Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a close miss that was for a quad reel... they managed to get the stereo version out but then Ampex decided to close up shop.

At some point, I'm going to create a list of all current and upcoming MOFI SACDs that are albums that have Quadraphonic and/or 5.1 mixes, so that way when people suggest a Quad or 5.1 mix for reissue by Audio Fidelity, they can look on that MOFI list and see if MOFI have already released or are about to release an SACD of that album themselves.
Cause we all know that once MOFI (or even Analogue Productions) releases an SACD of a particular title, it's a no go area for Audio Fidelity. (At least for a certain number of years.) :(

(On a more positive note, this happens to be my 4000th post!) :banana:

At some point, I'm going to create a list of all current and upcoming MOFI SACDs that are albums that have Quadraphonic and/or 5.1 mixes, so that way when people suggest a Quad or 5.1 mix for reissue by Audio Fidelity, they can look on that MOFI list and see if MOFI have already released or are about to release an SACD of that album themselves.
Cause we all know that once MOFI (or even Analogue Productions) releases an SACD of a particular title, it's a no go area for Audio Fidelity. (At least for a certain number of years.) :(

(On a more positive note, this happens to be my 4000th post!) :banana:

First and foremost, Ryan....Congrats on your 4000th Post!

Yes, a list of MoFi titles that have been and will be released which previously had a 4.0 or 5.1 counterpart would be ideal......but ultimately depressing, IMO, as the chance of them ever receiving a proper SACD release with ALL layers (CD/Stereo/QUAD) cranking might never be a reality.

Off the top of my head, the list will encompass some VERY sought after surround titles and with the imminent demise of physical discs (next year, the year after) what is the chance of them ever reaching fruition?

I've been saying this for years on other forums, but it's worth repeating: For SURROUND to ever "take off" in any measurable way, it would take a high profile current artist to come out with an album in surround that could prove once and for all that it's NOT a gimmick and that digital, NOT vinyl, is REALLY WAY, WAY COOLER. The hardware is in place but with the current crop of compressed RBCDs which is a main reason vinyl has made the resurgence it has, having NEW artists with clout take this leap would, IMO, create the BUZZ surround needs to create a impact.

A scant few years ago, Audio Fidelity was releasing Gold RBCDs and Vinyl. Now they're forging ahead with a surprisingly robust 'steamroller' of QUAD SACD titles....something QQ posters could only dream of in the not too distant past.

So is it really impossible to envision 2016 artists embracing a similar path?

Stay tuned!

I'm really pleased AF did Child Is Father To The Man - a relatively obscure album (in the UK at least) and a great mix.

As for What's Going On, I'd love the surround mixes to come out. If necessary I'd settle for an excellent needle drop, but that's Universal's domain. They are clearly keen to exploit their back catalogue too; now if they can just improve the quality control and the customer service...

While NKC's Christmas album was a pleasant enough affair, although non~essential, I much preferred the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix of the New York Voices "Let It Snow...." which hardly caused a ripple over here at QQ. It's actually a great [audiophile] Christmas album....if you're into that sort of thing.

Agreed. I do wonder when we'll hear something new from Scheiner. It's been a while.

Wouldn't it be nice if AF released ALL of the unreleased Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remixes languishing in the vaults and call the box set "Let It RAIN....or Come Rain or Come Scheiner!"

I would, of course, be ecstatic. That said, I'd be even happier to get the LPCM currently sitting in the vaults than a (lossy) transcoding to DSD. The unreleased 5.1 mix that I most want to hear is Scheiner's Pretzel Logic. Given the quality of Scheiner's other Steely Dan and Donald Fagen mixes, it's a crime that this one is languishing in the vaults.

An EXTREMELY enjoyable Mannheim Steamroller MLP 24/96 DVD~A 5.1, exquisitely recorded with a very discrete and totally immersive surroundfield is "Mannheim Steamroller Meets The Mouse" described as unique musical creations based on Disney songs.

