Thinking about getting into some quad vinyl...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

1. My receiver (QRX-6500) has settings for QS Synth Hall, QS Synth Surround, QS Decoder Hall, QS Decoder Surround, and Phase Matrix. Which of these, if any, will work for SQ records?

2. If I copy vinyl to the Audacity program and burn all the tracks to CD, the CD should be SQ or QS encoded as well, and should play back in QS or SQ mode just like the source LP, correct?

3. How would you guys rate the separation (percentage wise, I don't understand db's and kHz and what not) on my QRX 6500, would the separation be 50% there, 75%, 90%, etc. I know it won't be quite as good as Q8 but the fidelity will most likely be better.

Thanks all!!

If it's a Sansui probably does pretty good with QS. I'd get the Grass Roots LP.

1. My receiver (QRX-6500) has settings for QS Synth Hall, QS Synth Surround, QS Decoder Hall, QS Decoder Surround, and Phase Matrix. Which of these, if any, will work for SQ records?

2. If I copy vinyl to the Audacity program and burn all the tracks to CD, the CD should be SQ or QS encoded as well, and should play back in QS or SQ mode just like the source LP, correct?

3. How would you guys rate the separation (percentage wise, I don't understand db's and kHz and what not) on my QRX 6500, would the separation be 50% there, 75%, 90%, etc. I know it won't be quite as good as Q8 but the fidelity will most likely be better.

Thanks all!!

1.SQ goes through Phase matrix option

2.Yes...(but dont plug the cd player into the phono input)...

3.I'd take the fun of a QRX QS setting over the poor fidelity of a Q8 most times...

It does a better job on QS than on SQ as the extra special QRX circuitry is only on the QS section.

Since it is a "QS" receiver...QS vinyl would be your best bet to track down...not SQ ones. I haven't tried it recently myself, but those who study these matrix will probably tell you that given any of those settings, the SQ records will not decode as they are supposed to... music data will not be correctly placed in the soundfield. You may get some funky effects though......
Check the Discography link to see what was available in QS, the Sansui's also do the best job on simulating surround from a lot of stereo sources (not all...we have a forum here just on this subject). How the 6500 compares to Mr. Reid's 9001 <G> and "percentages"....will be a matter of opinion. John S.

Phase Matrix was Sansui's way of saying SQ without having to pay Royalties.

For SQ records and SQ cd's use Phase Matrix...the SQ records and SQ cd's WILL decode as they are supposed to.

However, QS records will decode with more separation than SQ records on this receiver, because there is more advanced circuitry on the QS settings

That's good to hear being that there are only 6 QS records I have an interest in buying, 3 of them are Steely Dan albums, 2 would be for just 1 or 2 songs on the Joe Walsh and War records, and the 6th being the Grateful Dead-Steal your face, which I don't even know what songs are on it.

SQ however has dozens and dozens I have interest in, just like the Q8 format. It's ashame there is such a limited selection of Q4 tapes.

I may try setting up a CD4 system someday, but I don't know what I need as far as cartridges, turntables, adapters, etc. So I'm gonna hold off on that for awhile... Maybe when I find/buy a QRX-777 ;) [I REALLY like the black face as opposed to the silver on the 7001. Hopefully the sides of the receiver are black too instead of the silver]. Not that I got a problem with silver, but this particular model would look better in black

Thanks for the help everyone, any info anyone might have on anything will be appreciated.

Last edited:
That's good to hear being that there are only 6 QS records I have an interest in buying, 3 of them are Steely Dan albums, 2 would be for just 1 or 2 songs on the Joe Walsh and War records, and the 6th being the Grateful Dead-Steal your face, which I don't even know what songs are on it.

SQ however has dozens and dozens I have interest in, just like the Q8 format. It's ashame there is such a limited selection of Q4 tapes.

That's interesting, because there are more QS quad records out there than anything else.

But QS was better suited to classical recordings with hall ambiance, while SQ was better suited to pop recordings.

Part of the problem is that most of the QS records released in the US were not labeled QS here, although they were in their originating countries. This is because the companies that released those records in the US were signed with SQ or CD-4. An example:

- The Who "Tommy" movie soundtrack album, film, and video are in QS. But because Polydor was signed to CD-4, nobody not in the know is aware of it by looking at the record album. Likewise, most of the later Who albums are in QS, but again, the importing record company was signed to the "wrong" system.

As for the lack of Q4 tapes, they didn't sell. This is because most of the 4-channel reel recorders sold went into home recording studios, not home quad systems.

just went by the list on QQ, is there a better list you can provide a link to? I'm only interested in the classic rock albums, and I only found 6 qs that I would pay a few extra bucks for

Back