not necessarily about the musical product that he has produced which I think is nothing short of amazing. He uses the dynamic range in ways that even PT doesn't approach, and certainly travels in musical directions that aren't meant for PT.

Don't get me wrong, I like this disc. But, I think it is a bit 'ambient' for my tastes. I'm sure that's what he was going for and in that vein it's extremely well done.

Been away for a while, but just wanted to let you know that I've received my replacement copy of the Limited Edition, which Burning Shed now packs in a double cardboard box with plastic bubbles between them. Needless to say, it arrived in pristine condition this time! Excellent post-sale service.

Sidebar, I mentioned this album to my best friend who spent a few weeks in Mexico City recently. I mentioned the title and the shot of the traffic sign with Insurgentes. He said "Oh yes, major street there, goes on forever, the 'g' is silent there."

I just got back from vacation and found a box from Burning Shed sitting on my desk. My replacement copy of Insurgentes was packaged very well this time, and despite considerable damage to the outer box, the book is absolutely pristine. Thank you Burning Shed for coming through for me. I'm one happy camper now!

Well that's good to hear that people that got damaged books are getting them replaced, that's good service by Burning Shed.

I look forward myself in hearing this title when the cd\dvda comes out.

peter

This album continues to grow in stature with me and the pleaseant surprises are stll happening somewhat. Some personal observations on tracks 1-5 for now:

track 1: SW hits you with one of the most melodic tunes he's ever done; the frenetic crunchy guitar segments sound like he is channeling Levitation - Need For Not (another old favorite). If there was a song to be a single and represent the album (as obviously done in the trailers), this is it.

track 2: I am not as familiar with kraut rock (German prog) as I should be, but the addition of the noise as additional texture is surely homage to or permission from these key influences. SW's mastery of dynamic range is as effective as his sense of composition (power of minors/majors, how to resolve, when not to resolve)

track 3: First sound reminds you of In The Wake Of Poseidon. Then the ominous bass undertow takes over; I think is the solitary tie to Wish You Were Here; this steady key and it's 3rd above repeating also begins to take on John Paul Jones' 8 string tone (Ibanez bass listed maybe octave pedal). Just a gorgeous slab of rock. The strings hang onto a forlorn minor forever and just when you think that's it he puts it right and resolves. Tragedy and majesty embraced as equal opportunity.

track 4: Brooding and mysterious, new timbres appear from the rear channels in the form of horns. He's not afraid to let the bass note and it's 5th above ring our together which on a good system is quite unique and new to most ears. He intones "...poison for faeries..." in a manner you take in as absolute fact.

track 5: Starts with jazzy bass & drums drill, while the guitar sounds like Bill Frissell channeling Allan Holdsworth on animal tranqualizer. Some of the wildest guitar scribble ever let loose by SW on or off the stage. And oddly every bit of it makes sense to me. The riff pushing this tune is like 1/2 of the heavy Blackest Eyes riff. Now it's jazz poetry nearly whispered until it's time to up the stakes again. After a loud bout, SW shows no fear in taking us up the bass neck and soloing with it and then adding some ascending piano from the rear channels to compliment the path now being weaved. We wander off now thinking the coast is clean and then the pummeling returns full force until the power is cut.

Stream of Consciousness Review will continue with tracks 6-10 and then the bonus tracks....

Last edited:
Insurgentes by Steve Wilson

Back from the movies with my elder son, now thoughts about the rest of the album

track 6 Entrancing song, very melodic, sweetly sung and then the wonderfully circirular guitar riff that restarts itself. He keeps adding layers of sheed to this riff until it is a pleasant storm. You realize what an agile bass player Steven is as it alternates between thunder (may be some KB bass in there at times?) and soaring with the angels in this unforgiving landscape where the war is about to sweep across the land. Then it suddenly nearly silent save for a glockenspiel quietly repeated this motif for a few bars and then resolves itself. The steady building of the circular riff and the quiet refrain both remind me of Steve Hackett's excellent 'Shadow of the Hierophant' (1975 Voyage of the Acolyte).

track 7 Loping chordal bass and drums provide a sinewy framework for SW's direct voice in the center channel, atmospheric guitars careen into the room from the rear channels just like they're supposed to. Piano octaves arrive in lockstep to make sure you know what's taking place. The tale of isolation told, the drums are left to end the story.

track 8 Putting you on notice, the world is beautiful and foreboding at the same time. Puzzling what it's all about. The instruments are collaborating to deliver the story without spoken words. It only comes around once, but there it is again. Imagine the psychological thriller this work would provide underpinning for.

track 9 Delicate piano and wistful spoken instructions on how to feel and in what context. Going around again, this time with the shimmer of guitar-snarl as the voices come in from the back and fuzz bass becomes evident as the angst involved in the storyline. Drums arrive to remove any question. Lives are going inside out, motivations exposed and questioned. Screeching fury of the forces leaving the room intact.

track 10 Plaintive piano based closer as SW is known to favor; this one seems wiser from world travels. The nylon string guitar provides punchy counterpoint. Optimism even in the darkness, opportunity in the risks that present themselves.

