'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'm EXTREMELY interested in the 5.1 mix, and I already have it... LOL! I will stick with the ALAC tracks I imported into iTunes from the CDs stereo mix.
That's what I did. I ripped the CDs to ALAC... if you rip the Blu-ray you'll find indexing errors; most tracks don't start in the right place.
Very happy with the CD rips here!

Incidentally, has anyone managed to use MakeMKV to rip this to open in DVD Audio Extractor? I get an error that Blu Rays are encrypted and can't be extracted, yet I have the same settings I used in both apps to rip previous Blu Rays, including Sgt Pepper...

Incidentally, has anyone managed to use MakeMKV to rip this to open in DVD Audio Extractor? I get an error that Blu Rays are encrypted and can't be extracted, yet I have the same settings I used in both apps to rip previous Blu Rays, including Sgt Pepper...

I had that problem with the Guns 'n' Roses Appetite For Destruction Blu-Ray. Updating MakeMKV and/or restarting your computer should solve the problem.

I did so with MakeMKV and DVD-AE and had no problems. But given that I use a Mac, I first had to make a decrypted copy the BluRay in MakeMKV and then rip with DVD-AD.

I did so with MakeMKV and DVD-AE and had no problems. But given that I use a Mac, I first had to make a decrypted copy the BluRay in MakeMKV and then rip with DVD-AD.
Yes. make either a copy of the disk or an MKV backup, then extract with DVDAE. Its not just Mac, you have to do the same thing with Windows too.

I had that problem with the Guns 'n' Roses Appetite For Destruction Blu-Ray. Updating MakeMKV and/or restarting your computer should solve the problem.
Yup that was it. MakeMKV was up to date, but rebooting fixed it. As a former desktop support tech, I am mortified that I did not reboot before posting in this thread.... :oops::D

Heads up: the 2018 box set containing the multichannel mix is currently £80.47 here @ Amazon UK (other Amazons may have reduced the price of the box set as well). It's still a tad rich for me so I plumped for the 2018 non-Esher vinyl release instead [link] which has also been reduced (now £25.20); the Esher vinyl release [link] is also reduced :)

Although I bought the 2018 2-LP set last week (the one without the Esher demos), it's only now that I've gotten round to giving it a clean and playing it... and although I'm only on side 2, I think it sounds fantastic. It seems to have retained that slightly gnarly sound that you just don't get on a Steely Dan record but yet, it still sounds crisp and clear so I think Giles got it spot on as far as that cul-de-sac is concerned.

In the end, I didn't plump for the expensive box set as I'm not interested in extras - a CD/BDA only release would have been a different matter. But now that I've heard how good the vinyl is, I think I'd be more inclined to spring for the box set if it drops in price again*. Anyway, in my mind, that's two vinyl hits out of two: the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's vinyl release sounds great as well. Fingers crossed Abbey Road makes it three out of three :)

* I should add, I wasn't impressed with the 'loudness' of the stereo and multichannel mixes from the Sgt. Pepper's box set, so that was on my mind as well as the price.

Although I bought the 2018 2-LP set last week (the one without the Esher demos), it's only now that I've gotten round to giving it a clean and playing it... and although I'm only on side 2, I think it sounds fantastic. It seems to have retained that slightly gnarly sound that you just don't get on a Steely Dan record but yet, it still sounds crisp and clear so I think Giles got it spot on as far as that cul-de-sac is concerned.

In the end, I didn't plump for the expensive box set as I'm not interested in extras - a CD/BDA only release would have been a different matter. But now that I've heard how good the vinyl is, I think I'd be more inclined to spring for the box set if it drops in price again*. Anyway, in my mind, that's two vinyl hits out of two: the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's vinyl release sounds great as well. Fingers crossed Abbey Road makes it three out of three :)

* I should add, I wasn't impressed with the 'loudness' of the stereo and multichannel mixes from the Sgt. Pepper's box set, so that was on my mind as well as the price.

Actually Derek, if you don't play it at an ear splitting volume ..... just at moderate volume ..... you are IN THE STUDIO with the four Mop Tops......it really doesn't get any better than this. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

And I'm actually RIGHT this time!

Woo hoo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Woo Hoo"?

Here in it's original form:

Or, you somewhat younger people might remember this. (Confession: I too didn't know about the Rock-A-Teens version when the Vonage commercial came out.)

Might be time to grab that Imagine set while still available at that kind of price.

Heads up: the 2018 box set containing the multichannel mix is currently £80.47 here @ Amazon UK (other Amazons may have reduced the price of the box set as well). It's still a tad rich for me so I plumped for the 2018 non-Esher vinyl release instead [link] which has also been reduced (now £25.20); the Esher vinyl release [link] is also reduced :)

I remember thinking my buy-in price would have to start with a 6 and sure enough, I just bought the box-set for £69.50 here @ Amazon UK :)

Back