Technics quad system is here- only getting stereo??- short video included

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8trackman

hey everyone I finally have everything hooked up, my equipment is as follows

4-channel (PRE?)-amp- Technics SU-4600

Quad Deck- Technics RS-858DUS

Turntable- Technics SL-3200

Speakers- Technics SB-X3's (x4)

Remote- Technics SH-1010

my problem is that I am only getting 2 speakers to work when trying to play back quad tapes, initially I thought it was a blown speaker, however I tested all four and they seem to work when attached to the front channel inputs

ive been trying to set this up and I am getting a bit frustrated, but here are some pictures, I will keep you posted with my progress (or lack of it......)

I am very happy with the sound quality of both the tape deck and record player, tape player is a bit squeaky but bearable

rs858002.jpg

rs858003.jpg

rs858004.jpg

rs858009.jpg

rs858005.jpg

[video=youtube;u7bh12GVHy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7bh12GVHy4[/video]

[video=youtube;VShU9bv_kgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShU9bv_kgw[/video]

It is hard to tell from the picture, do you have the Q8 player's outputs connected to; Tape Deck 1 playback, Tape Deck 2 playback, Aux 1, or Aux 2? (It's great that you have so many options).

Just a couple quick thoughts:

Change your "Mode" switch on the amp. Discrete 4ch should be the correct setting for your eight track, but any of the matrix modes will try to decode the front channels and send something to the rears. this will at least tell you if the rears are working out of the amp. If you get something from the rears doing this then it may be likely that it is a problem with the 8 track player.

If you determine that it is the eight track player, make sure there is nothing obstructing the "Quad Slot (notch)" on the upper left of the cart. If there is a problem with the lever that rides in that slot, the player would think that it is a two channel stereo cart and only play the front channels.

You could also swap the front and rear plugs coming out of the 8 track player, this will tell you if your getting anything out of the rears of the player.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!!

Spence

got it working.... newb mistake- you solved it Q-Eight! congrats lol

the back panel of the SU-4600 has a switch to change the setting from 2 speakers to four- as can be seen here located directly to the left of the circuit protector fuses (old pic with everything unconnected, but its very clear so might as well use it again)- I forgot to switch it to four channel mode

P1010974.jpg

so I now have quad playback!!!! and the remote works perfectly, just need to move the speakers again to match up with the remote....its works though and I am quite happy

One little switch - the difference between a merely ordinary musical listening experience and a heavenly musical listening experience!

\:^)

Doug

Also, as a big proponent of CD-4, I have to say these things:

\:^)

I guess I'm not clear as to whether that amp has a built-in CD-4 demodulator. If it does, you need to get a Panasonic/Technics strain gauge cartridge if that amp supports them or a CD-4 magnetic cartridge if not so you can play CD-4 records as Technics was squarely in the CD-4 corner back in the day.

If there is no built-in CD-4 demodulator, get a Technics SH-400 AND a strain gauge cartridge as this is pretty much the ultimate in CD-4 playback.

Doug

unit is working great, have some questions though

will it harm the unit to play stereo back in the discrete four channel mode?

I ask because I like having sound come out of all 4 speakers, and going from quad to stereo with only the 2 front speakers is annoying, id rather just keep it on the four channel setting....... I thought the RS-858DUS plays stereo tapes out of all four speakers- it did when I had computer speakers hooked up to it

yes I definitely need to get working on building a operational SQ/QS/CD-4 system, there's so much equipment to choose from, I think I will start with getting the sh-400 + those special cartridges (CD-4 seems to be the most difficult system to get operational so I should start tackling that first)

I should buy some CD-4 records too lol

I suspect that your RS-858DUS is playing stereo tapes out of all four channels, Because normally in 4-ch discrete, if no signal is present at the rear than nothing would play in the rear. Has to be the 8 track player giving you double stereo, not the 4ch discrete mode. And yes it's fine to leave it in the 4ch discrete mode. You could always try to play you stereo carts using the matrix modes and come up with some synthesized quad.

Spence

thanks Duckland, not sure what my next step will be as my turntable has died - lights up but no movement- buy a TOTL technics unit or get it fixed?

at the moment I am just scanning kijiji for a Technics aluminum cassette deck

I am also looking for a wood case for the su 4600, so I am hoping to buy a su-3400 or st 3400 as they look roughly the same size

Back