Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the supply chains must be pretty constrained right now. Last summer I picked up a Pioneer VSX-LX503 for $499 (least expensive 9.2 AVR out there) and the Denon 4400H was $699. The late 2019 upgrades of those models are now over $1000. Maybe when the AVRs with HDMI 2.1 start coming out the HDMI 2.0 AVRs will see deep discounts.

That VSX-Lx503 is from 2012 yet supports Atmos AND multiple height speakers? Amazing. The latest Pioneer Elite VSX LX-304 has some pretty poor reviews.

Don’t forget — these days must be Dolby Vision compatible too.
Doubt any model that old is. The list of compatible receivers at dolby.com is uselessly incomplete, appearing to include only the latest models.

But no good cuz only HDMI 2.0 and/or no longer available? Also didn’t see a MC in, just Pre-Out. Manual had very clear pics and instructions for complex setups.

There are other problems with my Sony. Every time I start it up I get video noise and blinking and have to reboot. It’s not the Apple TV 4K cuz no problem when I hooked it up directly to TV.

But even more annoying is the delay playing an Atmos music track. Remember those first dts-capable Sony AVR’s that took a few seconds to click into dts so you’d miss the track’s beginning? They’re at it again now, except it‘s more like 10 seconds (probably because they never beta-test ANYTHING). Rewinding the track in an attempt to circumvent this results in something freezing up between Tidal, Apple and Sony — then have to reboot. Sorry — can’t live with that. And won’t.

Between “Sony” and “Sorry,” only a couple letters’ difference.

Last edited:
It's worth adding that "Master" quality gets you the Tidal material available in 24bit 88, 92 and 192khz independent of the MQA stream.

For the record just wanted to amend this statement as I believe it is false. It appears that Tidal 'wraps' stereo tracks available above 44.1k in an MQA container. Their client (at least for PC) has a setting to 'software unwrap' these versions or send them on as is to an MQA capable DAC. The software unwrap process presents the stream to a non-MQA capable DAC as a 'real' above 44.1k version which was what was fooling me into thinking these were in fact real non-MQA encoded above 44.1k streams.

None of this has anything to do with Atmos on Tidal and MQA is a whole other hornet's nest so don't want to derail the conversation but have a thing about posting something that I later realize to be factually incorrect.

As you were then :)

That VSX-Lx503 is from 2012 yet supports Atmos AND multiple height speakers? Amazing. The latest Pioneer Elite VSX LX-304 has some pretty poor reviews.

Don’t forget — these days must be Dolby Vision compatible too.
Doubt any model that old is. The list of compatible receivers at dolby.com is uselessly incomplete, appearing to include only the latest models.

But no good cuz only HDMI 2.0 and/or no longer available? Also didn’t see a MC in, just Pre-Out. Manual had very clear pics and instructions for complex setups.
Pioneer VSX-LX503 is a fall 2018 model. It has Dolby Vision in addition to Atmos support. It was replaced by the 504. It does not have multi-channel in, but I don't need it anyway. The VSX-LX303 was a much worse model (and I expect the 304 is the same), but when I was in the market their price points were just $100 apart. I went with the 503 knowing that I would eventually upgrade to something that was HDMI 2.1 available whenever that happens.

If you have a subscription to Third Man Records Vault, which is vinyl, you get Tidal Hi-Fi for $5 month for as long as you subscribe. I’ve been a subscriber for years and this has suddenly become the best benefit they offer.

Okay, i will check it in a few days if it is possible to stream tidal in 5.1 on a 5.1 setup with a FireTV Stick. Would be cool for the guys without atmos setup :)
I can confirm this!!!
TV and receiver was both HDCP 2.2 capable.

So I signed up for a Hi-Fi Standard trial and download the Windows 10 Tidal app (v. 2.17) (from the Microsoft store) onto my win 10 desktop. When I log in and try to play any of the playlists listed in this thread it only plays stereo. My desktop is connected to my atmos AVR via HDMI and I can play other atmos on it from blu-ray via PowerDVD of even just atmos test files from Dolby via PowerDVD.

Is there any way to listen to the Tidal atmos tracks on a desktop or is the ONLY way to have an appletv 4k or firestick 4k?

Is there any way to listen to the Tidal atmos tracks on a desktop or is the ONLY way to have an appletv 4k or firestick 4k?
At the moment, it appears to be exclusive to the Apple TV 4K, certain Amazon Fire TV devices, and the Nvidia Shield. I would imagine that further device/operating system support will be coming later.

At the moment, it appears to be exclusive to the Apple TV 4K, certain Amazon Fire TV devices, and the Nvidia Shield. I would imagine that further device/operating system support will be coming later.
In Tidal app running through Android Tv OS in my philips 43PUS7304 TV (Atmos compatible) conected vía HDMI to my MARANTZ SR6013 works fine too.

Great thread. I have Tidal and latests Marantz sr8012 but still can not get Atmos on Tidal. More money to buy a fire stick? Scandalous lol.
We are in the same position. as i also have an Marantz sr8012. I am not going to do any investments to make things work as i am not even sure if that will solve the problem for me. I am not sure if i can get this to work in Sweden and in an discussion with people here responsible for HEOS they mentioned that they didn´t support multichannel audio. I am hoping that this was just an situation at the moment that could change

This may not be the most appropriate place to post this, but I think it's relevant and interesting.

Since going back to Tidal for Atmos, I'm increasingly interested in this Sony 360 Reality Audio format. And not so much for the purpose of listening to it through headphones (although some of those tracks sound great!). I don't think Sony would develop an entirely new object-based format and have thousands of songs mixed for it just for the sake of listening through headphones. Many may be upmixes though, not sure about that.

The article below (yes, over a year old) makes mention of both a headphone demo AND a demo in a 'sphere' of speakers; I'm not sure how that format would have been decoded in such a sphere, but it is interesting to read this. I'm hopeful that any existing AVRs w/ the other object based codecs (Atmos, DTSX, Auro 3D) would be able to support a new one via firmware update, as I won't be buying a new AVR just for this.

Regardless, this is an interesting read, and with Sony rolling out the PS5 later this year, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this happens. I've been hoping for Atmos on PS4 for awhile, and it's just never happened (meanwhile, XBOX does support Atmos). I also wonder if the reasoning for Dolby to do away with the Stereo PLII upmixing is not a direct result of all this. Sony was actually supposed to do a big PS5 press release today, but it's been pushed. Anyways, this is a good read; the rest of 2020 should be pretty interesting for the surround world!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ints-at-overdue-new-ps4-feature/#1af700c55aca

Yeah I agree. This would open a lot of surround music if implemented. This quote from the article was quite interesting...

"Sony hinted that it is looking at ways to piggy back the 360 Reality Audio system onto existing Atmos speaker set ups."

Hopefully more news further down the line. If you search on the Tidal mobile app for 360 Reality Audio there's more stuff on there than current Atmos stuff! Whole albums too - a lot of the Columbia old quads... :phones

Last edited:
My Fire Stick 4K is only outputting stereo audio while playing Atmos tracks even though I have the audio settings set to Best Available. I also have the Fire Stick inserted directly into my AVR. Thank goodness I am not paying for Tidal because this is more of a hassle than it’s worth.

My Fire Stick 4K is only outputting stereo audio while playing Atmos tracks even though I have the audio settings set to Best Available. I also have the Fire Stick inserted directly into my AVR. Thank goodness I am not paying for Tidal because this is more of a hassle than it’s worth.
Everything updated?? All firmware??

Back