Survey (music related) by Dolby Labs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting.

Made me laugh a bit.
The poll had 2,000 participants.

70% of those that “paid” for a subscription service were concerned about audio quality.

Maybe I missed it but, I don’t recall the article stating how many of the 2,000 paid for a subscription service. Might be that less than 50% of responders use anything more than a basic free service.

I love polls, use the data you want, omit what doesn’t work so well for you.

In my case, I got a Craig 2610 mono compact cassette recorder in late 1969 and a pocket AM radio in 1971 (listened to WHB 710 quite a lot). From these low fidelity beginnings, I got a good quality home stereo system in 4Q1972 (my Sony TA-1150 was designed to be a Quad control center, but I didn't upgrade to Quad until 1991).

I don't know if this survey implies that "Gen Z" is likely to follow an upgrade path from Lo-Fi to (home or car) Hi-Fi though.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Well...Dolby Labs is a for profit organization, having accurate market info is important to them so they can maintain (and increase) their profits in the markets for which they have products/services.

(I don't have a phone capable of playing streaming audio/video content, I'd be interested to know how the streaming audio quality is when played thru a good quality home audio system)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
It would be great news if that was true but we all know that it's not. The masses don't care about sound quality, most are unaware that higher quality exists or are completely oblivious to the fact!
I partly disagree...I think there are a lot of folks out there that DO care about sound quality, but they just aren't educated. Think about it like this...high end audio stores are rare nowadays, so really where do people shop? Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc. All the big box places, in which information and education on audio (and video) is bereft! People shop by price these days more often than not, but if marketing actually pushed out the benefits of hifi and sales people were educated on hifi, I'd be willing to bet my entire 7.1 system that the sales results would = survey listening behaviors and people wanting better sound quality. :)

Back