Todd Rundgren Tour with quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Found the following by accident. First the link for the Wiki Web page then the exerpt mentioning quad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Rundgren

During 1977 and 1978, Rundgren attempted to tour with a true quadraphonic sound system, however it proved ultimately unworkable – despite successfully delivering high-quality sound in a concert setting – due to the enormous technical requirements involved. Since most concert arenas of the day were ill-equipped to host large towers of sound equipment in the rear of the halls, the speakers often had to be hung from the ceiling rigging. This installation could take up to two days to complete, meaning that it was necessary to send two separate sound systems, each with its own, complete set-up crew, out on the road, so that they could "leapfrog" and allow Rundgren to play dates on consecutive days, which would have otherwise been impossible. The system featured a then-new technology called "signal analysis", which required white and pink noise to be pumped through the speakers, in order to set the active equalizers so as to minimize feedback and distortion. The pink and white noise analysis had to be performed twice: once with the hall empty, and then again with the audience present, which many concertgoers found annoying. Additionally, Rundgren's insistence on personally overseeing the acoustic set-up of the system left him exhausted and unable to continue, and he pulled the plug on the experiment.

This moment in quadraphonic history brought to you by the Disgruntled Old Coot.

Of all the stuff that was recorded in the 70's, Todd had some of the best sounding productions out there. Nice rounded out bass and clear highs. Not many had quality systems then-too expensive-but I had the chance one day to hear a Todd production on a good system, I never forgot it.

Thanks Obbop. Fascinating.

My friend had a band back in the ninties and he used a self equalizing system like that (not quad, unfortunately). I used to go out in the middle of wherever they were playing and hold the microphone. It was quite the thing to hear it self-correct the response. Then we'd do it again after there were people there to get it closer. It only took a few minutes.

His band always sounded good as opposed to bands whose leader equalized the room based on his "golden ears".

Doug

It would be interesting to know what shows he used this set up for...I saw Utopia in Columbus, OH probably in March '78 or so, I certainly can't recall the speaker placement in the hall but the sound quality was better than the rest it seemed. John

I saw the RA tour in 1977 and I don't recall a quad setup. I suspect if the story is true it was earlier in Utopia history.

From QQ deep space

Wow...that was the Ra Tour I saw also.....had to google it, was March 11, 1978 with Starcastle opening. That pyarmid he climbed in the set is now preserved in a pasture in Massachusetts.

An amazing show that was.

Initiation was one of those cancelled 1975 quad releases and I think Another Live 1976 period may have been the last fertile ground for such a thing IMHO.

From QQ deep space

Wow...that was the Ra Tour I saw also.....had to google it, was March 11, 1978 with Starcastle opening. That pyarmid he climbed in the set is now preserved in a pasture in Massachusetts.

That's the tour I saw as well - I went to the show in Buffalo. IIRC, this was actually the second "pyramid" tour and was after the followup album "Oops Wrong Planet" came out. They did a short set of those songs dressed in tshirts and jeans in front of a curtain before revealing the pyramid stage setup and changing into the Ra garb.

I saw the RA tour in 1977 and I don't recall a quad setup. I suspect if the story is true it was earlier in Utopia history.

From QQ deep space

I saw TR and Utopia in 1977 as well (Wikipedia tells me it was June 5th). It was one of the "World Series Of Rock" shows at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes opened, followed by Nazareth, then Ted Nugent (back before he got all weirded out) and then Todd Rundgren. As I recall, the whole day was fun with great performances by all, and great sound for such a huge venue, however I do not recall any Quad speaker setup for that show. Pink Floyd did have a quad setup later that same month on June 25th, 1977 with the "Animals" tour. The speakers for that show were in a 12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock array....nothing short of amazing! :smokin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_of_Rock

I saw TR and Utopia in 1977 as well (Wikipedia tells me it was June 5th). It was one of the "World Series Of Rock" shows at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes opened, followed by Nazareth, then Ted Nugent (back before he got all weirded out) and then Todd Rundgren. As I recall, the whole day was fun with great performances by all, and great sound for such a huge venue, however I do not recall any Quad speaker setup for that show.

No surprise that Todd headlined as he was huge in Cleveland eh, Dennis? I was a tad too young for that show but saw Utopia twice at the Richfield Coliseum 2 years later. I would have loved to see the Ra tour.

Sorry I have no quad stories to contribute. But I'm enjoying your recollections, folks. Please carry on!

Back