The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I struggled with the price that came to about $450 for our two tickets 3/4 of the way back and did NOT buy tickets. Hopefully there is an eventual video release:
1687550267914.png

Managed to score front row for Tears For Fears last night at Madison Square Garden. I had seen them Saturday night in Connecticut and it was great. But the NYC show was on another level. Despite being forty years into their career, TFF had never played MSG before and you could tell that Roland & Curt were very psyched to be there. Although Roland & Curt had never played at MSG before, Roland mentioned that most of their backing had actually played there in the past. Apparently guitarist Charlton Pettus was in Sinead O'Connor's band for the 1992 Bob Dylan tribute show where Sinead got booed off the stage. Roland joked that they had to give Charlton a heavy amount of sedatives before they went on stage, LOL.

20230626_222041.jpg

20230626_211557.jpg

20230626_204505.jpg

One of the evening's many highlights was this subdued version of "Suffer the Children" sung by new singer Lauren Evans. (Thanks to the YouTuber who filmed it!)

Another road trip to NYC this evening. This time to see Sparks! They're still putting on high energy shows.

View attachment 93263
I caught them in Oxford, UK earlier this month. Great set.
They did Glastonbury over the weekend and were joined by Cate Blanchett reprising her dance routine featured in Sparks video for their current single 'The Girl is Crying in her Latte'.
Love these guys!

Sparks last night in "Philadelphia adjacent" Glenside PA (within jogging distance of my house!)—a tightly sequenced and performed show; heard everything I was hoping they'd play, and it was just a perfect evening of music and entertainment. Love those dudes. My wife is also fully sold on them now too, and bought a t-shirt. Winning!

IMG_4202.JPG
IMG_4210.jpg

Finally saw Ben Folds on June 27th at the Ryman Auditorium. Ben spends a lot of his time in Nashville these days but it just never lined up before. My wife was converted to a big fan from this show as she'd only known of him peripherally. The Tall Heights duo (guitar / cello + awesome singers) opened the show with an amazing heartfelt set and then folded right into the band! They played on the new record 'What Matters Most' recorded in East Nashville (other side of the river from downtown). Everybody in the band was ace. The album producer and a local singer had cameos - playing pedal steel on one tune + singing respectively.

Here's a couple snaps and a clip offered as souvenirs.

IMG_6721.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG

Finally saw Ben Folds on June 27th at the Ryman Auditorium. Ben spends a lot of his time in Nashville these days but it just never lined up before. My wife was converted to a big fan from this show as she'd only known of him peripherally. The Tall Heights duo (guitar / cello + awesome singers) opened the show with an amazing heartfelt set and then folded right into the band! They played on the new record 'What Matters Most' recorded in East Nashville (other side of the river from downtown). Everybody in the band was ace. The album producer and a local singer had cameos - playing pedal steel on one tune + singing respectively.

Ben is awesome. (His recent autobiography is worth checking out.) I love that bit where he teaches the audience the three part harmonies to "Not the Same". The version of that on his live album is from a show that I attended, so I can say that I sang harmony vocals on a Ben Folds album! :p:D

Here's a couple snaps and a clip offered as souvenirs.

View attachment 93522 View attachment 93523

That's awesome! I really dig his last album.

Rick Wakeman - City Winery in Nashville (April 2023)

Rick Wakeman has quite the musical pedigree, having played in major bands as well as his solo catalog. He's still sharp as a tack and plays with taste and some velocity! You'll hear snippets of Yes, his solo albums (Six Wives of Henry VIII, etc.) as well as some tunes made famous by Cat Stevens, The Beatles and David Bowie. I've slightly re-sequenced this so it ends with a piano performance. The Lennon / McCartney pop tunes, as interpreted by Russian classical composers, were originally in Rick's encore. rtbluray was there to witness!

Rick Wakeman - City Winery in Nashville (April 2023)

Rick Wakeman has quite the musical pedigree, having played in major bands as well as his solo catalog. He's still sharp as a tack and plays with taste and some velocity! You'll hear snippets of Yes, his solo albums (Six Wives of Henry VIII, etc.) as well as some tunes made famous by Cat Stevens, The Beatles and David Bowie. I've slightly re-sequenced this so it ends with a piano performance. The Lennon / McCartney pop tunes, as interpreted by Russian classical composers, were originally in Rick's encore. rtbluray was there to witness!

That's really incredible.

Back