Surround Master v2 LED's are dead?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Soundfield

We published instructions on removing the front panel and knobs to gain access to the front PCB HERE:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-discussion-thread.26116/page-13#post-432916

Its a pain in the arse but it would be easier to paint over the LED's with err um probably a black???? or its surface mount resistor time with a microscope

View attachment 44207

They are all on the front panel, recon you would need to use in excess of 10K as the eye is very logarithmic
Oh damn, yes, I'd forgotten it was all surface mount stuff - I don't think my eyes are up to the task, if only they were 5W wirewound jobs I might have a go! Will have to be a few dabs of paint!

The replacement board arrived today from Involve Audio and........Old Blue Eyes is back!
:SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB :SB

SMv2 Fixed.jpg

Wow that is extra cool! They do the job but how do the light dims look otherwise? A little tacky or they fit in aesthetically?
Better idea than mine I just put solarshield sunglasses on the unit.

Wow that is extra cool! They do the job but how do the light dims look otherwise? A little tacky or they fit in aesthetically?
Better idea than mine I just put solarshield sunglasses on the unit.
To all intents and purposes Sonik they are invisible on a black panel - hence rather difficult to photograph (!), but here goes-
P1030018.JPG

and at just 9 quid were probably cheaper than your sunglasses!

I turned on the SM v2 yesterday and noticed that all but one of the LED's were not working. I unplugged the unit from the Monster surge suppressor for a few minutes, plugged it back in, but the LED's are still dead. @chucky3042 or @Overture any ideas as to what has happened and how to fix it from here? The unit still appears to be otherwise working properly with full output from all four channels and no distortion.

It seems that my poor little blue-eyed monster has gone almost blind!

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

View attachment 43995
Your SM must be the sibling of mine
IMG_20220213_202541.jpg

Hi Scott
Really strange, could you confirm the version and your current address and we will send you a replacement front panel. The video of how to replace it is in one of the threads on qq.

Could you please then send the dud back to us for investigation.
Regards

Chucky

Hi Scott
Really strange, could you confirm the version and your current address and we will send you a replacement front panel. The video of how to replace it is in one of the threads on qq.

Could you please then send the dud back to us for investigation.
Regards

Chucky
Thanks Chucky, will do so this week.
Regards
Scott

It has been my experience that blue LEDs have a high failure rate. They are especially subject to surges. I have had to add current limiter circuits to my blue Christmas strings to keep them from failing fast.

Only send the dud front panel assembly back to us AFTER you receive the replacement module. Can you PM me your address for delivery
Chucky, my entire SMv3 just stopped working. It blew up, nothing remains. Can you please send me a brand new one and I will return the dust from the one I had?

Back