Suggestions for inexpensive surround system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadfish

Hi folks, I've been preoccupied with life events outside the realm of surround sound. Please don't criticize, but I had to downsize my wonderful "legacy" quadraphonic system I enjoyed for 20 some years in 2019. That being said, I would like to acheive some level of satisfactory listening pleasure with a small surround system consisting of a sound bar, small surround speakers and a sub woofer.

Also, I am wondering if there is a decent universal disc player available in the $500 price range?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Best regards, Rick

Behringer UMC-1820 audio interface
5 powered KRK Rokkit 6.
Some subwoofer.

You probably have a computer with USB ports already.

Might not win awards next to some boutique system but it would wipe the floor with what most of your friends have and have you listening to genuine discrete 5.1 audio. You have access to all digital formats with the computer and in their fullest quality.

The UMC-1820 has 10 analog outputs. That would let you do 7.1, 7.1.2, or 5.1.4. If you ARE interested in hanging ceiling speakers and going for full Atmos, the Dolby media player app for $400 is the only option right now to decode that format extension. (It's the new kid on the block and they're interested in forcing some hardware AVR sales at present.) But you said "inexpensive". And 10 or 12 channels of speakers and amps is NOT "inexpensive"!

I've heard way worse sounding speakers for a lot more money than the lowly KRKs. That modest featured audio interface is solid and a lot of bang (channels) for the buck.

Back