THRAKBOX - New King Crimson boxset?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thrak is my least favorite album from the Crimson canon so I won't get this. A stand alone 5.1 on the other hand and I'm game.

Well, there goes the budget. That's everything I could ever wish for in that box!

I like the double trio era so this one's a pretty easy sell for me, and having an autumn birthday always helps a little too.

Snap and my birthday is a few days before the proposed released date as well :woopie I've come to the conclusion they do it deliberately!

Get your $$$ ready!

Looks like the THRAK reissues will be available to preorder from Burning Shed starting tomorrow.

Well despite the impending preorder and great news yesterday about THRAKBOX, many on DGM's site and on Facebook are still questioning where the 40th anniversary editions are for "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair", and Sid Smith had this response today:

We'd hoped to have Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair for this year but they aren't ready yet.

It's disappointing, but given how great THRAKBOX will be, I think I can wait (yet) another year for these other ones. Now if they still aren't here by the end of 2016, then the King Crimson reissue camp has a serious issue, but for now, I can't wait to get my THRAK on! :)

Definitely a no-brainer. :banana:

That it is - the Blu-ray discs are crammed to the gills with music.
The PABD disc contains 11 hours & 41 minutes of LPCM audio, 3 1/2 hours of which are in 5.1 and these are also included as DTS-HD MA for legacy connections.
The Video disc has 4 playlists, each one containing LPCM stereo, DTS-HD and LPCM surround as well as a surprise feature.
If sold as standalone by the majors I reckon each Blu-ray alone would go for over £30 each (I have seen a certain label issue titles with one stereo stream & one surround stream for £18) but DGM really know how to do this stuff properly and at £90 for the Box Set you really will get moneys worth.

FORGET all previous versions you may have heard - THRAK is perfect in surround and it is almost as if it were made for it. Jakko's 5.1 mix has transformed the whole album into something spectacular, there are a lot of previously unreleased items here as well - the improv album, the full Kcensington THRAK show (again mixed beautifully by Jakko), the revamped Nakano Sun Plaza show (aka Deja Vroom) in a new video transfer as well as a new version of the 5.1 that was previously on the Deja Vroom DVD and has been much improved by David & Alex at DGM, the Warfield Theatre show - it's a superb set.

That it is - the Blu-ray discs are crammed to the gills with music.
The PABD disc contains 11 hours & 41 minutes of LPCM audio, 3 1/2 hours of which are in 5.1 and these are also included as DTS-HD MA for legacy connections.
The Video disc has 4 playlists, each one containing LPCM stereo, DTS-HD and LPCM surround as well as a surprise feature.
If sold as standalone by the majors I reckon each Blu-ray alone would go for over £30 each (I have seen a certain label issue titles with one stereo stream & one surround stream for £18) but DGM really know how to do this stuff properly and at £90 for the Box Set you really will get moneys worth.

FORGET all previous versions you may have heard - THRAK is perfect in surround and it is almost as if it were made for it. Jakko's 5.1 mix has transformed the whole album into something spectacular, there are a lot of previously unreleased items here as well - the improv album, the full Kcensington THRAK show (again mixed beautifully by Jakko), the revamped Nakano Sun Plaza show (aka Deja Vroom) in a new video transfer as well as a new version of the 5.1 that was previously on the Deja Vroom DVD and has been much improved by David & Alex at DGM, the Warfield Theatre show - it's a superb set.

As if my appetite for this box wasn't already whetted enough by the list of contents, now I'm practically foaming at the mouth!
This (along with "Oranges & Lemons" & "Fragile") will make sure that my Blu-Ray player and surround setup will have lots to enjoy until the end of the year!
(Now I just need to find a way to pay for all these discs…) ;)

The price is half what the Red box was with 2 full bluray discs just the same!
Pre-ordered it from DGM. This is going to sell out quick!

There was FAR too much going on with this band on the Thrak album to be contained in stereo. The 5.1 mix will certainly be like hearing this album for the first time!

Last edited:
One other thing that is (somewhat) worth mentioning is that if you order the box set and a THRAK t-shirt from DGM Live, you get a free THRAK pillow! :violin

One other thing that is (somewhat) worth mentioning is that if you order the box set and a THRAK t-shirt from DGM Live, you get a free THRAK pillow! :violin

Feather Pillow or Down Pillow? :rolleyes:

Just ordered, I can't help but buy these box sets!

Me too. I'm especially looking forward to the Kcensington live disc with this one, as I was very fortunate to have been in the front row for this Royal Albert Hall gig and I've got great memories of it :).

Back