Sub Sonic Filter for Turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to say this....and I may be misunderstanding what is really happening...but consider this.

I have ripped my vinyl, with subwoofer engaged....and the rumble in the finished product is there. (Flac via Foobar)
I then (just recently) decided to re-rip the same vinyl, with the sub turned off. I still hear the rumble, when I turn it up. So, there is that.

Does that mean that the rumble is coming from the TT somewhere? Or not necessarily?
Can you post a bit of what you ripped (preferably the end of one song into the start of another so we can hear deadwax)? I'm wondering if what you are calling rumble may not be 60 cycle hum.

Another thing to try is DeNoiseLF from the same guy who wrote ClickRepair. I've recently gotten in the habit of using it to eliminate rumble and hum from my captures and it works well. Though I only do it Because I Can, in my situation I haven't found the rumble to be obvious during normal listening. I can really hear it when I set DeNoiseLF to just output what it's removing, though!
ClickRepair is a great program, and I'm sure that one is also but I've never tried it. When I get a rip with low frequency issues I sum to mono everything below 72 Hz. I wouldn't be surprised if that program is doing the same thing.

ClickRepair is a great program, and I'm sure that one is also but I've never tried it. When I get a rip with low frequency issues I sum to mono everything below 72 Hz. I wouldn't be surprised if that program is doing the same thing.
Could well be, though it has settings for "Rumble - General" and "Rumble - Stereo". Most of what I'm doing lately is 78s captured in stereo and I find that using both methods sequentially works great.

It also has a Hum setting and it's shocking to me how much it finds even though I can never hear it in any kind of normal listening. When you set it to just output the hum it's removing, you hear far more than you'd expect. Unlike the rumble, I can't hear a before and after difference with the hum.

Some records have more hum than others, which suggests to me that it's baked in. Now I need to see what it does with a very hum-filled Dora Hall track because the world needs more Dora Hall.

Back in the day... We're talking 80's here, there was a product called "warp-knots". Male to female RCA barrels that went between your turn-table and pre-amp.

1609030307719.png

If you google that you should find discussion threads and alternatives.

Oh, and I won't say I read every word posted above, but in case it wasn't mentioned, try taking the clear cover of your turntable completely off. Closed is better than open, but completely removed is the best.

I will also admit to having a separate from anything else turntable stand, filled with red bricks.

One step away from cutting a hole in the floor, to leave a one inch gap around a granite peer sunk into bedrock below your house, as a turntable stand ;0)

I left out a couple:

- Hum is being mistaken for rumble.

- A low frequency resonance in the pickup-arm/cartr9idge combo.

Could well be, though it has settings for "Rumble - General" and "Rumble - Stereo". Most of what I'm doing lately is 78s captured in stereo and I find that using both methods sequentially works great.

It also has a Hum setting and it's shocking to me how much it finds even though I can never hear it in any kind of normal listening. When you set it to just output the hum it's removing, you hear far more than you'd expect. Unlike the rumble, I can't hear a before and after difference with the hum.

Some records have more hum than others, which suggests to me that it's baked in. Now I need to see what it does with a very hum-filled Dora Hall track because the world needs more Dora Hall.
I trust for 78s you are folding the entire file to mono after declicking, not just the bass.

Back