Universal Music Fire & Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that's the case for the 1970-1979 (post A&M-era) CTI albums? Some of them have been reissued on CD as recently as 2008 by Sony and are still for sale on amazon.com, including the first two Deodato albums and the Idris Muhammad album I mentioned previously.

That's what Audio Fidelity has found. The CTI catalog today is controlled by Universal Music Group.

That's what Audio Fidelity has found. The CTI catalog today is controlled by Universal Music Group.

Wow, that's interesting news. Is AF pursuing the CTI albums or is everything under the Universal umbrella still a non-starter?

Wow, that's interesting news. Is AF pursuing the CTI albums or is everything under the Universal umbrella still a non-starter?

Audio Fidelity is talking with all three of the major labels - Sony, Warner and Universal - about future SACD releases.
So we could see more Universal releases on SACD down the road. Time will tell.

Albums from the CTI vaults would be cool.

And not just quad, I'm OK with stereo too

While we watch for SACDs from the CTI catalog, don't forget the Stereo DSD Downloads from the CTI releases over at eOnkyo.
They are very good!

A couple of years ago, King Records in Japan released 40 CTI stereo titles as both 192kHz/24bit PCM and DSD64 downloads. Unfortunately, e-onkyo, the site that sells them region locked their site shortly after so only buyers in Japan could get them. I managed to get a couple of albums before that happened and they sound phenomenal - flat transfers with no compression done on top of the line gear. I guess if you were really VPN-savvy you could probably get through their region blocks but I failed with the two that I tried.

I hope AF continues to pursue the CTI catalog, their quad mixes and sound quality are both top notch. As with the other labels they're mining, I hope they're not only able to dig up quad mixes but maybe find a few unreleased ones in the process.

Audio Fidelity is talking with all three of the major labels - Sony, Warner and Universal - about future SACD releases.
So we could see more Universal releases on SACD down the road. Time will tell.

Please have them get that 5.1 recording of Hot Fuss by The Killers that was announced back in 2004 from Universal but never brought out.

Maybe Universal will license some stuff for SACD now that they've killed off SHM SACD. I guess they aren't making SACDs at all anymore.

After I saw your comment about SACD's...and SHM-SACD's...I posed the question to Toshi Makiya of cdJapan about the end of SHM-SACD'S...his response was that he has never heard about it...but he did mention that very few young people in Japan own a SACD capable player...he also stated that the record companies feel the SACD market is very small...which is no surprise to us in this hobby...but the jazz/classical genres are still pumping out sacds...so SACD production hasn't ceased...

A couple of years ago, King Records in Japan released 40 CTI stereo titles as both 192kHz/24bit PCM and DSD64 downloads. Unfortunately, e-onkyo, the site that sells them region locked their site shortly after so only buyers in Japan could get them. I managed to get a couple of albums before that happened and they sound phenomenal - flat transfers with no compression done on top of the line gear. I guess if you were really VPN-savvy you could probably get through their region blocks but I failed with the two that I tried.

I hope AF continues to pursue the CTI catalog, their quad mixes and sound quality are both top notch. As with the other labels they're mining, I hope they're not only able to dig up quad mixes but maybe find a few unreleased ones in the process.

Hey m8,

If you still have any interest in buying that region coded stuff you can prolly do it by a three simple tricks:

VPN isn't yer prob., that just supplies a secure connection, the store's servers will still see DNS servers which are probably out of their region.

Three tricks may let you buy from them.

1. Using a proxy server from their region(enter it into your web browser) I can help you get one if you need...
2. Use DNS servers from their region (entered into your computer's "Networking" section)
3. Buying with a PayPal account from within their region(try setting up a PayPal account and give them a Far East address.)

Tricks 1. & 2. might be enough. Using all three should definitely work.

This may be a pain but it would be the only way to buy from out of region. Damn lawyers...

Cheers!

DMJ

I was going to suggest maybe a reissue of The Isaac Hayes Soundtrack to Shaft, but I just did the research and found Stax holdings are owned by UMG. What a drag.

Hey m8,

If you still have any interest in buying that region coded stuff you can prolly do it by a three simple tricks:

VPN isn't yer prob., that just supplies a secure connection, the store's servers will still see DNS servers which are probably out of their region.

Three tricks may let you buy from them.

1. Using a proxy server from their region(enter it into your web browser) I can help you get one if you need...
2. Use DNS servers from their region (entered into your computer's "Networking" section)
3. Buying with a PayPal account from within their region(try setting up a PayPal account and give them a Far East address.)

Tricks 1. & 2. might be enough. Using all three should definitely work.

This may be a pain but it would be the only way to buy from out of region. Damn lawyers...

Cheers!

DMJ

Paypal would want to match your address given with your credit card billing address. So I doubt your trick #3 would fly.

"Some of [Steely Dan's] multitrack masters were moved to a different vault before the fire, but others were most likely destroyed."

:cry::cry::cry:

There was a bit of a silver lining to that section:
Luckily, the tapes he was concerned about, multitrack masters of Steely Dan’s first releases, turned out to have been moved to UMG’s Pennsylvania tape vault before the fire.

Azoff sent Elliot Scheiner, a celebrated record producer and mixer who had worked with Steely Dan, to confirm the tapes were intact. Aronson accompanied Scheiner to the Pennsylvania facility, the tapes were pulled, the matter was dropped. (Asked about this incident, both Azoff and Scheiner declined to comment.)

I wonder how many of those original five (Thrill through Aja) are left?

Back