Stirring Up 5.1 On Led Zeppelin Forum

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
My first post on the Led Zeppelin forum:
http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showforum=3

[quote name='Darth Zoso' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:51 PM' post='12022']
40th Anniversary Remasters? I think so! Mothership is probably a "sampler" of what we'll get next year.
[/quote]

Methinks Kevin Shirley has already done the updated EDIT: mixing deed already.

The killer question is will we actually get the 5.1 high resolution surround mixes that this classic music deserves? Atlantic (Rhino actually) has gone limp on DVD-Audio but it's still out there to be used!

If The Beatles can do it (Love DVD-A),
If The Doors can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Genesis can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),
If The Moody Blues can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),
If Talking Heads can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Seal can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Porcupine Tree can do it (later studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A and issuing more)

I submit there is no reason this great band's classic catalog deserves anything less.

Just tell us where to send the cash. Tell the limo driver I gotta take a leak. 'scuse me babe.....

Last edited:
And so it begins, the battle of the moderators. In this corner, weighing in at ... :D

Sorry.....details like this make me kookoo. Caveman does all the mixing for Zep, but mastering falls under a totally different category. John Davis did Mothership, and I think Bob Ludwig just did The Song Remains The Same cd. Of course George Marino did the last remasters....with Barry Diament and another fellow doing the original cd's.

The Holy Grail is the Bob Ludwig mastered LED ZEP II vinyl. Have not heard it, but it's supposed to be scary good!

Kevin isn't a mastering engineer.

Forgive my imprecision; the point was to make some positive noise over there to get what we want. :confused:

His name was mentioned in regards to Led Zeppelin DVD, How The West Was Won, probable involvement with the most recent releases though I haven't seen them to look at the credits. He has received a lot of credit for the great work on the DVD.

So if it's not George Marino - Sterling sound who mastered the CD re-issues with Jimmy Page and it's not Kevin Shirley overseeing the mixes (but maybe not the final mastering phase itself), then who?

What say you, semi-friendly moderator? (tongue approaching cheek)

Forgive my imprecision; the point was to make some positive noise over there to get what we want. :confused:

His name was mentioned in regards to Led Zeppelin DVD, How The West Was Won, probable involvement with the most recent releases though I haven't seen them to look at the credits. He has received a lot of credit for the great work on the DVD.

So if it's not George Marino - Sterling sound who mastered the CD re-issues with Jimmy Page and it's not Kevin Shirley overseeing the mixes (but maybe not the final mastering phase itself), then who?

What say you, semi-friendly moderator? (tongue approaching cheek)

Where did I say it wasn't George Marino?

Of course George Marino did the last remasters

I said that in my post. GM and JP mastered the last set of reissues (93?). Kevin Shirley is responsible for all of the Zep remixing done in the last few years. Just wanted to clarify that he didn't master or remaster any of it.

Sorry if I took anything away from your efforts. Just getting the facts straight.

[quote name='Darth Zoso' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:51 PM' post='12022']
40th Anniversary Remasters? I think so! Mothership is probably a "sampler" of what we'll get next year.

Methinks Kevin Shirley has already done the updated mastering deed already.

The killer question is will we actually get the 5.1 high resolution surround mixes that this classic music deserves? Atlantic (Rhino actually) has gone limp on DVD-Audio but it's still out there to be used!

If The Beatles can do it (Love DVD-A),
If The Doors can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Genesis can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),
If The Moody Blues can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),
If Talking Heads can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Seal can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),
If Porcupine Tree can do it (later studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A and issuing more)

I submit there is no reason this great band's classic catalog deserves anything less.

Just tell us where to send the cash. Tell the limo driver I gotta take a leak. 'scuse me babe.....[/QUOTE]

good intentions, but unfortunately its not the entire studio catalogue if the moodies and pretty sure not for seal..?

I submit there is no reason this great band's classic catalog deserves anything less. Just tell us where to send the cash.

good intentions, but unfortunately its not the entire studio catalogue if the moodies and pretty sure not for seal..?[/QUOTE]

Um,, WE know that. If we're going to be anal about this...

* The Moody Blues *classic albums* that really matter most (the original 7)
* Seal's catalog up to System (just released Oct 2007) IS all DVD-A/CD

My point is to jack people up about surround in places where it is rarely if ever mentioned!! The message was designed to carry some weight in that environment; THEY don't know!

I tend to overlook the fact that sharing same message here will end up being overly scrutinized in a Trekkie-like manner.

I tend to overlook the fact that sharing same message here will end up being overly scrutinized in a Trekkie-like manner.

