(UHQCD format x MQA technology). Disc's-DAC's-Streamers and Tidal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS encoded music can sound excellent, I have some myself. Whether it is plain DTS or 24/96 is largely irrelevant, though 24/96 annoys me a little because this is a lossy format and yet it is wasting bits conveying things no-one can hear. It would be better to use those bits improving the sound quality of what people can hear.

The main reason I am OK with DTS music though is it doesn't claim to be what it isn't, it admits it is a lossy format.

What really annoys me about MQA is they claim it doesn't reduce quality when played back as a regular CD (it does), and that it is lossless high resolution when unfolded (it isn't lossless). They also claim the Authenticated part ensures it is the master and has not been modified, when it does no such thing. You can corrupt about two thirds of MQA data before the players notice and don't light the Authenticated light. It's just snake oil claims from start to finish.

At the time DTS CD came out it was the only game in town. It had better sound quality than any other way of playing digital multi channel music at the time. MQA by contrast provides no such thing, it isn't the best way of playing either stereo CD quality or high resolution lossless.

The only purpose MQA serves is as a licence fee protection racket.

but it sure does sound good !!

Another STUNNING Japanese MQA~CD which I would never have known about had it not been MQA encoded: DREAMWEAVERS

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/RINC-73?s_ssid=e42cdf62069bd3f520

Thanks for sharing about this release... I streamed it on Tidal to check it out - and like how eclectic the mood is from song to song. Not yet configured to unfold MQA ... and honestly not sold on its longevity ... but as I see more releases in this format I start to believe that it may survive.

Thanks for sharing about this release... I streamed it on Tidal to check it out - and like how eclectic the mood is from song to song. Not yet configured to unfold MQA ... and honestly not sold on its longevity ... but as I see more releases in this format I start to believe that it may survive.

I am happy to report that even MQA~UNencoded [or unfolded] MQA discs sound SUPERB! So you can buy with confidence.

As far as the longevity of the format......no one has a crystal ball. There has been so much trash talk about MQA it certainly has dissuaded a lot of potential buyers but I can assure you that of the over 60 MQA~CDs I have in my collection .... NONE of them disappoint! Hong Kong based EVOSOUND continues to release in this format and IMO produces some of the most incredible MQA~CDs in existence and they are ALL priced well below the UHQ MQA~CD Japanese product [usually $16 and under].

And be aware, even if the format dies a slow death, all your MQA~CDs will sound just fine [and even better] than their RBCD counterparts!

BTW, I'm currently spinning DREAMWEAVERS unencoded and it really is a special listening experience.

Last edited:
I can't remember a format that so polarized people. Still I don't want to make a huge investment.
The micro-dac I looked at on Amazon was only $69 bucks and has one of the ES chips in it, which seems to be a good thing, and fully certified for ever what that is worth. One could go 3.5mm jack into their pc with this one, e.g. I asked and the seller responded with that. Post #66 for link if interested in getting in on the cheap.

What we really need is…

1644701367584.jpeg

I can't remember a format that so polarized people. Still I don't want to make a huge investment.
The micro-dac I looked at on Amazon was only $69 bucks and has one of the ES chips in it, which seems to be a good thing, and fully certified for ever what that is worth. One could go 3.5mm jack into their pc with this one, e.g. I asked and the seller responded with that. Post #66 for link if interested in getting in on the cheap.
I gave up on MQA, purchased a turntable and upgraded it. I know! I’ve sunk really low. :LOL:

If anyone finds a software solution for playback/unfolding of MQA please do post up. By that I mean it works without any sort of special equipment involved.
This is not like the intuitive feeling I had when I purchased that Quad 8 track player all those years ago. An audition on the cheap could go far in making a decision.

Can you use Foobar with a component? I haven’t used it in years. So, not sure.
Well a method was posted earlier in the thread to do so, but it did not work out for me. I could have screwed up, granted, but I could not get Foobar to accept a .dll necessary to make it work, and I'm not quite sure if one needs a proper SACD DAC for this.

Well a method was posted earlier in the thread to do so, but it did not work out for me. I could have screwed up, granted, but I could not get Foobar to accept a .dll necessary to make it work, and I'm not quite sure if one needs a proper SACD DAC for this.
I just looked on the Foobar Website and did not see any MQA component. By the way, MQA and SACD are two different formats. In other words, you just need a DAC that is compatible with MQA.

I just looked on the Foobar Website and did not see any MQA component. By the way, MQA and SACD are two different formats. In other words, you just need a DAC that is compatible with MQA.
Nope, the components linked are outdated and I guess unavailable. just don't work now. The install was supposed to be a sort of "dual purpose" thing to enable MQA, and if you had the right SACD DAC to pass DSD to it. Looking at the Foo version in the screenshots this was done quite some time ago. In other words it just don't work, though it may have at one time.

Strangely enough it linked a newer version of the SACD component. Very strange.

I can listen to hard discs, digital files, and Tidal that I can completely unfold.
Best way to start, use your phone with Tidal, master recordings, a DRAGONFLY RED and a decent pair of HEADPHONES.
That is about $400.00, certainly cheaper than any part of a home rig.

I can't remember a format that so polarized people.
That is so true.
To be very honest, I think it is good, it is not great. When I listen I tend to go where I go and if it is MQA for that moment, than it is.
Probably listening to TIDAL masters with the little DAC is ultimately a better way.
BTW, if you have a Tidal account on your PC, and some good desktop speakers, you can use the Dragonfly DAC in that configuration also. $230.00 and your good to go from the PC.
I assume if you play a MQA deck through your external CD driver and you have the DAC that what comes out of speakers is MQA.
The Dragonfly has different light colors so you know when you are getting a MQA signal.

It really isn’t worth the headache when there is so much music out there available on other formats.
True, I wonder, if I was cruising on foot and bounced back and forth between Tidal Masters (MQA) or Apple Lossless, would I be able to tell the difference, I got to try that.
Still, that said, a nice little DAC attached to your phone or PC will improve sound quality for Apple and Tidal both.

Back