How Steve Wilson found the time to develop and nurture such a huge record is beyond me but happily he did. For the first time he has released an album of songs that didn't conform to any particular band's palette or agenda. No segmenting his creativity, saving this one for No-Man or that one Blackfield, no pidgeonholing as pure PT, he is letting rip with his entire being here and it works splendidly. It will be interesting how this informs future work.

Oh yeah, and I got this big bitchin' book too.

Back with the non-lp tracks later....

Last edited:

Back from the movies with my elder son, now thoughts about the rest of the album

Tim, thanks for your detailed thoughts and descriptions of S.W. songs. This sure sounds like a awesome release and I can't wait to hear it in the New Year. I'm sure glad that S.W. puts his stuff out in surround and in Dvd Audio so that we can hear it best possible sound.

peter

Last edited:

track 6 Entrancing song, very melodic, sweetly sung and then the wonderfully circirular guitar riff that restarts itself. He keeps adding layers of sheed to this riff until it is a pleasant storm. You realize what an agile bass player Steven is as it alternates between thunder (may be some KB bass in there at times?) and soaring with the angels in this unforgiving landscape where the war is about to sweep across the land. Then it suddenly nearly silent save for a glockenspiel quietly repeated this motif for a few bars and then resolves itself. The steady building of the circular riff and the quiet refrain both remind me of Steve Hackett's excellent 'Shadow of the Hierophant' (1975 Voyage of the Acolyte).

Back with the non-lp tracks later....

Tony Levin plays bass on track 6 (and probably most of the others as well). Dude rules on the bass.

Last edited by a moderator:
By jove that's right. Thanks for the correction/reminder. Sw is certainly good throughout but this explains the telepathic and supportive empathy in this track. I looked at the credits in the book only once until now.

Witnessed his magic with PG & KC four times each. Black Light Syndrome & Joan Armatrading sessions also come to mind.

Last edited:
By jove that's right. Thanks for the correction/reminder. Sw is certainly good throughout but this explains the telepathic and supportive empathy in this track. I looked at the credits in the book only once until now.

Witnessed his magic with PG & KC four times each. Black Light Syndrome & Joan Armatrading sessions also come to mind.

Liquid Tension Experiment as well. It's comprised mostly of current Dream theater members (Portnoy, Petrucci, Rudess), but Rudess wasn't a DT member when they recorded LTE. No vocals, and the entire album was written, arranged, and recorded in about 2 weeks, but it is quite something to hear. I think (but don't quote me) he plays (or has played) live for Peter Gabriel (and a slew of others - his Allmusic.com resume is crazy).

I have the LTE albums as well, Paul Simon, The Roches, Robert Fripp, etc.

Saw Tony with Peter Gabriel (PG above) in 1978, 1989, 1983 & 1986. Crimson 1981, 1982, 1984 & 2008

Well that's good to hear that people that got damaged books are getting them replaced, that's good service by Burning Shed.
I agree that's good, but that's a bit pushing the envelop when you know there are people like me who are still waiting for their copy (although shipped on Nov.20th), and Burning Shed keeps telling me to "wait" (although I'm the last French guy who did not get it yet), and even questions the fact they would send me a replacement copy since I did not choose the insured option (and as previously noted here by another member, the shipping costs were so steep that there was no way I would pay extra shipping costs).

I've ordered a lot from Burning Shed and got excellent service until then. I also get promo copies of PT's regular releases because of my music review activities, and I've always bought at my own expense the DVD-A's because I wanted to review the full thing. I would never have bugged Burning Shed with that, I'm 100% supportive of Steven's various works.

Now, if some people get replacement copies because of a very minor bend, Burning Shed would better be consistent and replace lost copies first... I'd be more than happy to even have the copy which was pictured earlier in that thread.

I do hope there will be a positive ending but Burning Shed's last messages were a real shock, especially given the voluntary promotion I've been giving for years.

I agree that's good, but that's a bit pushing the envelop when you know there are people like me who are still waiting for their copy (although shipped on Nov.20th), and Burning Shed keeps telling me to "wait" (although I'm the last French guy who did not get it yet), and even questions the fact they would send me a replacement copy since I did not choose the insured option (and as previously noted here by another member, the shipping costs were so steep that there was no way I would pay extra shipping costs).

I've ordered a lot from Burning Shed and got excellent service until then. I also get promo copies of PT's regular releases because of my music review activities, and I've always bought at my own expense the DVD-A's because I wanted to review the full thing. I would never have bugged Burning Shed with that, I'm 100% supportive of Steven's various works.

Now, if some people get replacement copies because of a very minor bend, Burning Shed would better be consistent and replace lost copies first... I'd be more than happy to even have the copy which was pictured earlier in that thread.

I do hope there will be a positive ending but Burning Shed's last messages were a real shock, especially given the voluntary promotion I've been giving for years.

All that said, France is one of the specific nations mentioned by Burning Shed when suggesting Postal Insurance.

I'd suggest that you'd be lucky to get a replacement if it was indeed lost in the post. And, since they forewarned you, they'd be in the right.

Back