DTS-CD Trouble burning .dts files on mac OS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlysleeping23

Hi all! I've been a lurker here for a loooong time, finally felt the need to post...

I've been going through an old HD that has a few albums encoded as DTS files. For a few of them, I was able to change the extension from .dts to .wav, then burned to an redbook cd using roxio. They worked like any DTS encoded audio CD should. But a few of my files that are also .dts when changed, become a 5ch PCM file. I don't have any encoding/decoding software besides VLC (which I'm not sure does anything but play back said files). I used to use Cirlinca's DVD A program back when I was running on a PC, but I'm hard pressed to find any software (except pricey Minnetoka) that can help me out on my mac. I just want to burn these files to a DTS encoded CD, or at the most, a DVD. I'm totally lost! Any advice?

Hi,

I think the *.dts files are probably two channels 48khz which when decoded become 5.1. FFMPEG may be able to convert them to 6 channels but I don't really know for certain.

Padded (*.dts) File Format

Most of systems for encoding to DTS define the option of Padded (*.dts) file type by selecting this
extension when the file is saved. Some systems define this as an option in encoding labeled as “Pad Files
with Zeroes”, or similar wording. “Padded” files include extra zeroes in addition to the audio payload and
timecode/header information. These files are stored in Motorola byte order.
Most DVD authoring systems are able to use both Padded and Compact file types.

check out parameters of the files.
DTS can be 44.1KHz 16bit which refer to Red Book CD standart, thus can be burn onto CD
in other cases DTS can be 48KHz with 16 or 24 bit or 96KHz 24bit which refer to DVD standart
and cannot be burned as an audio CD.

.dts would signify a 48khz file, which would not burn to CD. A 44.1khz DTS WAV wuld have a .wav file extension.

Getting that 48khz file to a CD is not going to happen without further loss of sound quality. You'd have to use AudioMuxer to unpack the mono wavs, resample to 44.1khz, then encode to DTS WAV using either Surcode or DTS Pro Encoder (do either of those even exist on a Mac?). That's not an ideal solution, but it will get you there.

If you don't have a resampler OR an encoder, though, your best solution is going to be a buy a pack of blank DVDs and just create DTS DVDs out of your files.

Back