From Chim Chim Cher~ee to Zip~A~Dee~Doo~Dah to Hakuna Matata from Lion King to a haunting When You Wish Upon a Star and closing with an eerily effective Mickey Mouse March complete with Children's Chorus, this stunner of an album is sure to please. A few used copies are available from AmazonUS but reviews were negative because the album apparently did NOT play in Acura cars equipped with DVD~Audio players.

The DVD~A sounds amazing on my system and it comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

http://www.amazon.com/Mannheim-Stea...Mannheim+Steamroller+DVD-Audio&tag=acleint-20

If some aren't familiar with Laura...here is another album in her catalog...which is on SACD...listen to this voice

[video=youtube;qLM5KtDMS88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLM5KtDMS88&list=PL94gOvpr5yt162_e-cAwKpqgI0eRftg8v[/video]

If some aren't familiar with Laura...here is another album in her catalog...which is on SACD...listen to this voice

[video=youtube;qLM5KtDMS88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLM5KtDMS88&list=PL94gOvpr5yt162_e-cAwKpqgI0eRftg8v[/video]

I have that wonderful SACD, Clint and it does come highly recommended but is sadly OOP. I hope AF releases her Columbia Records (SONY) back catalogue albeit on Stereo SACD as this woman was a MARVEL to behold.

http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=567#tracks

Now that Sony Music owns the rights to Pink Floyd again, perhaps they could get the Meddle/Animals/AHM quad tapes ;)

Now that Sony Music owns the rights to Pink Floyd again, perhaps they could get the Meddle/Animals/AHM quad tapes ;)

I honestly don't care who owns what, as long as those Multichannel mixes see the light of day. My money has been gathering dust waiting for them to put those out... :)

Something needs clarification here.
Neither Sony nor Warner Music own the rights to Pink Floyd recordings. Pink Floyd do.
Sony is simply the current distributing record label.
That role did belong to Warner Music for a few years when Warner acquired Parlophone, but that distribution deal appears to have ended when Sony took over distribution.
What does this all mean? It means that Pink Floyd still have the final say over if, when, and how something is released as it's their recordings and their right to do with them as they wish.

That depends on the licensing deal that Pink Floyd has with Analogue Productions as well.
Something that would have to be explored by other reissue labels.

Brian, since AF is doing Fresh Aire 8 by Mannheim Steamroller they should also look into the Mannheim Steamroller Disney 5.1 extravaganza [MS Meets The Mouse]. I listened to it the other night and it's really a marvelous album complete with Sound effects and the roller's inimitable style.

An absolutely stunning audiophile recording with a state of the art 5.1 remix. 96/24 DVD~A was my reference. Tons of FUN and much better than you think!

And of course we ALL want the Blue Jays (Hayward/Loge) in 4.0. I have the dolby b encoded Open Reel [AMPEX] and it was always one of the best sounding reels in my collection (from my recollection).

I have that wonderful SACD, Clint and it does come highly recommended but is sadly OOP. I hope AF releases her Columbia Records (SONY) back catalogue albeit on Stereo SACD as this woman was a MARVEL to behold.

http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=567#tracks

Ya know Ralphie..I thought I had that SACD...but to my dismay I didn't...BUT...thankfully there are people out there selling these Out Of Print titles...so I grabbed one last week and have played it several times and I can highly recommend it

002.jpg

some people don't like artists doing cover songs...but there are some excellent covers on this disc...and done quite well by Laura

003.jpg

Ya know Ralphie..I thought I had that SACD...but to my dismay I didn't...BUT...thankfully there are people out there selling these Out Of Print titles...so I grabbed one last week and have played it several times and I can highly recommend it

View attachment 25663

some people don't like artists doing cover songs...but there are some excellent covers on this disc...and done quite well by Laura

View attachment 25664

Great find, Clint and with sonics to match. Only wish ELI had such stunning sonics. Still can't wait for THAT one.

Back