Sorry. Big time music geek here. I like getting facts right.

No need to get personal about it, I could take you to task on your obsession with Because Sound Matters. So there ya go!
:rolleyes:

It's a shame that having a rich knowledge of music is considered a bad thing. I always thought that was appreciated around here.

Big time music geek here too.

I'm not getting personal since you're not the only one picking it apart.

Recounting factoids cannot be misconstrued with a humble effort to make something out of nothing, which BSM has become. Dead horses don't plow too good; I have given up. It's far easier to do nothing so I'll go with that.

It just sucks the joy out of sharing the posts made elsewhere for our causes, making it less likely to happen here in the future.

Speaking of BSM they sent out a newsletter hooked up with Playback magazine. I'm sure the Zeppelin article will cause you grief or amusement.

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200711partners/?folio=1

It's a shame that having a rich knowledge of music is considered a bad thing. I always thought that was appreciated around here.

I missed this the first read...

This is similar to my feeling that efforts to forward the surround music cause whenever and wherever possible was appreciated.

I'd call this a draw.

Tim, your efforts are NOT unappreciated; far from it ... and I always appreciate Dave's input as well. I can relate to the frustration of having the whole thing being dangled just out of our reach.

I had great hopes for Because Sound Matters, but then they wouldn't ship out of the USA ... which ultimately didn't matter because they didn't actually sell anything anyway. Warner has so many legacy titles to choose from, you would think they would recongnize a money-maker ... especially when it is pointed out to them. Hell, they won't even reissue DVD-Audio titles they already sold.

Now I just feel like a chump every time I get a spam e-mail from BSM pushing CDs I have no intention of buying. Live and learn. Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just didn't want a year to go by and then wonder "maybe if we'd been more persistent..." but BSM were simply in over their heads. They were probably 2-3 years too late, relative to the major label suicides.

I'm mixing my own material for 5.1 on DVD-A to keep my mind off it.

Tim, I appreciate info. you provided as well. I could tell the intent of your info. provided in Led Zep forum. I am also really disappointed in Warners Because Sound Matters(lack of effort). I know its on a different music label but had hopes that U2's Joshua Tree would come out in surround or at least in Stereo Sacd but looks like no one in U2's camp truely cares about sound quality either.

Here is a link from John Davis who worked on LZ Mothership:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132875

There is some hope at least that something good will come out of Led Zep in 2008.

"40th Anniversary Remasters? I think so! Mothership is probably a "sampler" of what we'll get next year."

Methinks Kevin Shirley has already done the updated mixing deed already.

The killer question is will we actually get the 5.1 high resolution surround mixes that this classic music deserves? Atlantic (Rhino actually) has gone limp on DVD-Audio but it's still out there to be used!.....................................

I'm glad someone's trying to spread the word of Hi-rez 5.1 beyond the QQ borders. As always, we need more titles. And Zeppelin studio albums would be perfect candidates.

Keep up the good work! (y)

Tim, I appreciate info. you provided as well. I could tell the intent of your info. provided in Led Zep forum. I am also really disappointed in Warners Because Sound Matters(lack of effort). I know its on a different music label but had hopes that U2's Joshua Tree would come out in surround or at least in Stereo Sacd but looks like no one in U2's camp truely cares about sound quality either.

Here is a link from John Davis who worked on LZ Mothership:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132875

There is some hope at least that something good will come out of Led Zep in 2008.

Wow, they are fairly swarming him but he seems to have a very good nature. Thanks for the link and mentioning 5.1 there also.

I seriously thought the mastering was much further along, but the 1994 efforts still fall short.The newsletter link I provided earlier is actually in agreement with this. 13 years later and we're still not experiencing the best?

Hard to say about the U2 camp; 5.1 Joshua Tree has been a stubborn rumor since the DTS days. They also said the kinda liked the Negativeland U2 spoof and would keep the Island lawyers at bay, but Negativeland got sued nearly out of existence anyway. Sheesh.

I'm glad someone's trying to spread the word of Hi-rez 5.1 beyond the QQ borders. As always, we need more titles. And Zeppelin studio albums would be perfect candidates.

Keep up the good work! (y)

Thanks.

Given the evolving state of the mastering, the show is definitely not over yet. Given the admission that he worked with what, the 1610 copies? shows that we still got a good ways to go.

*Maybe* this is our moment when the multi-tracks get considered properly and surround "rears" it's head? [pun alert sorry] Perhaps it could not have been part of earlier conversations because of the lack of access to this source material for such an undertaking. Man, decades just drift by!

Last edited:
Back